Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2010, 01:10 AM

82 posts, read 396,614 times

Advertisements

I'm 23 Lived in north jersey all my life, Been living in danville for 6 months I got my views what's everyone elses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 12:32 AM

542 posts, read 991,943 times
I can only imagine what your impression of the place is. Especially being from northern NJ! I had a friend that lived outside of Danville for a while and when we would go in I was never really impressed. Given that it's main employers such as the textile industry dried up and it's changing over to a service driven economy hasn't really helped. I mean it's good that people are working, but I'm sure they aren't making what they used to. The area seemed to have an abundance of ugly development and chain stores/restaurants everywhere. The downtown area looked like it could have promise, but seemed pretty dead to me.

I've heard other people refer to Danville as "Dirtville" and the armpit of Virginia. Though I don't think it's that bad, I could see why some people would feel that way.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:48 AM

2 posts, read 5,632 times
I used to live a half-hour away from Danville, and years ago would sometimes visit there, but nowadays it seems like it's in direct competition with Richmond for "most dangerous city in VA" so eventually I stopped going.

It's a pit, and I don't know anyone who lives there who isn't desperate to get out.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:05 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,816,166 times
I grew up there and loved it! I know it has changed a lot since Dan River moved out, but I still find it beautiful. Wide open spaces, the river, and much more shopping than there used to be. It's close to Smith Mountain Lake and it's untouched, for the most part, by the hoardes of people moving in from the north into Virginia and North Carolina. The history of the city is fascinating as well (Last stand of the Confederacy,etc). And it's clean. After living in Pittsburgh the past 20 years, I love going home and breathing in fresh air!

Now would I live there? Probably not. My friends from there who are still in the city want out too. But if Danville could get another major employer(s) in there, that would help a lot. I hope that happens soon.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:20 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,890,319 times
If the American economy ever turns around I think Danville/M'ville/Rockingham NC area is poised for a major industry, such as a car manufacturer. The area has high unemployment, access to major markets, good workforce, international airports nearby plus a new Fed Ex hub at Greensboro. I don't think it will be depressed forever.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:32 AM

156 posts, read 369,986 times
Danville is nice as long as you do not live in the city .I moved to Axton VA 5 years ago from NJ and love it here ,well this winter I don't love it . The taxes are good and I have 3 acres and a 2500 sq, ft. house and my taxes are now a little over 800 since I had the house built it has gone up some but it is no where near the 9000 I was paying in Edison NJ. 5 years ago.I would have never been able to retire up there .My son works for Startek in Martinsville VA and he has started looking for a house near work . I find the peace and Quiet is nice here and I bought a view lot for 15 thousand to put my house on and do not regreat it .I love my home state of NJ and go back to see friends and family .But you do have to live . I understand that danville was named as one of the towns up and coming and a nice place to live .My sister-in-law and her hubby live in Blairs just outside of Danville and they both work at the post office and love it there too .There are many great areas here you just need to find an area you really like ,a map should help and Dan River Association Of Realtors can be a help .Thats an MLS service for here . There are plenty of realtors here to guide you .

Old 02-17-2010, 01:55 PM

1,785 posts, read 2,382,960 times
@ GoNutz

What are your impressions of Danville? There are a lot of people who like the small town life that Danville provides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia