U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 01:19 PM

7 posts, read 20,213 times

Advertisements

Badger74...no worries Your sarcasm made my laugh & painted a picture of a town. I can see the toothless 300lb woman in my head. I can survive without Starbucks but, without good Mexican food? That's a whole other thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 06:18 PM

75 posts, read 167,740 times
If the town is super small try calling the real estate companies. They may not manage rentals but may keep a list of rentals known. People in small towns tend to let real estate and schools know to help find renters. Call the local news paper to see if their classified are online.
I know VA metro DC area is expensive and will take more than just above average to live ok.
People in that area commute for miles to work between VA and Maryland it's crazy.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,771 times
I have to say, you really are in for a big shock when you move here. But, it is a great place the people are friendly and kind to all. There are some "redneck" people here, but there is a great share of upscale people here. If you are looking for a subdivision to live in, I would highly suggest living in Ridgefield Acres, it is a very upscale neighborhood, and you won't find a single trailer there. There are many houses for sale in Ridgefield. If you Google "Ridgefield Acres Wise,VA" you will find some houses, and there are some for rent.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:14 PM

3 posts, read 6,057 times
I am originally from Michigan and moved to Wise and lived there 4 years. I did experience culture shock moving from a big city to a small town but wouldn't trade it for anything now.
I now live in Lebanon, about 50 miles and one hour away from Wise and an even smaller town. Because of the University of Virginia at Wise college, it is very hard to find rental housing in Wise.
It is very offensive to me to read Badger's comments. Yes, Wise is in a poorer county in the poor end of Virginia, but there are extremely kind and caring people here.
I would personally NOT live in Bristol, Abingdon, Kingsport or that area and commute 1-2 hours each way to Wise. The winding roads, especially in the winter will be treacherous and you can look forward to missing a lot of work if it snows. They have "black ice" on the roads, which is nearly invisible ice.(By the way, there is a beautiful scenic drive between Wise and Big Stone Gap which is a must see.)
I recommend you find somewhere to live in the Wise area and plan to take shopping trips, etc. on the weekends. A big plus: there is far less crime in Southwest Virginia than in the Bristol/Kingsport TN area.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:16 PM

3 posts, read 6,057 times
P.S. There is an excellent Mexican restaurant in Lebanon...."El Campesino". It's the best around!

Old 03-26-2010, 02:49 PM

4 posts, read 9,623 times
Default Love AZ, you'll miss it!

Lived in a lot of places in Va. over the years. Wise is small, so you will have a chance to do organic gardening and raise pets/kids. Don't look for anything else, it doesn't exist. I'd plan on Home-schooling. Best bet, save while here and do lots of driving on the Blue Ridge Parkway and hit the beaches when you can. The greenery may blow your mind. Laray caverns and the Shanandoah areas are spectacular...but not like Sedona or Bisbee...especially not like Phoenix! Hope you like cows! Closer to Aqua Fria, but lots of WATER! (just be sure to get it tested!!) Remember the Andy Griffith show?

Old 10-02-2010, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,163 times
Hello, It's a beautiful day in the mountians! Let's not pass a judgement on all of us mountian folk.Not all of us smoke,wear sweat clothes, or have lost our teeth. As for my family,We are loving,friendly,& educated.We operate a successful local business that's celebrating 20 yrs and going strong.We work in church & community. We welcome you home to our town. Best wishes to all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia