Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2016, 02:55 PM

407 posts, read 828,469 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I have a couple questions regarding the direction Volkswagen is going with their Jetta lineup.
I currently own a 2013 Jetta TDI. I absolutely love the cars performance and the fuel economy. My girlfriend just purchased a 2016 Jetta SE. I was very very surprised to see that there is so much more plastic being used in the car... The dashboard is all plastic in the new Jetta. My 2013 TDI was all hard rubber material. I also noticed that the seat is all manual now. The 2013 Jetta came with electric seat adjustments.

With the major recall on the VW TDIs... I have been thinking about letting my Jetta go at the end of its lease and to get a gas (1.4 or 1.8) Jetta. How much has in the Jetta during these years have changed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 02:08 AM

797 posts, read 751,615 times
Well from the gas aspect if it,the '13 had an inline 5 cylinder and the inline 4. Both N/A.
The '14-present has the 1.8 t with addition of the 1.4 you mentioned.
I do know the 1.8 is way more powerful as I have owned the 2.5 inline 5 and the 1.8(which I have now)
The suspension set up is different as well,using a multilink suspension. As far as the '15s and up, its mainly cosmetic features compared to the '14. Some electronics inside too . Havent really looked at the '15-16's.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:45 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
Unless I stick with a sport coupe I'm looking into the Jetta GLI trim line...probably between a 2012-2014. From the research that I have done it has the 2.0 TSI turbo and a little bit higher quality interior I think. I'm not real sure what changed in 2016 either I don't buy that new.

From wiki:

Jetta GLI
The Jetta GLI, a sedan version of the Golf GTI based on the new Jetta, was revealed at the 2011 Chicago Auto Show with the 2.0 TSI 210 hp engine and a fully independent suspension, as well as the European Jetta's soft touch materials. A black honeycomb grill, aggressive lower intakes, side adorning foglights, smoked taillights, dual tailpipes, red painted calipers, and red stitching are all elements to separate it from its run-of-the-mill counterpart.[129] The GLI, as well as the Jetta TDI, are the only two trims to receive Volkswagen's 6-speed manual transmission as well as the optional 6-speed DSG gearbox.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:28 PM

270 posts, read 273,927 times
I'll gladly take an unmodified 2013 TDI.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:02 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,246,724 times
After the VW buyback, there is still going to be a demand for VW TDIs and a very limited supply. If I had the cash, I'd buy several Mk6 or Mk7 TDIs, though I prefer the Golf. Or maybe a Passat TDI for the spacious cabin. But I will have to be satisfied with the two older TDIs I already have.

VW only sold TDIs for half of 2006, then not at all in 2007 or 2008. Resale values of every TDI held steady or even increased during this period, and did not really dip until about 2011 or so, when some used 2009s became available.

So while VWoA is making a very generous offer for the recalled TDIs, if you live in a state without smog testing then I think it makes more sense to hang on to any late-model TDIs you have, and maybe pick up another one or two. There may never be any more VW diesels sold in the USA, but demand for them will continue for another 15 or 20 years. Heck, there are still people buying Rabbit diesels from the 1970s, or buying non-running gas-engine Rabbits and retrofitting diesel engines into them.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:19 PM

11,339 posts, read 16,691,416 times
As a former Jetta TDI owner....run as fast as you can away from them.

Those who say buy, have no idea of the HPFP situation and the cost associated with them.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:30 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,246,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
As a former Jetta TDI owner....run as fast as you can away from them.

Those who say buy, have no idea of the HPFP situation and the cost associated with them.
Shouldn't every TDI subject to this problem already have it corrected? What I mean is, if they had one of the defective units, it would have failed at least a few years ago.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:43 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,493,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Unless I stick with a sport coupe I'm looking into the Jetta GLI trim line...probably between a 2012-2014. From the research that I have done it has the 2.0 TSI turbo and a little bit higher quality interior I think. I'm not real sure what changed in 2016 either I don't buy that new.

From wiki:

Jetta GLI
The Jetta GLI, a sedan version of the Golf GTI based on the new Jetta, was revealed at the 2011 Chicago Auto Show with the 2.0 TSI 210 hp engine and a fully independent suspension, as well as the European Jetta's soft touch materials. A black honeycomb grill, aggressive lower intakes, side adorning foglights, smoked taillights, dual tailpipes, red painted calipers, and red stitching are all elements to separate it from its run-of-the-mill counterpart.[129] The GLI, as well as the Jetta TDI, are the only two trims to receive Volkswagen's 6-speed manual transmission as well as the optional 6-speed DSG gearbox.
I own a 2012 GLI, that was the first run of the new MKVI models. As of 2013.5 they started offering LED taillamps, LED DRL, Xenon headlamps. The heads and tails were slightly redesigned for this and it is probably the only thing I would change on my car. I have a 6MT Autobahn with 80k miles and I've added LED DRL's, a xenon kit from DEAutokey and updated to an Audi Sport short shifter. The interior is worlds better than any other model Jetta and the motor has plenty of oomph to have fun. I don't have any of the issues around carbon build up on the valves, it is all how you drive the car and I tend to drive mine somewhat hard.

I also disconnected the sound Aktor which is a puck under the windshield cowl that produces a fake engine sound inside the car. It literally made the car sound like a WRX and made it hard to judge actual engine speed without looking down. I enjoy the whistle of the turbo much more.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:28 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
I own a 2012 GLI, that was the first run of the new MKVI models. As of 2013.5 they started offering LED taillamps, LED DRL, Xenon headlamps. The heads and tails were slightly redesigned for this and it is probably the only thing I would change on my car. I have a 6MT Autobahn with 80k miles and I've added LED DRL's, a xenon kit from DEAutokey and updated to an Audi Sport short shifter. The interior is worlds better than any other model Jetta and the motor has plenty of oomph to have fun. I don't have any of the issues around carbon build up on the valves, it is all how you drive the car and I tend to drive mine somewhat hard.

I also disconnected the sound Aktor which is a puck under the windshield cowl that produces a fake engine sound inside the car. It literally made the car sound like a WRX and made it hard to judge actual engine speed without looking down. I enjoy the whistle of the turbo much more.

Nice looking Jetta!

I've always liked the CC, too bad it's not a hatch like the A7 and Panamera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen