Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 03:13 PM

78 posts, read 180,981 times

Advertisements

well, as a perspective, here in Nj we don't pay a car tax. But my insurance is roughly $500 a year- and we're excellent drivers, with a used car, and no coverage for theft. Our property insurance, for a tiny cape cod from the 50's and a yard so small that about 10 neighbors can see into my house, is $6500 a year, and goes up by $1000 a year.
So
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 03:14 PM

78 posts, read 180,981 times
we're hoping to move to va for relief on taxes! You guys seem to pay more on 'luxury" taxes, and sales taxes..and luckily, I have used cars and I don't shop!

Old 11-10-2007, 02:03 PM

134 posts, read 517,953 times
Agreed... Taxes all tend to balance out in my opinion. Here in NYS, I pay greater city & county property taxes, city school taxes, state income & sales taxes..... and still have to pay to use the NYS Thruway (I-90). To balance that out my DMV fees are probably lower than yours as we don't have a pers. prop. tax on cars. And the fees for state campgrounds & parks seems to be a little lower. Regarding the property taxes here- our rates are higher but our property values are lower (Rochester NY) than most other regions.

I guess I can appreciate taxes for services I choose to use, like cars & boats, park fees, etc. Coming from a state where it is more acceptable to tax EVERYTHING "to make it fair".... I'm not sure your taxation issues are as bad. Not an indictment of your situation, just an observation.

Virginia is known as a much better state for economic freedom, and that includes taxes on people and businesses. New York.... not so much.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:44 PM

673 posts, read 3,137,688 times
Yeah the car tax has to be the worst thing around here. And its always do in June and Decemeber. A nice way to screw everyone's summer vacation and Christmas.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:52 PM

129 posts, read 458,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkd View Post
I personally don't believe there's such a correlation between spending and good schools,
I think good funding CAN make a difference in schools, but most affluent schools and many non-so-affluent ones, make poor decisions. The craze for computers, even in elementary schools, is an example. I'd rather see the money spent for first-class teachers (and small class sizes) so that the kids can be taught how to read, think, and write. They don't need a word processor if they can't compose a sentence, and they don't need the Internet if they can't read a book.

Oh, right, this is about taxes...
Don't buy property somewhere without researching all the applicable taxes and fees (and HOAs for that sort of community). If something catches you by surpirse after you move, whose fault is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia