Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 12:59 PM

10 posts, read 33,582 times

Advertisements

Our interest is more in VA than Maryland. I have heard good comments about Salisbury and some northeast towns of maryland.

As far VA, reading so many threads, it seems that western va, and south va do not have enough jobs. The jobs are loacated NoVA. However, housing cost is way over 400k.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 01:55 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,888,220 times
such is the catch 22 that is NoVa.
the jobs are here but housing is not affordable for most.

if you are looking in general for a new place to live with milder weather... check out the Dallas ft worth area in TX. lots of jobs and cost of living is GREAT (250k will get you a very nice house!) and schools in north Dalls are very good. just fyi.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:16 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,189,943 times
There are over 1,100 open I.T. positions in SW Virginia right now. I'm just sayin. "There aren't enough jobs in SW Virginia" is a popular mantra for people with not terribly marketable skills who are forced to move elsewhere. I know people hiring all of the time here. To paraphrase a recent engineering firm head interviewed on public radio: it's easy to keep employees here in the Roanoke area thanks to the quality of life, it's harder to get them here to begin within because of the assumption that the Roanoke job market is too tight.

Sean

Old 01-27-2008, 03:22 AM

162 posts, read 543,607 times
Not to hijack the thread but this thread/question is exactly the info I'm looking for.

Here is what I'm interested in:

- Wife will be working in Frederick MD, I will be working in Chantilly, VA. Which are is best to live in?

- SFH between $500k and $575k (I know this range shouldn't be a problem, but are taxes in this range higher in NoVa or in MD?

- Which area's school systems between Chantilly, VA and Frederick, MD are best?

- Is the general cost of living better in VA or MD? I'm looking at gas prices, car registration, food, insurance, etc.

- We are military and will not be residents of either state so state income tax is not an issue.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide me.

Kevin

Old 01-27-2008, 01:33 PM

941 posts, read 3,911,404 times
MD recently got hit with high tax hikes, plus the state sales tax are now 6%. I think VA is cheaper.

Quite a commute for both of you...Between Frederick and Chantilly, I'd try to stay near the MD line in VA. It takes about 45 minutes to get to VA state line from Frederick.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:42 PM

162 posts, read 543,607 times
Yeah, I'm not crazy about the commute. But if there is one bright side to this, it is the fact that I can get more acreage for my money. I've been looking in the Leesburg area and it is promising to find a nice house there for $550k. I also hear that the schools are better in VA. Not an issue now but maybe in a few years.

Thanks for the info.

Kevin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia