Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 08:43 AM

123 posts, read 192,670 times

Advertisements

So I am in the market for a new car and the practical side has won as I am looking for a mid size sedan (as opposed to sports car, maybe next time!). Given my need for something practical yet a little left of center I have been looking at a few Volkswagen, specifically the Volkswagen Passat (for the money it seems like a good deal). I am still looking at other brands but there is something about Volkswagen that i like. Maybe it's the German handling without the BMW pricetag. Speaking of the handling, I like it on the Passat, although the car could have more power. That being said, the power is comparable to other cars in it's class and the handling is nice (German cars kick a** regarding handling, as some of you already know). In the past I have heard negative things regarding reliability however I have been told that since the 2008 models, Vdub has turned a corner. I also like that the Passat is build in the U.S., so I'm thinking that some of those expensive German parts should be relatively cheaper (can anyone verify this?). What are your thoughts, feelings, philosophies and experiences regarding Volkswagen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 09:20 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
I have owned several VW's and absolutely love them. I currently have a 2012 Passat TDI. I think it handles well, has plenty of power, lots of trunk space and interior room and I also get an average mpg on the highway of about 48mpgs. I cant say enough good things about VW. They have a nice solid feel to them. Im like you...I love the German handling but not looking for that price tag. I am very particular with my cars and I think I made a good choice.

As far as parts I couldnt tell you. If you go brand new the maintenance costs are free for 36K miles so thats a plus.

I have also owned a Jetta that I zero problems with and a Golf GTI many years ago and they were great cars.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:29 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
If you want a BMW, get a BMW. A FWD front heavy VW is not at all competitive with a RWD 3 series in the handling department. Don't kid yourself.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:34 AM

123 posts, read 192,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
If you want a BMW, get a BMW. A FWD front heavy VW is not at all competitive with a RWD 3 series in the handling department. Don't kid yourself.
Agreed, but you have to admit that the German cars all have a particular feel to them. I've driven BMW's, Mercerdes, Audi, and VW's. A BMW definitely has different DNA than a Volkswagen however, the DNA has some similarities. The Germans know how to engineer things.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:38 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Get a B6 Passat, 2009 or later with the 2.0T. You will not be disappointed. Still ze German build and decent giddyup out of the box, and infinitely tunable to much higher output. The 2.5 in the new Passat is a safe choice, but down on HP for the size of the car. TDI would be better because of more torque.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Try all, and choose the one that FITS your style of driving. You will find they also FIT your body differently. Spend some serious time / driving courses doing this. I am glad I have always lived near mtns, as that is where I STRETCH my vehicles. I have 34 VW's so a bit biased, but... I sure wish I could get CRANK windows and METAL door handles. VW does have a reliability problem in this area...

For my Passat fleet (B4's) I keep LOTS of spares on hand. (cars and door handles)
I will always stay in the early yrs, as I LOVE my 52 mpg and 25 gal tanks... Having to stop more frequenlty than once every 1,000 miles is very troublesome to 'Average Speed'

Old 02-06-2013, 01:39 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by super karate man View Post
Agreed, but you have to admit that the German cars all have a particular feel to them. I've driven BMW's, Mercerdes, Audi, and VW's. A BMW definitely has different DNA than a Volkswagen however, the DNA has some similarities. The Germans know how to engineer things.

Sure. I've also bought something other than a BMW because it seemed more practical. When I finally bought the BMW, I realized that I should have just done that in the first place. A Passat is slightly cheaper than a 328i, but if you're in a financial situation where you can (really) afford the depreciation on a new car the difference is negligible. So why compromise?

Old 02-06-2013, 02:39 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
I like the Passat as well but I don't need that big of a car so I'm looking at the Jetta TDI and I like the GTI 6 speed. It was sooo much fun to drive. I'm still kinda stuck on the '13 Accord but if I were to go fun it would be the GTI

Old 02-06-2013, 03:14 PM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I like the Passat as well but I don't need that big of a car so I'm looking at the Jetta TDI and I like the GTI 6 speed. It was sooo much fun to drive. I'm still kinda stuck on the '13 Accord but if I were to go fun it would be the GTI
Ouch please not a Honda, lol. Thats going into a whole different ballgame

Old 02-06-2013, 03:27 PM

251 posts, read 522,669 times
The current Passat has considerably less "content" than the previous version, it's now intended to compete with Camry's, Accord's, etc. I would spend a few dollars more and get the BMW. Drive them back to back, and you'll see there's a significant difference in the way they drive. Nothing inherently wrong with the Passat, but the 3 series is so far ahead, I don't see the VW really in the same league. Actually, I would probably choose a low mileage, late model BMW 3 over a new VW. My daughter drives a BMW 335 (300hp twin turbo) that she bought with 18,000 miles for $32k. BMW warranty to 100k miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen