U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 09:24 AM

8 posts, read 27,941 times

Advertisements

Our family is looking to get out of northern va. There is a little of everything here which we love, but we would like to get away from this crazy traffic and high home prices! We have come up with these two places because there is work there for my husband and look like places we could live and make roots. My husband and I have 1 child(3yrs) and plans for our family to grow. With that a low crime and good schools (maybe even a good home schooling community) are important to us plus lots of different things for them to do. We do prefer the suburb feel. My husband and I grew up at a beach resort so do understand beach summers. As long as a beach or lake is around I will be happy. That is a quick run down so here are the questions.

First up work, since that is kinda important. Which area would u find more mercedes-benz on the road? Would anyone know how reputable the shops are?

I want to be able to take our kids to different types of places and do many diffrent things. Beach/lake, museums, visit farms, farmers markets, fairs, parks, mall ect. Is either one better for that?

Ohh yes one more thing ...hockey! Is there any local rinks to play roller hockey? What about ice? I am interested in both adult and childrens leagues.

Anything else that we should consider before our decision feel free to add. I would rather think about it now then to regret it later! Many of my questions have been answered by other posts and research. So thank u guys for that and thank u in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 12:16 PM

21 posts, read 61,006 times
I lived in NOVA (N Springfield, FFX, Warrenton) for 34 years, and have lived in cville since 2002. We moved when our child was 1 YO...we now have 2 children.

Charlottesville is a great place to live, low crime, great schools, and a lot to do for a "small" town. We reg go to concerts, outdoor shows, hiking...VERY kid friendly with lots to do - and Richmond is an hour away for BIGGER things to do.

My son has played hockey since he was 3 YO..he's now 8 and plays on the travel team..I will note as of Friday, the icepark went up for sale, but it has before, hope to have resolved soon....great place to learn hockey..either house or travel...its not as "serious" as the NOVA teams, but that can be good too :^) Our 5 YO plays house league.

its a slower higher quality pace of life. Many community things to get into...or just head for the mtns or lakes etc.

I would stay in Albemarle county for schools...all are good but south of down is weaker IMO....look in Forest lakes if you want the standard .25 lots homes......city schools are good for city schools...county is way better.

We are in Fluvanna schoosl which are 'average" and are kids are doing well there, but many parents struggle with the schools.

You can also live 15 minutes out on property....search here: Ivy and keswick are real nice country areas, but expensive

MyCAAR.com

Know alittle about VA Beach, went to college there for a year, and go down for hockey....Hampton Roads has a decent program....MUCH larger area, and can vary a lot....

Also there is a youth Madison county roller hockey league...own rink and everything...friends of ours from ice hockey are apart of that....

Good luck

Old 03-06-2010, 11:24 AM

Thank u for responding I found your info very helpful!

Old 03-06-2010, 02:39 PM

42 posts, read 103,343 times
I've lived in both areas and would definitely recommend C'ville. Hampton Roads has major traffic issues, from the backups at the tunnel(s) and a ton of congestion in Va Beach. We used to live in Va Beach, 17 miles from the Norfolk Naval Base, and it would take almost an hour to get to and from work. I went back there recently for business and traffic seemed even worse than before. I also think you will find C'ville to just be more authentic - the people, the shops, everything.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:43 PM

42 posts, read 103,343 times
And I'll add a plug for the C'ville City Market - fabulous produce and a vibrant social scene. The best farmer's market I've seen in Virginia!

Old 03-06-2010, 03:21 PM

5 posts, read 14,316 times
I used to live in VA Beach and visit often. If you want to get away from traffic forget about it. Traffic there is just terrible and worse in the summer.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:21 PM

129 posts, read 307,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kara927 View Post
First up work, since that is kinda important. Which area would u find more mercedes-benz on the road? Would anyone know how reputable the shops are?
is your husband a Mercades tech? these are not accurate numbers by any stretch of imagination, but im almost positive there are way more luxury brand cars in northern VA than Hampton Roads and Charlottesville combined... but between the two, VA Beach def has more Mercades Benzs.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:58 AM

You all have been very helpful thank you! My husband has a final interview in c-ville set up! We'll see what happens. If the job looks good we will spend time there to check out the area too. Any must eat places, that r child friendly?
Sbullet-yes he is.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:00 AM

You all have been very helpful thank you! My husband has a final interview in c-ville set up! We'll see what happens. If the job looks good we will spend time there to check out the area too. Any must eat places, that are child friendly?
Sbullet-yes he is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or