U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 02-21-2010, 01:40 PM
 
Location: McLean, VA
4,619 posts, read 3,494,000 times
Reputation: 2072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Nothing seedy about rest stops..... No siree.... You ever stopped at one at 2 in the morning?

No one has any businesss being on the road at 2am.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-22-2010, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Virginia
6,530 posts, read 8,675,883 times
Reputation: 3036
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
No one has any businesss being on the road at 2am.
Truckers?

And yes, some travellers drive through the night as well. As for having "no business" on the road? That's your opinion. Some prefer to travel at night.

Regardless, we have truckstops for truckers and plenty of gas stations, fast food restaurants, etc... for weary travellers to chill...

Don't get me wrong, I like the occasional rest stop as well, but only because it's a more convenient bathroom instead of getting completely off the highway....

Either way, given the budget in the state, I hardly think they're a priority while we're slashing education funding...

JMO
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2010, 08:34 AM
 
Location: McLean, VA
4,619 posts, read 3,494,000 times
Reputation: 2072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Truckers?

And yes, some travellers drive through the night as well. As for having "no business" on the road? That's your opinion. Some prefer to travel at night.

Regardless, we have truckstops for truckers and plenty of gas stations, fast food restaurants, etc... for weary travellers to chill...

Don't get me wrong, I like the occasional rest stop as well, but only because it's a more convenient bathroom instead of getting completely off the highway....

Either way, given the budget in the state, I hardly think they're a priority while we're slashing education funding...

JMO
I am for PRIVATIZING the rest stops that have been closed along the interstate. Let it be part of he "adopt a highway" program or allow companies to sponsor/advertise at the locations to keep them open.

Also, just because some people "prefer" to travel at night does not make it the responsibility of the state to cater to your time schedule. I would "prefer" to go to the DMV or some other govt building at night or when MY schedule permits. That does not mean the taxpayers are going to incur the expense to keep the offices open for me.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2010, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Virginia
6,530 posts, read 8,675,883 times
Reputation: 3036
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
I am for PRIVATIZING the rest stops that have been closed along the interstate. Let it be part of he "adopt a highway" program or allow companies to sponsor/advertise at the locations to keep them open.
OOO, OOO!!! I agree completely with this... I actually believe that private businesses should be allowed to set up shop at rest stops...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm
Also, just because some people "prefer" to travel at night does not make it the responsibility of the state to cater to your time schedule. I would "prefer" to go to the DMV or some other govt building at night or when MY schedule permits. That does not mean the taxpayers are going to incur the expense to keep the offices open for me.
FYI, when a rest stop is "open", it doesn't close at night... So effectively you are applauding the funding for something you appear to be at least half against...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2010, 01:26 PM
 
Location: McLean, VA
4,619 posts, read 3,494,000 times
Reputation: 2072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
OOO, OOO!!! I agree completely with this... I actually believe that private businesses should be allowed to set up shop at rest stops...



FYI, when a rest stop is "open", it doesn't close at night... So effectively you are applauding the funding for something you appear to be at least half against...
The rest areas may be technically open at night, but I don't think there is a paid attendant on duty.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2010, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Virginia
6,530 posts, read 8,675,883 times
Reputation: 3036
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The rest areas may be technically open at night, but I don't think there is a paid attendant on duty.
But that's only a small part of the cost of having them open. If they get by in the evening without an attendant, they can certainly get by during the day without one.

Yeah, they'll need someone to clean the place, but other than that?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2010, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,141 posts, read 14,771,896 times
Reputation: 6434
They won't even privatize the liquor stores. Strange blend of free market capitalism and state socialism here in the Commonwealth.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2010, 09:20 AM
 
Location: McLean, VA
4,619 posts, read 3,494,000 times
Reputation: 2072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
But that's only a small part of the cost of having them open. If they get by in the evening without an attendant, they can certainly get by during the day without one.

Yeah, they'll need someone to clean the place, but other than that?
There needs to be someone there to prevent loitering or keeping an eye on suspicious people otherwise the state police needs to make a regular sweep through the facility.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2010, 10:19 AM
Status: "Is it fall yet?" (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: Where my bills arrive
3,293 posts, read 3,185,471 times
Reputation: 1862
With the current proposal made by our Governor it would appear that he desires local goverments to take over a larger share of their operating expenses. Not a bad idea but you can't throw the whole pot at them at once. If goverment agency's were more honest perhaps people would be more accepting but their not.

Years ago there was a Bond Proposal in Va Beach with the money going to schools, Libraries etc.. It would be paid off in 20 years and initally had @75% support. One day some one asked a city official if the additional tax will be repealed once the bond is paid off? His answer was no the money will go into the general fund better known as the black hole. The next day support dropped to 30% . This is an example of why people don't trust their goverment when it come to raising taxes because once in place it never goes away. If the state said were going to raise sales tax until whatever benchmark is reached then we will lower it again I could accept that. But then they start spending more money (look at Warner) and they can't turn back.

Some of the ideas listed here are good, lease vending rights to cover the cost of rest stops. Let the state get out of the liquer buisness and just monitor the private enterprises that sell it. Establish a state standard of education and fund accordingly if a community wishes to up the bar they can pay for it. Even education needs to stop funding charter, specialty, alternative programs so much. How many varieties does a community need to provide?

Just my rantings for the day....
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2010, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Richmond, VA
1,698 posts, read 3,685,662 times
Reputation: 526
The State Budget | Richmond Times-Dispatch (http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/state_regional/state_regional_govtpolitics/budget/ - broken link)

Why not make plenty of cuts, and increase some taxes on the premise that no new spending is permitted? Privatizing ABC stores and rest stops while maintaining state regulation could help too?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top