U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2010, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 6,970 times

Advertisements

We are looking to find a home in the general Charlottesville area with room for 5 plus horses and dogs (10-20 acres). The Fluvanna Co area looks affordable ($2-300,000), and the real estate there looks promising. In the catagory of "too good to be true", why are there so many many homes available there and at such reasonable prices? Is there something people should know about that area that is making so many people sell their homes? Are the schools undesirable? Are the laws and ordinances too confining (like western NY)? Drug dealers taking over? Some secret that a family should be privy to before investing in that area? We have 1 middle-schooler to think of and want to be near to city amenities as well as have the privacy of the country. Of course, mountain views would be more than welcome if we could find all the other and afford to live in such a place. Answers and suggestions please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 03:48 PM

1,756 posts, read 3,242,824 times
I don't think that there is a mass exodus from Fluvanna County.
I live in Louisa County which adjoins Fluvanna. I cannot speak about the schools, but suspect that they are on par with Louisa County. I have a child in middle school and overall have been satisfied with the school system here.

Perhaps with the real estate market beginning to stablize, more sellers may be encouraged to put their places on the market.

Good luck in your search.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:34 PM

11,151 posts, read 14,114,566 times
Property prices drop as soon as you cross the Albemarle/Fluvanna County line. Schools in Albemarle are generally considered better, and many people will pay more to live there. While I don't know about Palmyra specifically, Fluvanna County in general is fine.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:37 PM

542 posts, read 787,852 times
It's probably cheap because it's also in the middle of nowhere with no shopping except for Wal Mart. Fluvanna is part of the Charlottesville area, but is mainly a rural county. Palmyra is a small town/village. There is a larger development called Lake Monticello that is usually where most of the wealthier people live, I have the impression that it's mainly retirees. Zion Crossroads is a strip on I-64 and not much else. Everyone who lives there has to go to Charlottesville to work or shop. As far as the mass exodus thing, I was under the impression that Fluvanna was growing, not shrinking. As Cville/Albemarle is so expensive, many just move a little further out where it's cheap and commute.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:19 AM

11,151 posts, read 14,114,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebat View Post
It's probably cheap because it's also in the middle of nowhere with no shopping except for Wal Mart. Fluvanna is part of the Charlottesville area, but is mainly a rural county. Palmyra is a small town/village. There is a larger development called Lake Monticello that is usually where most of the wealthier people live, I have the impression that it's mainly retirees. Zion Crossroads is a strip on I-64 and not much else. Everyone who lives there has to go to Charlottesville to work or shop. As far as the mass exodus thing, I was under the impression that Fluvanna was growing, not shrinking. As Cville/Albemarle is so expensive, many just move a little further out where it's cheap and commute.
The only thing I can add is that numerous public employees (teachers, police officers, etc.) also live at Lake Monticello .....

Old 05-11-2010, 07:11 PM

5 posts, read 20,842 times
Default Fluvanna County Va Public Schools

I'm thinking about moving to Fluvanna County, how are the public schools?

Old 09-16-2010, 08:10 PM

11 posts, read 35,041 times
Smile I live at Lake Monticello

I moved to Lake Monticello from Northern Virginia in 2003. My family has owned property here since the '70s. During the real estate boom it was the 2nd fastest growing county in the state behind Loudon County in NOVA. Fluvanna schools are acutally rated the highest in the entire Charlottesville area. They are highest for SAT scores, on time graduation and more. I received the stats from the Superintendent of Fluvanna County. Lake Monticello used to be mostly retirees but that has really changed over the past 10-15 years. While there is a large group of retirees, there is probably the same amount if not more families, and a growing group of young professionals. It's mostly a bedroom community to Charlottesville BUT it does have doctors offices, dentists, lawyers, restaurants, grocery store (but who wants Food Lion) plenty of outdoor activies at Lake Monticello and in Fluvanna County. It's more of a small tight knit town than a subdivision. There are 10,000 people that live in the lake. It definitely has a special community. The only downsides are the water and sewer rates. Although they are supposed to decrease very soon. Lake Monticello is a great option if you need affordable housing and nice people. By the way there isn't a lot of real estate available compared to how many homes that are for sale here. People often forget that there are roughly 4200 homes at the lake and right now there are only about 147 homes for sale. That is definitely lower than the national average and I wouldn't be surprised if it was lower than the surrounding communities. ALSO Fluvanna County is considered a non-declining real estate market. Watch out for the Zion Crossroads area there is going to be major development over there in the next few years. Many things are already in works for commercial development.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:14 PM

11 posts, read 35,041 times
Default 1 more thing about the new high school

The new Fluvanna County high school will be built by 2012 (I believe). Apparently it's going to be one of the most high tech high schools in country. Although Central is one of the largest elementary schools in the state, the problem should be fixed by 2012. Good luck to you!

Old 09-22-2010, 09:14 AM

5 posts, read 20,842 times
Thank you for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or