U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 08:59 PM

17 posts, read 24,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoungoodman View Post
Danville's unemployment is horendous. Since the mill shut down there is nothing here. The hopelessness of the community at large is reflected in the crime rate. Neighborhoods that were safe are riddled with crime. Prostitutes and crack dealers are all over the "southside" area consisting of Schoolfield, Cedarbrook and Almegro, which has always been crime ridden. The northside is not much better. North Main Hill is an illegal immigrant hangout, the communities steming from North Main are just as bad. The mill meant more than just jobs here, there was a spirit. The hospital has a poor reputation, which is probably the main employment here, I am not sure about that. the schools are just so-so. If you child has a learning disability, go somewhere else, there just aren't emough good teachers left here. i have lived here 40+ years off and on.

i couldnt agree more. i dont mean wrong in saying this, but Dan River Inc. was perhaps one of the worst things that happened to this region. I have friends and relatives that are jobless now because of the shut down...but Dan River Fabrics controlled Danville while they were here. Heck, they give em some place to live (back in the day) paid their wages, etc.. now that D.R. is gone, its left the whole city with this "ancient" mentality. Danville is alway 5 to 10 years late getting anything new compared to other cities within the region. Danville is finally getting a Sams Club, after Greensboro, N.C. has had one for atleast 15 years...same goes for Lynchburg, Roanoke,etc. I would love to see positive changes for Danville no doubt, but as long as you have those Dan River cotton mill mentality, computer/ technology illiterate no brainers, where the city government lies mainly in the "historic" smoke stack/ warehouse part of town??? its not looking good here. Danville spends too much time trying to find ways in how to preserve its past, when in all, the past was just as grim as its forseeable future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,169 times
Default Can it really be that bad?

I'm in the process of buying a home in North Danville as an investment property. I have read all of the comments regarding the crime and loss of jobs etc. However I still beleive that Danville has a huge amount potential and if we all just give up on it then it will never improve. I currently live in a small town in North Carolina about an hour from Danville Yet I grew up in the northeast in a very densely populated area of NJ with high crime and a struggling school district. Through it all ,my siblings and I turned out to be good citizens that all cared about the community we lived in and and got involved to make things better. I am currently a Town Council member where I live and I am also the President of my local Community watch organization. It is because of this involement and that of many others that we have changed things around for the better. I think that if the Danville police and the local elected officials work together as a team to encourage active block associations and community watch organizations that have a common goal of improving the areas in which they live then everyone will be better off. Everything that I know about Danville I learned from research on the net ,talking to a few people and visiting while on shopping trips. I happen to be purchasing a home on North Main street in the Historic District and if the leaders of Danville will truly recognize the awesome character and value of these homes that were built in the late 1800's and early 1900's they would make certain that this area gets the attention it deserves. Many towns and cities across the country have very strong pride in it's historic homes and Danville should do the same. Please lets try to recognize the good that can be found in these neighborhoods. Pray for the residents and get involved to make a positive diffrence. Instead of tearing communties down lets encourage folks to lift up the good.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:31 PM

617 posts, read 770,507 times
Everyone wants the retail side of a city these days, is that all there is to life now, just to go out and shop? Its good to have choices, yes, but I think much of the new growth is not planned out at all. Go into the mall, and find half the stores vacant. And still build new stores nearby? Huh?

If your idea of an ideal city is one chocked full of stores, shops and businesses, good, but its not my idea of a city that cares about its citizens.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,920 times
Listen to these messages, they are the the truth. There is nothing to be gained in this economic prison. If on the other hand you are a drug dealer or someone who loves to smoke crack, then this is the place to be. I lived in and around that city most of my life before I realized that it was and still is "The City of Sin". Any city this small that has more churches than any other place in Virgina, and at one time the most per sq mile in the world (was in the Guinness book of Records for this), is not what it would seem. Let me put it this way, my 9 yr old boy and 7 yr old girl where molested while in their mothers coustdy (who is now one of the city's best drug dealers) by a "friend" and knew that it happened several times, and the police department, social services, and other agencys have done nothing!! Even with her admitting it!!! She even had my kids put on dope by a doctor (who is involved in selling prescriptions) so she could sell it!!!! I now have both my children, but it cost me almost everything me and my wife had. Instead of geting help, my children's safty, and health where a way for the city's system to make money off their misfortune!! Me and my family have moved into carolina now, but not far enough. We are currently looking to move to the mid west or Alaska in order to get away from this cesspit. YES IT IS REALLY THAT BAD!! Danville has 17 drug stores listed!!! Why would a town this small need this many drug stores and churches????

Old 12-25-2008, 08:56 PM

9 posts, read 55,458 times
I advise anyone who is thinking about relocating here to danville to relocate to greensboro or raleigh. There arent any jobs here. Theres nothing for the children or the teenagers to do here. Why arent there any arcades here or a chucky cheese. All i see is nothing but teens getting pregnant and dropping out of gw! What kind of life is this? The homes all look a mess! Im not trying to spend the next 10 years here. Everyone who lives here gets foodstamps, welfare, or a crazy check. The jobs only pay 7 dollars an hour? How is anyone suppose to survive. The only hangout spot is Buffalos Wild Wings and half the time fights break out. This is not the life! I dont like this city and cant wait to leave this rathole!

Old 01-05-2010, 01:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,755 times
My family has lived in Danville for years and the most distinct thing about it is the air of oppression and depression. You can feel it as soon as you enter the town. Sad but true. Danville needs an infusion of young, energetic entrepreneurs who will take pride in the city and turn things around. As it is, the whole town is very, very sad. It's like a black cloud hovers over the city all the time.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlowen View Post
I have read all of the comments regarding the crime and loss of jobs etc. However I still beleive that Danville has a huge amount potential and if we all just give up on it then it will never improve. I currently live in a small town in North Carolina about an hour from Danville Yet I grew up in the northeast in a very densely populated area of NJ with high crime and a struggling school district. Through it all ,my siblings and I turned out to be good citizens that all cared about the community we lived in and and got involved to make things better. I am currently a Town Council member where I live and I am also the President of my local Community watch organization. It is because of this involement and that of many others that we have changed things around for the better. I think that if the Danville police and the local elected officials work together as a team to encourage active block associations and community watch organizations that have a common goal of improving the areas in which they live then everyone will be better off. Everything that I know about Danville I learned from research on the net ,talking to a few people and visiting while on shopping trips. I happen to be purchasing a home on North Main street in the Historic District and if the leaders of Danville will truly recognize the awesome character and value of these homes that were built in the late 1800's and early 1900's they would make certain that this area gets the attention it deserves. Many towns and cities across the country have very strong pride in it's historic homes and Danville should do the same. Please lets try to recognize the good that can be found in these neighborhoods. Pray for the residents and get involved to make a positive diffrence. Instead of tearing communties down lets encourage folks to lift up the good.
Every town has potential, because every town is inhabited by people. What you have to understand is the Danville mentality. People here are very, very sad. It isn't a matter of having a "stiff-upper-lip" or having the community rally around a great Town Council. This community has had its livliehood and identity ripped from them and shipped overseas. It's like watching the town die of a broken heart. Maybe if enough people with your optimism took over the town, things might begin to change. But with non-existent culture, ex-tobacco farmers, ex-Dan River employees, drug dealers, terrible schools, twenty-somethings moving away, high crime rates, a hospital with the highest infant death rate in America, and very little money....it's going to take a lot more than one plucky person who likes the look of Millionaire Alley (North Main). It's like Danville has lost its will to survive. It isn't that all of us on this forum have given up on Danville...it has given up on itself. My mother, a current resident, tells me that ten years from now, Danville will be a wonderful place to live and raise a family. I pray that she is right.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,236 times
I have lived in several different countries around the world as well as many different states/cities in this country, including Chicago and St. Paul. Danville is by far, the friendliest and least expensive city I have ever lived. There are a couple areas that are deemed not safe, but I have driven in them many times for my job and have never had a problem. Believe me, Chicago is a 100 times worse. I think the people who have written negative responses happen to be negative people because many people are moving here because of the great environment and low cost of living. A year or so ago we were ranked as one of the top cities to move. Job opportunities are increasing everyday. If you don't want to move here because you believe the negativity, oh well, your loss!

Old 03-12-2010, 07:07 AM

2 posts, read 3,111 times
Well, though my request for information about Danville was in a different thread , the positive folks' comments have definitely won out over the negative folks' comments. People that have posted negative comments have every right to their opinion, however the possibility of their opinion being colored by their own negative experiences does not diminish the positives about Danville's potential. Sincerely, I hope that the folks that have negative feelings about Danville either look again at the place without prejudice, or just walk away. I believe in making an investment in Danville's future. See y'all there...

Old 03-15-2010, 11:46 AM

156 posts, read 207,177 times
I live in Axton with a mountain view and it is 20 minutes from both Martinsville and Danville .My husband and i retired from Nj .Mom and dad lived on rainbow circle outside of danville and my sister lives in Blairs and they both work for the post office .Dan river association of realtors seems to have alot of info . I used Baldwin realtors to find my property .Paid 5 thousand an acre and bought 3 acres . There are areas called chatmoss cascade out this way also but it is country living .Taxes are really nothing down here .For Martinsville stay on the outskirts of town ,my son is buying a house over there and his mortgage will be 187 a month with taxes .Spencer group realtors found his house and he also used Rives s Brown . Hope this helps and good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia