U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2007, 07:46 PM

86 posts, read 349,911 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a two bedroom apartment in Falls Church or Arlington. I've done some online searches for apartments and have found some in the price range and location I'm looking for. I've read online reviews about them, and they sound okay, but I know nothing about the area and it's hard to know what's true in the reviews!! Please let me know if you know anything about these apartments! Thanks in advance.

Falls Church:
Fairfax Towers
Cavalier Club

Arlington:
Fillmore Garden Apartments
Cherry Hill Apartments
Wildwood Towers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 02:51 PM

Or can you at least tell me if they're in safe locations? Any info would help... thanks!

Old 06-08-2007, 05:42 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,344,802 times
Firstly, let me just preface this by saying that I have no firsthand experience with any of the apartment complexes and am just making perhaps false judgments based on their general location (learned from google maps) and their appearance on websites, so you may want to take this with a grain of salt. With that said, I'd rank them from best to worst as follows:

1) Cherry Hill Apartments - This is in North Arlington, just north of I-66. This general area is largely full of post-war brick single family homes; lots of families, extremely safe, good schools, and a bit removed (due to I-66) from the more commercial and restaurant-heavy yuppie portion of Arlington. You are less than 10 minutes from DC. Good public transit with the closest Metro stop I believe being Clarendon. If you had to, you could walk to it, but bus service is good either way.

2) Fairfax Towers -This is actually in the section in between Tysons Corner and Falls Church technically known as Pimmit Hills, but that most people probably still think of as Tysons. You are less than five minutes from Tysons Corner's "downtown" and the Galleria. You are also very close to most of the major roadways in Northern Virginia, Route 29, the Beltway, I-66 and the Dulles Toll Road which is great so far as it gives you access, but bad in that this area gets insanely gridlocked as a result. The area is very safe, and is less than 10 minutes from West Falls Church Metro, with good bus service as well.

3) Fillmore Garden - This is probably the area that I'm most uncertain of as far as it's character. It's located in Arlington Heights, a neighorhood bounded by Arlington Boulevard, Washington Boulevard, Columbia Pike and Glebe Road, all major thorougfares, and located sort of behind Arlington National Cemetery. I'm really blanking on this community for whatever reason. The location is good, it's an urban area, there's good bus service and the nearest Metro station would be Pentagon City, a short bus ride away, and from there a 5-10 minute Metro ride into DC. What gives me pause though is the appearance of the complex on the website. It may sound bizarre, but just the general style of this apartment complex makes me suspicious. There are many low-slung garden-style apartments of this sort alongside Columbia Pike and other thoroughfares, and they are generally a bit rundown and also a bit higher crime than other areas. Nothing major but it's the sort of area where I'd personally check out if possible (and at night if you can) before signing anything.

4) Wildwood Towers - This is on the fringe of Arlington where Arlington meets Bailey's Crossroads. This area is generally somewhat gritty and has a bit of a bad reputation in Northern Virginia as far as gangs and crime is concerned. It's really not that bad however. It's also a largely immigrant area (particularly Latinos, but a diverse mixture of everything really) if that's an issue for you, maybe not in the building itself but the surrounding community. As stupid as it may sound however, the fact that it's called "Towers" makes me think this is a high-rise building and the high-rise buildings tend to be nice in this area. It's usually the 2-3 story garden-style apartments that are shady in this area. This area is a bit inconvenient for commuting. Heavy gridlock and in a "hole" in Metro's coverage (at least trains, the bus comes).

5) Cavalier Club - This is one those "it says Falls Church but it's not really" situations that people on this forum have warned about in the past. This is in Seven Corners, only a few miles from the above apartments, and again, a grittier, more rundown area, with a large immigrant population and a bad reputation. I have long held that there are no true ghettoes in Northern Virginia in the sense of an inner city neighborhood where you have to worry about wearing the wrong colors or being caught in a drive-by (and there aren't), but rather a handful of communities where petty crime is a bigger nuisance than others (vandalism, car break-ins, graffiti, loud music late at night, menacing looking thugs and wannabes loitering around, etc.) and should be avoided if possible but where you're still generally safe. As a whole, Seven Corners is one of those areas. It's okay, but it's generally a stopping ground for people, the sort of place where people, largely from other countries move to when they first get here, and then the second they have enough money, they move out. It's not really a popular place to move TO. The apartment building itself looks a little shady to me. It's also in the "Metro hole" and the closest station is East Falls Church, a short bus ride away.

That's my general take on things. As I said, I could be completely off on things and am largely judging their locations more than the buildings themselves. I'm pretty confident though that #1 and #2 and perfectly fine, and also pretty comfortable in placing #5 as a last choice.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:54 PM

Great... I really appreciate the information!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or