Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 04:09 PM

9 posts, read 37,197 times

Advertisements

Hello. I have potential job interests in Lynchburg VA area. Wife is a nurse. Are there any large hospitals within commuting distance of 30 minutes or so that she could travele to? I also wondered what the political climate is like. Appreciate any and all responses remotely connected to Lynchburg or other nearby cities in VA. THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 09:46 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
Lynchburg is a small, conservative city. I one time read it is the largest small city in the US without an interstate going through it. There are several threads under the Roanoke category that you can search and find all kinds of information -- pro and con.

Centra Health is the web site for the hospital in Lynchburg. There are larger hospitals in Roanoke (30-40 minutes) and Charlottesville at UVA (45-50 minutes)

Good luck!

Old 01-30-2010, 07:28 PM

Default Life In Lynchburg, VA

Thank you very much for the information thus far. I have already learned a lot about this area without the visit, but am heading to Charlottesville, VA soon to really check out how much it has changed in several years.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:42 PM

895 posts, read 2,096,091 times
In many ways, Centra is a single large hospital divided into two locations. Most major medical procedures are handled in Lynchburg, with only the most critical transferred to UVa. Centra operates one of the busiest ERs in VA, has a great cancer center, and is one of the top cardiac centers in Virginia. My wife enjoys working there.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:39 AM

771 posts, read 1,581,793 times
If you loved the late Jerry Falwell, you'll love Lynchburg. Appropriately named for its attitudes towards the rest of the country. VERY narrow-minded and mean spirited.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:49 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevelo View Post
If you loved the late Jerry Falwell, you'll love Lynchburg. Appropriately named for its attitudes towards the rest of the country. VERY narrow-minded and mean spirited.

And, just out of curiousity, how much time have you actually spent in Lynchburg?

Old 02-05-2010, 01:25 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,657,350 times
I never got that ultra-conservative vibe. More conservative than Seattle--yup. But not much different than the Seattle suburbs.

Some nice snow photos around town. Does not look like a hole to me.

Slideshow - Snow Scenes 2010 | Lynchburg News Advance

Old 02-05-2010, 05:42 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Nice pictures badger74, I enjoyed them.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:00 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,889,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevelo View Post
You would be surprised that most people in this region didn't like Jerry Falwell. It was amazing to me that people in the rest of the country did!
Oddly, even Larry Flynt liked him and they became good pals. I think it was the "wheeler dealer" mentality that both of these guys had I guess. Jerry Falwell was narrow-minded but in my opinion, he was not mean spiritied, despite the popular conception by the media. He was traditional southern pastor and if you have been to the south, most are very similar. They believe if you are going to be "religious" stand for something and obviously he did.
You should come to Lynchburg, you may be surprised!

Old 02-05-2010, 09:41 PM

Wink Lynchburg: The Ral Deal??

So thus we have the conflict. Is Lychburg a lyncpin of extreme conservative values with narrow minded right wingers roaming the streets and weapon lasen paranoid immigrant hating "lilies" ready and a 'waitin? Or is it a friendly city overall with folks who keep to themselves, and generally are moderate tn their political beliefs. This of course is one of those "depending upon whose perception is viewed as.." questions. So what do YOU think? Thanks. This info is really productive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia