U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:40 PM

3,315 posts, read 8,772,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
Speaking of "Native American" and "American Indian" and other names, I remember a few years back (about 2006, my junior year in high school) they [the state] were pushing to re-name them "First Americans"....
In 2004, the Smithsonian's National Museum of American Indian (NMAI) opened on the National Mall in downtown DC. The Museum celebrated the grand opening with a gigantic Festival. The Festival needed a name and several ideas were submitted with the final decision being "First Americans Festival".

One reason was because the NMAI celebrates the cultural heritage of indigenous peoples throughout the entire hemisphere -- so it includes North America, South America, the Caribbean, Hawaii, Greenland, etc. It was more than "American Indians" so the name was meant to include everyone from these areas.

Similarly, Canada's indigenous folks are called "First Nations" people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 06:27 AM

203 posts, read 339,608 times
Default Moonshine mania

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Legal booze maybe...

Virginia moonshine is sold in "after hours" clubs as far west as Chicago.
"Virginia Moonshine" is "legal booze" these days. Yep, and they produce it legally right here in the Old Dominion, got all their licenses, the whole bit. And they sell it all over America. If you're 21 or over, you can check out MOONSHINE-DOT-COM's very entertaining website:
MOONSHINE

If you prefer more of a mountain flavor to your moonshine, neighboring West-by-God-Virginia now has their own LEGAL moonshine operation too. Learn more at MOUNTAINMOONSHINE-DOT-COM's website:
Mountain Moonshine

That's not gonna get rid of the ABC Stores, but it does provide the ABC Board a variety of new and interesting products to sell. Drive carefully, y'all!

Old 01-12-2013, 04:44 PM

421 posts, read 708,081 times
Is it rare to see people in ABC stores with their kids present?

Old 01-15-2013, 02:53 PM

203 posts, read 339,608 times
Cool Children and Booze

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
Is it rare to see people in ABC stores with their kids present?
In my experience, it has been rare. I think if the children are already drunk, the parents would probably have to leave them outside. However ABC's official policy these days is that children are welcomed into the store as long as they are accompanied by their parents.

I recall that when I was little, sometimes my mother took me into the ABC store (usually though, she left me in the car). Every 2 or 3 weeks, she would order two fifths of Fairfax County Bourbon, a very smooth 12-year-old 100 proof bourbon. (Great bourbon, used to be made by Smith Bowman Distilleries, the same folks who still make Virginia Gentleman). She had to order it -- and pay for it -- a week in advance, because Fairfax County Bourbon was always in limited supply.

Deliveries came once a week. And Mom had to be there on the right day to pick it up, or they might inadvertently sell it to somebody else, thinking she had changed her mind. Consequently, she sometimes had to leave work early, to make sure she got to the ABC store before their 6 p.m. closing time.

But that was long ago, when people still had to walk up to a counter, order exactly what they wanted from a clerk behind the counter, who would get it and ring it up on the spot. And then the customer just left the store. It was a rather sterile boring process in those days, and the whole interior of the store was painted a drab gray.

Later, when most ABC stores began offering "self-service" they introduced a shopping, or browsing, element to the equation, with brightly painted shopping areas, extended late night shopping hours, seven-day-a-week service in most areas, and an abundance of colorfully illustrated brochures and handouts describing all the latest alcoholic treats.

Suddenly, ABC's customers could walk around with shopping carts and select their own bottles. ("Keep going, you still have room in your cart. There's a new one over there, we just got it in ... have you tried that one yet?") ABC customers could keep shopping for hours before they had to check out, as long as they didn't pass out and their credit cards didn't go over the limit.

Just a few simple marketing changes made it possible for ABC to sell more booze to more people with fewer clerks. And their new marketing approach increased ABC sales dramatically, as they had begun providing customers with an even wider variety of new and wondrous libations with which to rot out their livers and fry their brain cells.

I think that may have also been about the time that ABC began paying closer attention to children if they came into the stores with their parents.

After all, if you managed the store, you wouldn't want little Booper sitting in the child seat of Mommy's shopping cart and sampling the merchandise while Mommy shops, and then puking all over the place in front of all your other customers, would you?

And if you managed the store, you probably also would NOT want little Booper reaching down into the cart and gleefully throwing the nice shiny bottles out of the cart to smash on the floor because they make such a fun noise. Would you?

But if you scream at the little bastard, or smack him, or make an agressive move towards him, you know that his Mommy is going to call the cops and then you'll be charged with child abuse.

And then when little Booper gets a little bigger, maybe like 7 or 8, then you have to worry about him coming into the store wearing a baggy jacket with big pockets, because you know damned well he's going to be shoplifting ... and you don't dare be mean to little Booper because you know that his Daddy is the Mayor of the town, and his Grand-Daddy is the Chief Judge, and you will surely be destroyed in one way or another.

So maybe the first few times you look the other way and let little Booper steal himself a little booze. Maybe Booper's getting it for his Grand-Daddy. And you don't want to know about their family business.

But eventually, if you're managing the store, you will want to establish firm rules to regulate children's behavior while in the store. That way you are less likely to get into any trouble.

And if little Booper is already looped, Mommy can just strap little Booper down in the child safety seat before she comes into the store. Mommy can give little Booper his own brand new bottle of booze when she gets back to the car, and you won't know anything about it, and it won't be your problem.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:19 AM

2,777 posts, read 3,019,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Just for your education - all of us are transplants. The Indians migrated across the Bering land bridge from Asia approximately 11,000 years ago (though there are some theories that some came earlier). There were no humans in the New World prior to that. The only ORIGINAL natives in this world are those in Africa whose people never left following the first appearance of homo sapiens there.
Bingo. I always shudder when American Indians are called "Native Americans". No humans are native to the Americas as you said.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:57 AM

1,444 posts, read 2,114,977 times
I like knowing where the Drunks are in my area. In my area (at least) it is cool to drink and drive apparently. So I stay away from the ABC store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia