Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 12:13 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,870,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
I'm considering a VW TDI. Maybe a Golf, Passat or a Sportwagen. I have never owned a VW but am considering a TDI for the great gas mileage....... and maybe to break out of the Honda/Toyota mode. I'll be moving soon and will probably put about 25K miles per year on my car, mostly hwy miles. Any advice? I've done some research on some VW TDI forums, but most of the people on those forums are partial to VW's so I'd like some more objective opinions.
First of all, VW's have good manufacturing years and bad years. Be sure to do your consumer research before you buy. Secondly, I have friends who bought one, and it gave them a lot of trouble. The bearings needed changing after they'd only had it a couple of years, and that was a brand-new car.

Thirdly, everyone I know bought TDI's in order to NOT use petroleum products in it. They bought it to run it off of cooking oil, which is a lot cheaper than gas, especially if you buy in bulk. In most climates in the US, you have to pay someone to make an adjustment so the fuel doesn't freeze in winter, but in NM there was someone who provided that service for just $150, so people came from all over the SW for that cheap service. You never have to worry about running out of fuel on a road trip, because you can carry your fuel with you in gallon jugs for emergencies, and fuel up at any Costco or Sam's Club, or wherever they sell bulk cooking oil. Or you can drive up to any fast food restaurant and have them pour their used cooking oil in for free. In that case, you have to carry a batch of extra filters, to change the filters frequently.

So there are pros and cons. Do your research on the Blue Book and consumer reports websites, and decide if it's worth it to you to take a chance. Some people love the TDI's, and luck into a problem-free one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 12:43 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,055,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
There are several things that would keep me from buying a TDI. First and foremost, it is a VW. VW hasn't sold a reliable car in the US since the last air cooled one was built in the 70s. Second, it has a turbocharger. That is just a big something else to go wrong. Third, diesel fuel is WAY too expensive. The great MPG diesels deliver is offset by the difference in price. Finding someone to work on one of these POSs besides the VERY expensive dealer could also be a headache.

My Toyota Corolla gets 35 mpg around town, and on a recent 600 mile trip, it got 39 MPG, down from 42 before they started putting ethanol in the gasoline. The car is super reliable, and gets nearly the MPG of diesel cars, but uses 87 octane regular which is 60 cents less per gallon around these parts! Any good Japanese make will save you in fuel, frustration, and headaches over a VW.
I guess you did not read the OP's very first post where he stated that he wanted to break out of the Honda/Toyota mode.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:46 PM

359 posts, read 773,472 times
I have a TDi - A Passat TDi with 6 speed manual.

Its a 2014 model and I bought it because
- I had/have a lot of commute miles.
- 95% or more of miles are HWY.

I bought the 6 speed because
- it can be had without navigation (who needs gps for doing A-B-A 250 times a year)
- it can be had without leather (leatherette is more durable)
- it is the cheapest option in Diesel Passat lineup.
- it is (slightly) more efficient.
- Most importantly, the 6 speed actually lets you shift as and when you want.

I have
- put 10k miles in 3.5 months
- driven 950 miles on one tank with plenty to go.
- averaged 52.5 mpg over the last 10k miles (calculated by hand, at the pump)
- have "managed" 63 mpg with average speed of 58 mph over 300 miles.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:00 PM

603 posts, read 832,067 times
I just test drove a 2015 Golf TDI. It was very nice. The ride was surprisingly comfortable for a small car. It was also roomier than it looked from the outside. Without the cargo are cover it looks like my dogs can sit in the back comfortably with the back seats up or down. I also looked at a 2014 Jetta Sportwagen but did not drive it. Overall I was impressed. I asked if 2015 JSW's would be available soon and the salesperson said no because the new Golf SW was coming out in 2015 or 2016 to replace the JSW.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:14 PM

28,906 posts, read 14,243,132 times
Currently drive a 2000 VW Jetta TDI, as my daily commuter. It's got 210k miles on it and for the most part the car does exactly what I need it to. It starts, is somewhat fun to drive (it is not stock), and get's 46-48mpg. This is also my second diesel vehicle. For the most part I can say I really love driving diesels, but when it comes to my next vehicle I will probably shy away from them. I think the added emissions garbage has done nothing but hurt the reliabilty and ease of maintaining a diesel vehicle which are the two major things (for me)that make up for the added cost.
I would love a BMW 335D or an Audi A3 or A4 but I just don't want to deal with all the emissions related issues after the vehicle is out of warranty. And they will happen regardless of brand.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:46 AM

603 posts, read 832,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgto View Post
I have a TDi - A Passat TDi with 6 speed manual.

Its a 2014 model and I bought it because
- I had/have a lot of commute miles.
- 95% or more of miles are HWY.

I bought the 6 speed because
- it can be had without navigation (who needs gps for doing A-B-A 250 times a year)
- it can be had without leather (leatherette is more durable)
- it is the cheapest option in Diesel Passat lineup.
- it is (slightly) more efficient.
- Most importantly, the 6 speed actually lets you shift as and when you want.

I have
- put 10k miles in 3.5 months
- driven 950 miles on one tank with plenty to go.
- averaged 52.5 mpg over the last 10k miles (calculated by hand, at the pump)
- have "managed" 63 mpg with average speed of 58 mph over 300 miles.
The Passat is a bigger car than the Jetta and Golf, so why does the Passat TDI get better MPG than the Jetta and comparable MPG to the Golf?

Old 03-12-2015, 02:37 PM

150 posts, read 170,205 times
Is anyone still there?

Old 03-12-2015, 10:11 PM

19 posts, read 32,341 times
I have had a 2013 VW Jetta TDI for about 2 1/2 years now and I love it! I have learned all the gas stations that have diesel fuel near me, and that is something I would recommend doing, because even if the station says they have diesel, it may cater to trucks only and not have the right size nozzle! the car is a perfect fit, not too big and not too small, now that my kids are grown and it's just me and my 2 small dogs. And it is fun to drive, which is why I got rid of my Camry. I have had no problems with it, and maintenence is only required every 10,000 mi.
I have gotten 51.5 mpg on the highway, high 40's around town, slightly lower in the winter with snow tires and cold weather. I also had a Passat wagon a few years ago, and loved that one also. None of the other cars I've had-Mazda, Toyota, Honda, Subaru, dodge, etc. were actually fun to drive- I think there is something to be said about German engineering.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:38 AM

160 posts, read 299,223 times
I just purchased a 2015 Golf TDI. Seems like a fantastic car with outstanding mileage.
Time will tell for reliability. I went with an extended warranty just in case.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:02 PM
RFF

165 posts, read 300,562 times
I love my '12 Jetta TDI Sedan. I've done the 40k service including DSG with a RossTech VAGCOM cable/software and ordering the 40k with DSG change kit at IDPARTS.com. Routine maintenance is simple.

It's been reliable. No issues at all. I changed the tires over to the Michelin Primacy MXV4 after the crummy Kumhos were almost bald. It now rides smoother and has less road noise.

As far as MPG, I get 34-38 combined. It depends how much i push the pedal down (I do love the torque).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen