U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 01:17 PM

1,295 posts, read 4,242,370 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering what was the general opinion of the residents in Virginia on the recent cuts announces. It seems people here rarely talk about these things on the VA forum so what are your reactions?

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) Big cuts to the state budget that will hit several departments from education to requiring state workers to take unpaid days off.

Gov. Bob McDonnell released his plan this morning at the State Capitol. He called the cuts to trim $2.1 billion from the state budget "among the toughest decisions I have had to make over my entire career in public service."

Virtually no one in state government will be spared from these budget cuts, which Gov. McDonnell said are five times more than any previous amendments made to a prior governor's budget plan.

The cuts will impact, schools, state employees, health care workers and correctional officers.

McDonnell has already met with legislative leaders in both the House and Senate and believes he has a good chance at getting some the changes passed.

Here is a look at some key areas:

-Total cuts: $2.2 billion
-Education cuts: $700 million
-State employees: 5 furlough days, Christmas bonus in 2011

Now mixed with all this gloom and doom, there was some good news. McDonnell's Secretary of Finance, Ric Brown believes that the revenue picture at the state will improve over the next two years. However that improvement will be marginal compared to the budget hole the state is facing.

McDonnell formally proposed unfreezing the (Local Composite Index) funding formula. That could mean an $11 million loss for Richmond schools. On the LCI, McDonnell said there are always winners and losers, but "it is still the right thing to do." Read more on the LCI below.

From the Virginia Department of Education website:

The Local Composite Index determines a school division's ability to pay education costs fundamental to the commonwealth's Standards of Quality (SOQ). The Composite Index is calculated using three indicators of a locality's ability-to-pay:

* True value of real property (weighted 50 percent)
* Adjusted gross income (weighted 40 percent)
* Taxable retail sales (weighted 10 percent)

Each locality's index is adjusted to maintain an overall statewide local share of 45 percent and an overall state share of 55 percent.

Copyright 2010 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 03:43 PM

23,652 posts, read 33,462,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders15 View Post
I was just wondering what was the general opinion of the residents in Virginia on the recent cuts announces. It seems people here rarely talk about these things on the VA forum so what are your reactions?

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) Big cuts to the state budget that will hit several departments from education to requiring state workers to take unpaid days off.

Gov. Bob McDonnell released his plan this morning at the State Capitol. He called the cuts to trim $2.1 billion from the state budget "among the toughest decisions I have had to make over my entire career in public service."

Virtually no one in state government will be spared from these budget cuts, which Gov. McDonnell said are five times more than any previous amendments made to a prior governor's budget plan.

The cuts will impact, schools, state employees, health care workers and correctional officers.

McDonnell has already met with legislative leaders in both the House and Senate and believes he has a good chance at getting some the changes passed.

Here is a look at some key areas:

-Total cuts: $2.2 billion
-Education cuts: $700 million
-State employees: 5 furlough days, Christmas bonus in 2011

Now mixed with all this gloom and doom, there was some good news. McDonnell's Secretary of Finance, Ric Brown believes that the revenue picture at the state will improve over the next two years. However that improvement will be marginal compared to the budget hole the state is facing.

McDonnell formally proposed unfreezing the (Local Composite Index) funding formula. That could mean an $11 million loss for Richmond schools. On the LCI, McDonnell said there are always winners and losers, but "it is still the right thing to do." Read more on the LCI below.

From the Virginia Department of Education website:

The Local Composite Index determines a school division's ability to pay education costs fundamental to the commonwealth's Standards of Quality (SOQ). The Composite Index is calculated using three indicators of a locality's ability-to-pay:

* True value of real property (weighted 50 percent)
* Adjusted gross income (weighted 40 percent)
* Taxable retail sales (weighted 10 percent)

Each locality's index is adjusted to maintain an overall statewide local share of 45 percent and an overall state share of 55 percent.

Copyright 2010 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.
I think this was a hard but needed step. Yes there is going to be serious pain but the state has a responsibility to balance the budget.

One thing I don't think is fair is that the NoVA schools get cut some slack on the education cuts while the Hampton Roads schools get the shaft. NoVA is more economically blessed than HR. Let them suffer for once.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:52 AM

2,031 posts, read 6,143,928 times
Default Family Values Governor

When you try to balance the budget on the backs of the least fortunate citizens and especially the kids I think the governor will have a fight on his hands. Has anyone noticed when the budget ax comes down its always on those who can't fight back? I know McDonnell is doing this to get in the running for the 2012 GOP nomination for President but I think it will backfire. Even the republican parents of public school kids are very upset on the education cuts. I think they are way too deep. Just to prevent a tax hike he will go the extreme of cutting education so severe.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:22 AM

6,561 posts, read 12,895,155 times
Funny that when cuts need to happen they always look to education to cut the widest and deepest amount from...

My wife brought up a good point this morning saying, "They should really start their cuts from the top and work their way down instead of starting at the bottom...."

Well HEAR HEAR!!! to that. Of course we will NEVER find anyone in their administrative palaces willing to make those kind of moves. What? Admit that we don't need 3 secreteries? Admitting that we don't need "Deputy" this and "Deputy" that? Admitting that the higher-ups simply hire more help to do the parts of their job they don't WANT to do (even though they DO have time to do it)??

Seen plenty of the waste first-hand. It's there. Even in education. Unfortunately they continue to surgically remove the muscle from the system and leave the fat... Pisses me off to no end.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:25 AM

9,738 posts, read 8,068,332 times
It's about time we got a Governor who has a spine. I wish he would go further and force ALL state workers to take a 15% pay cut and CEASE contributing to any state pensions.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Funny that when cuts need to happen they always look to education to cut the widest and deepest amount from...

My wife brought up a good point this morning saying, "They should really start their cuts from the top and work their way down instead of starting at the bottom...."

Well HEAR HEAR!!! to that. Of course we will NEVER find anyone in their administrative palaces willing to make those kind of moves. What? Admit that we don't need 3 secreteries? Admitting that we don't need "Deputy" this and "Deputy" that? Admitting that the higher-ups simply hire more help to do the parts of their job they don't WANT to do (even though they DO have time to do it)??

Seen plenty of the waste first-hand. It's there. Even in education. Unfortunately they continue to surgically remove the muscle from the system and leave the fat... Pisses me off to no end.

The City of Richmond is the biggest waste/fraud racket in the state. I worked for the Dept of Traffic Engineering as a "summer hire". We were responsible for replacing signs and repainting the stripes at intersections. The head of the dept was taking payments from private companies and sending city crews to paint the parking spaces of private lots. When I was assigned to work on replacing missing or damaged street signs, the regular employees would only replace about 3 or 4 signs a day. I would do 15 to 20. They would look at me and roll their eyes. City employees are lazy leeches of taxpayer money.

I also say employees using city gasoline debit cards to fill 5 gallon gas cans which they loaded into the trunks of their cars.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:02 AM

1,802 posts, read 5,659,042 times
When were you a summer hire?

Did you report the misuse of the debit cards?

Old 02-18-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
When were you a summer hire?

Did you report the misuse of the debit cards?
Who was I going to report this to? The head of the dept was the the guy getting paid to paint private parking lots on city time.

I was a summer hire back in the early 1980's. I was just a naive college kid who needed a summer job. Getting paid $10.40/hr when other jobs paid $3.85/hr was good money to work outside doing easy work.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:12 AM

6,561 posts, read 12,895,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
It's about time we got a Governor who has a spine. I wish he would go further and force ALL state workers to take a 15% pay cut and CEASE contributing to any state pensions.
Let's start with eliminating the COLA for state workers and go from there. Perhaps changing raises to every other year as far as step increases and such.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:30 AM

134 posts, read 279,122 times
Yup, cut education but, by all means re-open the rest areas so people don't have to get off at some other place (hah: there is a lit. and fig. element to that)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or