U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 11:31 PM

14,199 posts, read 23,890,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillywhite View Post
I'm from Britain and currently live in Oklahoma City - is there likely to be a great deal of difference in culture between Oklahoma and Virginia?
Yes, there is quite a bit of difference between Oklahoma City and the Shenandoah Valley. The valley is generally more diverse as there are colleges and universities in most town.

One of the more irritating aspects that I found in my three years in Virginia is the preoccupation as to what university you attended. It is like some people want to know where you attended school before deciding whether they wanted to associate with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 12:08 AM

845 posts, read 2,067,450 times
I would be glad that it means what Uni you went to and not what high school you went to.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:53 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,016,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
One of the more irritating aspects that I found in my three years in Virginia is the preoccupation as to what university you attended. It is like some people want to know where you attended school before deciding whether they wanted to associate with you.
I've lived here 20 and don't recall anyone ever asking me that question. If they did I'd say "Cal" and they'd have no clue what that was anyway.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:57 PM

845 posts, read 2,067,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I've lived here 20 and don't recall anyone ever asking me that question. If they did I'd say "Cal" and they'd have no clue what that was anyway.
They would know, because Cal stole the Basketball Coach from JMU in 1986, after we had made it to the NCAAs three years in a row.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:13 AM

1,295 posts, read 4,231,681 times
Just how hard is it to get in?

Old 04-14-2010, 12:16 PM

17 posts, read 39,201 times
I've lived in Harrisonburg for nine years and just posted on another thread asking about the area. Here's my post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb of Grace View Post
We've lived in Harrisonburg for nine years and love the city and R-ham county. We have three kids and live downtown. The downtown area has revived considerably in the past four or five years and new shops, restaurants and condos appear monthly. The city itself is quite safe-- my kids and I walk the 3/4 mile to the downtown from our house weekly to the library and shops. There's a large alternative-living community here (which we find very attractive), but also a great mix of traditional suburban neighborhoods. The college community is a little different than the "townies", but they're only here for half the year and they at least provide us with regular entertainment and free concerts!

H-burg is very racially diverse and I've never seen or heard of any negative racial stereotypes. There are various heritage festivals every spring and summer-- including a big International Festival every fall celebrating the myriad cultures represented in our community. You can walk through Walmart any weekday and hear at least five different languages by the time you hit the checkout, including Spanish, Russian, Kurdish, French, Imheric, and others I can't identify.

The area outside the city is very rural and downright pastoral. You can live right in farm country and be only five minutes from the mall. There is a thriving art and music community-- including a yearly Bach Festival and a downtown celebration of local artists.

Comparing to Charlottesville... in general, H-burg is smaller and a little quieter and a lot cheaper to live here. I wouldn't want to commute daily to C-ville, but we find it well within weekend-shopping/dining distance. Staunton also has a lot of great things to offer in the way of arts and entertainment, including the world's only replication of Shakespeare's Blackfriars Theater-- the home of the American Shakespeare Company.

All in all, I highly recommend this area. It has a little something for everyone! If we weren't relocating for job reasons, we'd stay here into retirement!
To add, addressing the claim that it's full of bible-thumping Walmart shoppers, I moved here from a small town in So Va and let me tell you, if you think this area is like that, you've not seen much of the small-town South. I find the heavy influence of the Brethren and Mennonite Churches (who are strong advocates of Social Justice, Pacifism and similar issues) in this area to keep local political views far, far away from radical-conservative and Bible-thumping.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:49 PM

631 posts, read 1,138,057 times
small town with mid/big school and students that like to drink (since there's not much else to do)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia