Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 10:48 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,066,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Volkswagens marketing department should be considered the best in the world for making a crappy mexican yugo with a history of chronic electrical problems an expensive yup tool
Given this, Audis marketing genius's would be considered gods
They're like iPhones that don't work...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 10:57 PM

174 posts, read 596,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Volkswagens marketing department should be considered the best in the world for making a crappy mexican yugo with a history of chronic electrical problems an expensive yup tool
Given this, Audis marketing genius's would be considered gods
This is so true. I find it interesting that many people that drive VWs think and act like they're driving a car that is on the same level as a Mercedes, BMW and or a Lexus. As far as I'm concerned, VWs are no worse or better than an average Chevy or Ford.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:15 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,754,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE-Ed View Post
This is so true. I find it interesting that many people that drive VWs think and act like they're driving a car that is on the same level as a Mercedes, BMW and or a Lexus. As far as I'm concerned, VWs are no worse or better than an average Chevy or Ford.
I realize you didnt say everyone thinks that way but as a fan of VW I in no way put VW at the same level as a Mercedes or BMW. For me it is a reliable, German engineered, affordable car that is not as boring as a many other cars I see on the road.

With that being said though...look at the Taureg...its a Porsche Cayenne. A few years ago the Passat shared the same body as an Audi. I see VW as the less expensive alternative to those high end German cars. Would I love to own a BMW? Sure I would but with the amount of miles I put on my cars I couldnt justify spending that much. Ill take the next best thing which in my opinion is a VW. You couldnt give me a Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc..I wouldnt drive them. Yes depending on options VW can be slightly more than those Japanese imports but I would rather spend a hair more for a car that stands out from the crowd a little and has a more solid feel, handles better, etc... For instance when you drive a Honda, you are just another ant in the ant hill...too boring for me.

Maybe I have just been lucky with my VWs, maybe my friends and family have been lucky as well, but until they start giving me major problems I will continue to buy them.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:30 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,105,948 times
We have a 2011 volkswagen cc and we absolutely love it

Turbo 4-cylinder is very quick and it gets great gas mileage. Comfortable, cool features, rides nicely.

And all for under $30,000

Old 02-11-2013, 05:41 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,811,241 times
i have a tdi jetta no problems with it yet. it dosen't require the def fluid like the taureg and the passat do on less expence. it's been across the country a few times and has never given me any problems. though i would go with a diesel over a gas powered engine as the fuel economy is incredible as well and it will hold it's resale value better when you goto trade it in.there fun and there fast off the line for a diesel and there frugal. the only gripe i have with the taureg is that requries the def fluid at 5k intervals most don't require untill 10k intervals the passat don't require the def fluid for 10k miles aswell. but the taurage has a chain in the engine and not a timing belt so you could run it into the ground as far as high milage.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:27 AM

458 posts, read 1,248,373 times
My only experience with VW is my current car which is a 2012 GTI. I love it, it's really fun to drive but also quite practical as a daily driver. And the interior is the same quality as an Audi.

The Passat looks like a nice car and has gotten a lot of good reviews. I believe you can get it with the same engine that's in the GTI. So while not as sporty as the GTI it should still be plenty quick and the interior will feel like you're driving something that cost twice as much.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:06 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,410,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I realize you didnt say everyone thinks that way but as a fan of VW I in no way put VW at the same level as a Mercedes or BMW. For me it is a reliable, German engineered, affordable car that is not as boring as a many other cars I see on the road.
That's me too. My Jetta TDI is a German engineered econo-box. Sure, it's on the upper side with full leather interior, heated seats, power sun and moon roof, etc... but I don't put it in a category with the "upscale" brands. Just as my Toyota isn't a Lexus, my VW isn't an Audi. Even Audi isn't on the same level as BMW, and BMW isn't on the same level as MB.

I like the way the Germans do things. Maybe it's because I'm a mechanic and appreciate some things that most people never see (doing a 100% top-side oil change), maybe it's because their ergonomics feel designed just for me (I'm 6'4", can't even get comfortable in half the smaller cars made), or maybe it's because I'm 3/4 German by blood. Who knows, but I like the vehicles.

I do, and will continue to, buy the best vehicle for me. Doesn't really matter to me what brand it is as I'm not a brand-centric person (other than absolutely avoiding all Apple iProducts). Advertising has very little to do with what I buy since I'm a function before form person (my wife too, though she's more like 60:40 while I'm up in the 90:10 range). My next vehicle will have to meet my current economy standards of 50mpg combined for Diesel, or 43mpg combined with low-grade gas (same cost per mile) ~ why go backwards if that's what I'm getting right now with a 2001?

Old 02-11-2013, 11:24 AM

29,433 posts, read 14,618,885 times
While I love my '00 Jetta TDI, that has 183k miles on it and has been a great car. If it didn't have the TDI and gets 48-50mpg on a regular basis I don't think I'd own a VW. To me the mileage and the diesel offset some of the quirky little things that can go wrong.
I really like the CC though, and my wife is looking for a newer vehicle. I haven't heard much about them so I don't know if I should push her in that direction. Top on her list is a BMW 3 series.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:36 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,010,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post
...The Passat looks like a nice car and has gotten a lot of good reviews. I believe you can get it with the same engine that's in the GTI. So while not as sporty as the GTI it should still be plenty quick and the interior will feel like you're driving something that cost twice as much.
You can't anymore. The previous generation Passat was available with the 2.0T standard, the new Passat offers the 2.5L engine from the previous Jetta Sedan, along with TDI, and the narrow angle V6. The new car also has a transversely mounted engine, as opposed to the previous car's Longitudinal arrangement...which shows the major difference, where the prevoius car shared it's chasis with the A4, the new vehicle does not. It's still a great car, but it's Audi roots are now more "skin deep" than in previous iterations.

GTI/Golf still share their underpinnings with the Audi A3...It'd be fantastic if they would include the newest Jetta with the upcoming A3 sedan underneith, but I highly doubt that's going to happen.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:49 AM

458 posts, read 1,248,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
You can't anymore. The previous generation Passat was available with the 2.0T standard, the new Passat offers the 2.5L engine from the previous Jetta Sedan, along with TDI, and the narrow angle V6. The new car also has a transversely mounted engine, as opposed to the previous car's Longitudinal arrangement...which shows the major difference, where the prevoius car shared it's chasis with the A4, the new vehicle does not. It's still a great car, but it's Audi roots are now more "skin deep" than in previous iterations.

GTI/Golf still share their underpinnings with the Audi A3...It'd be fantastic if they would include the newest Jetta with the upcoming A3 sedan underneith, but I highly doubt that's going to happen.
That's a shame, I was not aware of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen