Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:50 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times

Advertisements

Let's drop the whole Indian thing as it's veered the thread way off course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 12:00 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,346,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Let's drop the whole Indian thing as it's veered the thread way off course.
You originated "the whole Indian thing".

Again, why not impose restrictions on NON Native Americans? Its a fair question.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:40 PM

I am a native American as are most people in the Commonwealth and we enjoy a cocktail or two. As to the non-native Americans (immigrants from outside the U.S., including Indian Americans) I'm sure many of them do too. Does that answer your question? Many places here are underserved with few ABC stores. Would be nice if folks could just buy it at the grocery store like in most states.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:45 PM

50 posts, read 56,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
You originated "the whole Indian thing".
True.

Quote:
I am a native American as are most people in the Commonwealth and we enjoy a cocktail or two. As to the non-native Americans (immigrants from outside the U.S., including Indian Americans) I'm sure many of them do too. Does that answer your question? Many places here are underserved with few ABC stores. Would be nice if folks could just buy it at the grocery store like in most states.
Since you prefer playing word games, then you also realize that we've been speaking about the ORIGINAL Native Americans - not the transplants.

If EITHER Native or transplanted Americans want to imbibe and not utilize the ABC stores, then they'll need to take that desire to another state, because of VA's current laws - which I still believe are the best in the land.

As to your mean-spirited...
Quote:
Your experience means nothing as it's based on lack of knowledge and does not coincide with reality.
...I assure you, my experience is based on knowledge, and coincides with reality - even if it isn't YOUR reality. Please do not attack me personally again, or you will be reported to the moderators > .

Old 02-08-2010, 04:24 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Quote:
No you're wrong. They mostly call themselves Indians or American Indians. Why do you think it's called the "National Museum of the American Indian" and not the "National Museum of the Native American?". The museum opened in the 21st century (2004) so I'm assuming that's still the preferred term. Also there's the "Bureau of Indian Affairs". You might want to check your facts before you correct people.
I worked for the National Museum of the American Indian and yes, "American Indian" is the preferred term. "Native American" can refer too much to an American who is native to this country, similar to the use of the word "native speaker" (meaning those of us who speak English as the native language of this country)."American Indians" also includes the word "Indian" which translates to many Latin-based languages to "indigenous" which means original inhabitants ofwith this continent. BTW, American Indians themselves do not totally agree 100% with this term.

Same with other terms like "tribe". Many indigenous folks do not use this word and prefer "nation". And now there is the change-over from white-applied names like "Navajo" back to "Dine" or "Ho-chunk" instead of "Winnebago", etc.

Best thing to do when referrring to indigenous anything is to ask the group what they prefer and also the proper spelling of things.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
I worked for the National Museum of the American Indian and yes, "American Indian" is the preferred term. "Native American" can refer too much to an American who is native to this country, similar to the use of the word "native speaker" .
Or as in Native Virginian or Native Washingtonian. Perhaps now Sunflower will admit she was wrong and will check her facts before making unfounded corrections of others.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunFl0wer View Post
then you also realize that we've been speaking about the ORIGINAL Native Americans - not the transplants.
Just for your education - all of us are transplants. The Indians migrated across the Bering land bridge from Asia approximately 11,000 years ago (though there are some theories that some came earlier). There were no humans in the New World prior to that. The only ORIGINAL natives in this world are those in Africa whose people never left following the first appearance of homo sapiens there.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:31 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,783,368 times
Speaking of "Native American" and "American Indian" and other names, I remember a few years back (about 2006, my junior year in high school) they [the state] were pushing to re-name them "First Americans"....

That was the term that appeared on that year's SOL test/pre-test. First Americans. Obviously that didn't take off like the Board of Education had anticipated.

As far as the elimination of ABC stores...its a bit of a mixed bag for me.

It would be nice to have the sell of alcohol turned back over to the private sector. Competition is almost always good for consumers and in the current situation, the state-run monopoly can gouge the consumer for as much as it wants completely unchecked.

But I also respect the need for a bit of regulation that is easier done when that industry is in the hands of the state government.

I work in a retail situation where I sell alcohol and I to be perfectly honest...there have been times when I have forgotten to card people. Its one thing not to card someone for a beer, but I can imagine if you forgot to card someone for hard liquor and someone found out, you'd probably be in a bit of trouble.

Does anyone know how the state uses the proceeds of their ABC business? Knowing it was being used for something of good use (like education) might ease my concerns.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Just for your education - all of us are transplants. The Indians migrated across the Bering land bridge from Asia approximately 11,000 years ago (though there are some theories that some came earlier). There were no humans in the New World prior to that. The only ORIGINAL natives in this world are those in Africa whose people never left following the first appearance of homo sapiens there.
Well the Bering Strait theory arises in 1904 and was the leading theory for a very long time and is being opposed by many American Indians. Some argue that indigenous peoples were here before the continents ever split up. Others argue that indigenous peoples came from what is now Japan and Russia and sailed along the western coastal regions of North America, settling into parts of what is now the USA and some continued further south and settling into what is now Mexico and then South America.

And then there's another theory that African settlers came across the
Atlantic Ocean and settled along the eastern regions.

Once reason much of this arose is that indigenous peoples differ physiologically, IOW the Quechua (former Inca) look very different in height than let's say, the Lakota who are typically very tall and muscular.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Or as in Native Virginian or Native Washingtonian. Perhaps now Sunflower will admit she was wrong and will check her facts before making unfounded corrections of others.
Well, maybe she just did not know and now we have shared some information with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia