Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 10:53 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Hmmm, wonder if she got lost???

What happened??

How'd you like it??

No, I didn't get lost. I hadn't posted much since I returned but did post on a Galax thread.

I absolutely loved it and like I said on the other thread, "If I could leave Texas tomorrow, I would." It is definitely some place I'd love to live. I didn't get to spend as much time as I would have liked to do so hopefully, my next trip will be longer and I'll be able to check into real estate.

The people were very friendly, at least the ones with whom I came in contact. The weather was lovely, and I'm sure it still is on the 1st of July as it was in mid-June. It did get a bit foggy though in parts especially driving from Mt. Airy, NC to Galax. We couldn't see a thing.

I'm told the Blue Ridge Parkway has fog often and it isn't uncommon for it to have many car pile ups on it.

I would love to settle within a 50 mile radius of Galax going north, west, or east in a small community with very few people.

I didn't care for the town of Floyd, but I only drove through it. Galax was pretty cool though. One area I particularly liked was Check, VA. It is absolutely lovely and serene.

Another area which was told to me by one of the CD poster was Piper's Gap; I also loved it as it was very transquil as well.

All you southwest Virginia people are sooooooo fortunate to live in such a great area.

Hillsville to me was an overflow from Galax and too crowded. I'm really looking for some place not quite overflowing with people and hopefully, something that won't happen within the next 20 years.

I met some really nice people at the beautiful Galax Library. They told me Hillsville received no snow this past winter, but there have been times when they actually have had a blizzard and were stuck inside for days. That sounds good to me.

As was told to us by some folks in Galax that the western areas of the state, the people are really different. I could see that when I was in Damascus, Pearisburg, Wytheville, etc. One place I really didn't like was Pulaski County.

We stopped at the overlook that views Saltville. It looked quite lovely from above, but we didn't go into the town.

All in all, most of the area of VA would suit me nicely should I ever make the move. I can't wait to return for more "checking out" one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 07:41 AM

567 posts, read 2,141,434 times
There was much discussion on Craig County in previous threads.

Did you get up there and if so, what did you think?

Old 07-02-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin1264 View Post
There was much discussion on Craig County in previous threads.

Did you get up there and if so, what did you think?

No, I didn't make it to New Castle. Hopefully, I will next time, and there will be a next time, I'm confident of that.

To be honest, we were on our way and my friend started to "panic" driving up the mountain. I'm not fond of heights either and was too chicken to take the wheel. We probably should have continued up the mountain, but we didn't. Hopefully, I'll have courage to do it next time. Isn't that just awful? Maybe living up a mountain is not good for me.....duh, obviously. I'll stay down below and enjoy the views.

Thanks for asking.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:38 PM

567 posts, read 2,141,434 times
HAHA! I know where you were. It's something you'd get used to (I promise, I did!)

It might be worth a look next time.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin1264 View Post
HAHA! I know where you were. It's something you'd get used to (I promise, I did!)

It might be worth a look next time.

I'm so embarrassed, but I was such a chicken. I'm not great with the unfamiliar and living in flat Texas, I'm not used to mountains. I haven't been to the mountains since I left California in 1978.

I swear next time I will do it because I really want to see it. You are right; I just have to get used to it; it's just the fear of the unknown.....and heights.

I hope to go again next summer if not before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia