U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 07:52 PM

8,803 posts, read 7,540,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Virginians are getting exactly what they deserve. They wanted to have the nation view us as socially regressive, and now ye shall reap what ye have sown. I hope all of these "anti-Obama" nut jobs here in VA are pleased with their decision to blindly throw their support behind ANY Republican in spite!

I fail to see what makes McDonnell's policies regressive and Obama's policies progressive. LOL@ people who think Obama is making progress. Unless by progress you mean progress toward spending my generation and my children's generation out of control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 08:12 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,111,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Virginians are getting exactly what they deserve. They wanted to have the nation view us as socially regressive, and now ye shall reap what ye have sown. I hope all of these "anti-Obama" nut jobs here in VA are pleased with their decision to blindly throw their support behind ANY Republican in spite!
HUH? Who might that be? Lots of people in Virginia, and across the US, are regretting their choice of Obama because of the huge debt that we're facing, the high unemployment, the terrible health insurance bill, and the rising taxes. That hardly makes them ''nut jobs" nor does it mean that they support any republican who wants to run for office.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:37 AM

1,295 posts, read 4,225,809 times
Its just politics people.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:09 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,500,430 times
Try living up north like I have to then go visit Virginia. You'll know for sure that Virginia is part of the South!

Old 04-08-2010, 09:50 PM

542 posts, read 785,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway29south View Post
Try living up north like I have to then go visit Virginia. You'll know for sure that Virginia is part of the South!
VA is a weird state as each region feels like a completely different state to me. Like for instance, the area below I-64, is much more rural and slower paced than other areas. I had a friend who lived in the Danville area and when I would visit it amazed me at how different it felt even compared to Staunton. I asked what the deal was with all these old log cabins by the road and he explained that they were old tobacco sheds. I had grown up in VA and had never even seen one of these things before. Where I live in the Shenandoah Valley feels somewhat like an extension of the central rural parts of PA when I drive up I-81. Of course NoVa is tied into the Bos-Wash megalopolis. Which is actually encroaching upon Richmond. The Hampton Roads area is totally different to someone from the central or mountanous parts of VA. I know personally it's interesting to have major ports and bays and an ocean in a mornings drive of my town which sits at approx 1300 feet above sea level. Richmond looks more like some of the cities in the northeast such as historic parts of Philadelphia and Baltimore, but obviously has the southern history. And I've never even been to the "Appalachia" coal mining part of VA, such as the panhandle part, but know it would be completely different from other parts as well.

Bottom line, if you only are familiar or have visited one region of VA and think you know the state, really you don't. So, with all this in mind I always refer to VA as being mid-atlantic for (1) geographically we are exactly mid-atlantic and (2) do have a mixing of north and south thanks to our larger cities, especially NoVa.

And I have visited PA many times and lived there for a time myself and can say with certainty that I have seen as many rebel flags there as I have seen here in VA! Currently Pittsburgh is one of my favorite cities though.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:53 AM

2,031 posts, read 6,116,705 times
To add to the confusion that is Virginia, this current governor McDonnell and his attorney general are staunch Roman Catholics, both of whom grew up in the North. So does that mean they aren't qualified for their roles since they are "yankees" and not from Virginia? Are you listening Obama? For people in other states who view southerners as all racists still fighting the civil war, why is our "yankee" governor interested in the civil war anyway? McDonnell & Cuccinelli are only interested in satisfying their political base, they could care less about any of this confederate stuff. Their real agenda is anti-Gay, anti-abortion rights, anti-poor and tax breaks for the wealthy. They came from Northern VA so therefore the people felt more comfortable with them than some hick from the Shenandoah Valley and the money helped them win the election.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:25 PM

50 posts, read 42,983 times
Quote:
For those who claim Virginia isn't a Southern state...
I've never heard anybody claiming this.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:10 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,246,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunFl0wer View Post
I've never heard anybody claiming this.
I've only heard people in the DEEP South (think Georgia) say this, and it was only one or two people.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:47 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,500,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebat View Post
VA is a weird state as each region feels like a completely different state to me. Like for instance, the area below I-64, is much more rural and slower paced than other areas. I had a friend who lived in the Danville area and when I would visit it amazed me at how different it felt even compared to Staunton. I asked what the deal was with all these old log cabins by the road and he explained that they were old tobacco sheds. I had grown up in VA and had never even seen one of these things before. Where I live in the Shenandoah Valley feels somewhat like an extension of the central rural parts of PA when I drive up I-81. Of course NoVa is tied into the Bos-Wash megalopolis. Which is actually encroaching upon Richmond. The Hampton Roads area is totally different to someone from the central or mountanous parts of VA. I know personally it's interesting to have major ports and bays and an ocean in a mornings drive of my town which sits at approx 1300 feet above sea level. Richmond looks more like some of the cities in the northeast such as historic parts of Philadelphia and Baltimore, but obviously has the southern history. And I've never even been to the "Appalachia" coal mining part of VA, such as the panhandle part, but know it would be completely different from other parts as well.

Bottom line, if you only are familiar or have visited one region of VA and think you know the state, really you don't. So, with all this in mind I always refer to VA as being mid-atlantic for (1) geographically we are exactly mid-atlantic and (2) do have a mixing of north and south thanks to our larger cities, especially NoVa.

And I have visited PA many times and lived there for a time myself and can say with certainty that I have seen as many rebel flags there as I have seen here in VA! Currently Pittsburgh is one of my favorite cities though.
You must have visited some other part of PA than I live in (Pittsburgh). There are certainly no rebel flags here, except on the trucks of a few locals who haven't a clue what the Rebel flag stands for.

I've been to many different parts of VA. My brother is stationed in Norfolk, I grew up in Danville, spent my summers in Williamsburg and Virginia beach, and I've stayed in Culpepper, Winchester, Roanoke and Charlottesville. I can say with certainty that after living in Pittsburgh for the past 20 years, Va is definitely South compared to here. There may be many yankees living in there that have changed the feel of Va, but it's still vastly different than here in Pittsburgh. The grocery stores alone, if you visited nothing else, tell me I'm in the South!

Old 04-10-2010, 02:12 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,531,960 times
Northern Virginia might as well be New Jersey. But the rest of Virginia definitely has a southern feel to it.

For those that argue that it isn't like "the deep south"...of course it isn't. It isn't in the deep south. But honestly, North Carolina and Tennessee are nothing like Mississippi. And Georgia is very different from Louisiana.

Even in my home state of Mississippi there are huge regional differences. The Delta is nothing at all like Northern Mississippi. And the coast is very different from the Jackson area.

But I think we can all agree that the South truly is the best part of our country!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or