Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 07:26 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,381,478 times

Advertisements

The short: I'm a VW enthusiast/advocate, you'd be hard pressed to go wrong with one.

The long:

I'm another "sold on VW" guy having used an '01 Jetta TDI as a Daily for the past 8 years. While I'm a mechanic and bother to give my vehicles both scheduled service AND preventative maintenance, I haven't had any mechanical failures (parts physically breaking), and the electrical have been limited to a coolant temp sensor, glow-plug harness and the alternator gave up at 220k miles. Still on the original transmission (and clutch), original door handles, original window regulators (which were changed to metal in 2001), all interior switches and lights operate as intended, heck even the heated seats still work correctly. The worst I can say about the car is that the paint was thin on the front bumper and needed a repaint at 200k miles (and a decade on the road through states that lay sand for 6 months of winter).

In short, it's been every bit as reliable as the Toyota that's parked next to it. Parts costs are not any more than for the Toyota when shopping online, if anything they are a Touch cheaper (OEM vs OEM ~ though it's hard to know if those parts are sourced directly from a dealer, or direct from the mfg.) Availability is complete, never had issue finding or buying what I needed.

Point in fact, my wife and I are, at this very moment, getting financing together to buy a new Passat TDI. We had briefly looked at the Audi A3 TDI, but it's less well appointed than the Passat for more money. I don't get it, but I don't care either ~ though I'd rather have the hatch than a sedan again. Since we're used to driving an engine that only had 90hp from the factory (and is most likely below that now, with over 240k miles), and there's only a 400lb weight difference but 50 more factory HP, the lb per HP drops nearly by nearly 10lbs ~ it'll be faster/more peppy than what I'm used to. I'd even gladly give up those 50hp for 10 more mpg, but that's not an option in this world. Seems like people don't have issue hitting mpg figures just under what I can return, so not giving up much on the fuel economy standpoint.

As for the BMWs... meh. I'm not a (Top Gear slang here):

I don't act like one, drive like one or want to be thought of as one. Anything that claims they are the "Ultimate" anything, aren't and are usually well below that mark behind multiples of other companies. I've driven a few and found them seriously lacking. Not a car I would Ever choose to own because they are a massive compromise. Others do, and that's good for the world, but they are about as poor a fit for me and my driving style as one could possibly get. If I want "sport", I'll buy (another) Porsche. I don't enjoy "sport" (read, harsh/tight/firm) suspension and handling when rolling over hundreds of miles of expansion joints on a family vacation. My back hurts even just thinking about it.

VW (since I don't trust a MB, much less have the money to buy one) is the best choice of what's available For ME. I feel apathetic and even slightly bored by the Asian car offerings as well. I've made the Domestic brand mistake before, and while it looks like they are Slowly catching up to what the rest of the world can offer (style, comfort, reliability, etc...), they aren't their yet. Maybe in a couple more generations (6~8 years).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 08:49 AM

11,318 posts, read 16,634,674 times
Before anyone here even thinks about a Jetta TDI (A5) better go over to the TDIclub forum and read about the HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump) implosions. I had a 2009 TDI and while my HPFP didn't implode , I'd prefer sleeping at night and traded it in for a 2012 Chevy Cruze (Jan 2012). While cleary not the same car as a TDI, I sleep like a baby now.

And the HPFP's are still imploding what seems like on a weekly basis for those who are members of that forum.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:41 PM

162 posts, read 380,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Before anyone here even thinks about a Jetta TDI (A5) better go over to the TDIclub forum and read about the HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump) implosions. I had a 2009 TDI and while my HPFP didn't implode , I'd prefer sleeping at night and traded it in for a 2012 Chevy Cruze (Jan 2012). While cleary not the same car as a TDI, I sleep like a baby now.

And the HPFP's are still imploding what seems like on a weekly basis for those who are members of that forum.
That HPFP issue isn't on the Passat or Touareg and is rumored to be fixed for '13 on the Jetta/Golf. I've also seen VW be more then accommodating on out of warranty repairs on it per the comments on that site

Old 02-09-2013, 02:46 PM

774 posts, read 1,690,509 times
I like the current crop of VWs a lot, but if you have your heart set on a BMW as the ultimate sort of anything, you can get a 2010 328i with a year or two left on the factory warranty for around $22K. Not a bad deal at that price imho.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:46 PM

4,192 posts, read 3,734,572 times
Quote:

I couldnt sleep at night if I knew there was a Chevy Cruze parked in my driveway, lol.

The second VW I owned was a 1999 Jetta. Shortky after purchasing it I read the reviews and they were pretty bad for the most part. I began to think I had made a mistake. I bought it for a commuter car as I was traveling a lot with the job I had. I put on close to 45k a year and I had zero problems with it. I sold it because I switched jobs and didnt need a commuter car anymore but I still wish I had it. In fact its one of the reasons I bought my 2012 Passat TDI. If I had listened to what everyone else said I would have missed out on a great car and an ever greater one now.

My first VW was an 87 Golf GT. That was another one of my favorites. I beat the hell out of that thing and it kept going. That car also gave me zero problems and I have to say that owning that car made me a fan.

My parents have owned VW's, friends have owned VW's, inlaws have owned VW's...never any major problems at all. Maybe everyone has just been lucky. Growing up where I did you werent cool unless you drove a VW and that is what kind of got me curious about the whole VW thing.

I currently have a 2012 Passat TDI and think its an amazing car. Unbelievable mpg's, great handling, extrememly roomy..I love it. Wish it was AWD though which is the only reason if I ever get rid of it I may think about an Audi, but thats about it. Ive never driven a BMW, have always liked them but never in my price range for what im looking for. I think the VW is a great bang for the buck, all while getting the taste of German engineering.

Honda and Toyota are boring cookie cutter cars these days and I personally would never drive one. Get something a little diferent that sticks out from the crowd. Get a VW, I guarantee you wont be dissapointed.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:57 PM

11,318 posts, read 16,634,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I couldnt sleep at night if I knew there was a Chevy Cruze parked in my driveway, lol.

The second VW I owned was a 1999 Jetta. Shortky after purchasing it I read the reviews and they were pretty bad for the most part. I began to think I had made a mistake. I bought it for a commuter car as I was traveling a lot with the job I had. I put on close to 45k a year and I had zero problems with it. I sold it because I switched jobs and didnt need a commuter car anymore but I still wish I had it. In fact its one of the reasons I bought my 2012 Passat TDI. If I had listened to what everyone else said I would have missed out on a great car and an ever greater one now.

My first VW was an 87 Golf GT. That was another one of my favorites. I beat the hell out of that thing and it kept going. That car also gave me zero problems and I have to say that owning that car made me a fan.

My parents have owned VW's, friends have owned VW's, inlaws have owned VW's...never any major problems at all. Maybe everyone has just been lucky. Growing up where I did you werent cool unless you drove a VW and that is what kind of got me curious about the whole VW thing.

I currently have a 2012 Passat TDI and think its an amazing car. Unbelievable mpg's, great handling, extrememly roomy..I love it. Wish it was AWD though which is the only reason if I ever get rid of it I may think about an Audi, but thats about it. Ive never driven a BMW, have always liked them but never in my price range for what im looking for. I think the VW is a great bang for the buck, all while getting the taste of German engineering.

Honda and Toyota are boring cookie cutter cars these days and I personally would never drive one. Get something a little diferent that sticks out from the crowd. Get a VW, I guarantee you wont be dissapointed.
Say what you want, but a little over 1 year and 17,000 trouble free miles. I'm willing to guarantee that the 2009-2012 Jetta TDI's will be the Ford Pinto's of the future. No, they won't be blowing up, but no one will want them knowing that they're driving an $8000-$10,000 time bomb repair bill. One day and it will be soon VW's not going to cover this beyond the warranty.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:12 PM

4,192 posts, read 3,734,572 times
Quote:
Say what you want, but a little over 1 year and 17,000 trouble free miles. I'm willing to guarantee that the 2009-2012 Jetta TDI's will be the Ford Pinto's of the future. No, they won't be blowing up, but no one will want them knowing that they're driving an $8000-$10,000 time bomb repair bill. One day and it will be soon VW's not going to cover this beyond the warranty.
Im not trying to bust balls..just particular with what I drive. I prefer to make my own review and try to forget what I hear others say as I found with the Jetta I owned. Not a fan of the Chevy Cruze but I do have to say that at least you got one of those over a Honda. Everyone buys vehicles for different reasons I just choose to ignore what I read and I havent been bit in the butt yet. WIth the amount of people I know that have owned VW's and perhaps their lucky streak in reliability I am willing to chance it.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,660 posts, read 57,778,624 times
I would not wear out the window operators on a NEW VW if I chose to buy one....

I am SO USED to opening my door instead of window at cash machines / drive-ups / toll booths that I would never even imagine VW made an operational E window. (or auto tranny or METAL door handle vs PLASTIC).

there are some issues with VW IF you want an Autotranny or functional window operator.

Just stick with the 87 GTI and you will be safe. And be able to drive it the rest of your life. I'm sure their are PLENTY in the million mile club, just that the little gear in Odometer broke about 300k and it has been skipping ever since.

Oh, but the 87 WILL leak water into interior till you thinnk there is a funnel attached to the roof. It's actually the rubber at base of side windows that has a 10mm gap due to shrinkage.

Bring your overshoes if you live in a rainy climate.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:54 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,645,405 times
Volkswagens marketing department should be considered the best in the world for making a crappy mexican yugo with a history of chronic electrical problems an expensive yup tool
Given this, Audis marketing genius's would be considered gods

Old 02-10-2013, 01:53 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,382,473 times
In 2007, I bought a 2003 Passat Wagon 2.0 Turbo w/78k miles on it. I needed a small delivery vehicle that gets better mileage than my full sized van, about 28 mpg vs. 14 mpg. I drove it 10k miles, decided I really liked this car and then proceeded to get it set-up for another 80k miles by getting a new timing belt, etc. I spent around $2k plus new tires. Since then, I have 160k miles on it using it about 40% for work plus a couple trips back to Maine and CA. Just recently, I got my second timing belt, PCV valve, hoses, etc. It still looks good and is clean inside. Since it's paid for, I can justify any periodic maintenance or repair because the monthly costs have been historically lower for me than a new car payment. Once they get this old, 10 years and 160k miles, it's worth a lot more to me than any price it would sell for. I might as well just drive it until it doesn't like me any more. One thing though, it is expensive to have it serviced at a VW dealership. I have no complaints against any of them as they are always very professional and thorough. I found my own mechanic which has saved my a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen