U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 07:23 PM

18 posts, read 79,970 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the advice. I am setting a trip for next weekend and looking forward to it. I didn't see much on the East West website as far as listings go but did find some on the MLS. If you had to choose between Brickshire and Patriots Landing-is one better than the other? They look pretty comparable. I noticed Brickshire is right behind the racetrack. Ironically, we used to work with horses on the racetack...hmm, interesting.

Anyway..I have picked out home in Chesterfield in the following subdivisions-Hampton Park, The Highlands, Woodlakd and The Grove. Any other suggestions? I have seen a few in Riverton and The Santuary at Watermill but I don't know where they are. Everything looks relatively close as far as a drive goes so I am not too worried about that for my husband.

One more question...what are the top daycares in the area? My daughter currently goes to the Goddard School here. Do they have those in the area? Any suggestions?

All the input is much appreciated. This is such a big decision for us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 08:43 PM

1,802 posts, read 5,643,597 times
They do have Goddard School's in Richmond:
Goddard School's in Virginia (See Richmond, Midlothian, and Chesterfield locations)

Other options could be Montessori School or the Primrose School, especially if you settle in Riverton or The Grove.

Good luck!

Old 06-05-2007, 09:19 PM

18 posts, read 79,970 times
What is the difference with Riverton or The Grove? Are they in good locations? What is the difference between those locations and Hampton Park or The Highlands?

Old 06-05-2007, 09:26 PM

2,124 posts, read 7,934,859 times
Default Some insights...

Brick shire versus Patriots landing... don't know about Brickshire, all I know of Patriots is that it is an East West Development and they do a great job.

Hampton Park - I lived in HP so I am partial. You choose this lifestyle. It isn't for everyone, but those that live there love it. I am going up to visit friends this weekend. Some friends are having a huge, friendly poker game (about 60 men and women will be there... they set up tents over the driveway and garage). And I am planning to go to the pool and will see so many good friends. It is a very active, family friendly neighborhood. If you have children, they will never want to leave. My 9 year old son still blames us for moving him away.

The Highlands - nice neigborhood. A little older. A little further out to get to. Home lots are larger though, if that is important.

Woodlake - another East West Development. Basically across the street from HP. A different concept in that there are cul-de-sac type neighborhoods. Nice walking trails. a little older neighborhood. Great Lake. Very family friendly. check out the amphitheater near the lake and a nice pool.

The Grove - very sought after neighorhood, but it doesn't have it's own pool. However, the YMCA is awesome right there, and most of the Grove folks join and it is almost like a neighborhood pool. You will use Midlothian Tnpke versus Hull St. Some folks think it is easier to navigate Midlo.... I don't know why. I find both very congested : )

Riverton - has a nice golf course. Was not started as an East West, but when the developer was going bankrupt, EW took it over and completed it. Again older neighorhood. A little further out, and watch out for the paper mill on the river. If the wind is blowing the right way (or the wrong way) you will may smell it.

The Santuary at Watermill - I'm not in love with Watermill. It is a newer neighborhood and I think for the money, I would stay with HP. It is between Midlothian and Hull Street, close to 288.

One more question...what are the top daycares in the area? My daughter currently goes to the Goddard School here. Do they have those in the area? Any suggestions?

There are many daycares in the area. My son went to the Goddard at Woodlake. If you end up in the Hull Street corridor (woodlake and HP) that is very convenient. Also Woodlake preschool is very sought after, as well as Brandermill Pre-school. St. Lukes is well liked as well. If you end up in HP, there are a lot of neighbors who will carpool.

If you end up in the Midlo corridor, there is a Goddard near the Grove at Midlo. right up from the YMCA.

I am jealous!! I miss living in Chesterfield County.

If you have any other questions, feel free to email me. I'm happy to help.

Shelly

Old 06-05-2007, 09:29 PM

13 posts, read 63,698 times
We are moving to Moseley (Midlothian) in 3 weeks. We ended up buying in Fox Fire. Our house actually backs up to the Swift Creek Reservoir. I believe most houses are more in the $500 K range, but you should check out Foxcroft too. The houses are a little older maybe 10 years old, but it seemed like a nice community. Foxfield is another. It is almost built out in phase 1 and there are some houses in the price range you mentioned. We decided against Foxfield, however because with it only being in the 1st phase and the 2nd one not breaking ground for a while, we wanted a more established neighborhood for our kids aged, 9, 7 and 3. There is another huge community being built right across the street from Foxfield called Fox - something. There are so many "Fox" neighborhoods I can't remember it right now. As for the Grove, we couldn't put our finger on it, but we just thought it was kind of "wierd". It also had power lines running through part of the neighborhood. Many houses were very nice and if I remember correctly there is this man made lake in the middle of the neighborhood, but some parts definitely seemed more high end than other sections of the neighborhood. Our realtor recommended us sticking down toward the section we looked at. We bought in zipcode 23120. My kids will go to Woolridge Elem and Swift Creek Middle and the brand new Cosby High. More than one realtor let us know what a big deal it was to buy into a Cosby High neighborhood. There was much debate about boundary lines when it was being built. We did like Hampton Park and I have heard amazing things on here and from my college roommate about the neighborhood feel there. I even witnessed it at elementary school bus drop off. We just had our heart set on a brick front house and there was just a little too much siding in there for our liking. But I have to say I loved everything else about Hampton Park.

I know I have just rambled on, but I hope I have been some help. Good luck with your decision.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:47 AM

11 posts, read 44,331 times
Riverton is actually a very nice neighborhood in northern Chesterfield County. I think the other poster has it confused with River's Bend in Chester. Riverton is adjacent to James River High and Betty Weaver Elementary, which both are at the top of testing scores. There are a couple of new communities near Riverton - River Downs and Tarrington.
In the area of The Grove, there is also an enormous community called Charter Colony which is still being built. The Grove is very near where a new-urbanism community is just getting started called Roseland. I would expect some changes in school districts as this area grows.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:49 AM

11 posts, read 44,331 times
BTW, there is a Goddard School very close to the Riverton/Tarrington/River Downs neighborhoods. I live right along the same road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia