Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 02:07 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I have been in the market for a hatchback for some time now but planning on getting something before the end of year.

VW Golf GTI is one of the runner ups, mainly focusing on two trims: Sport and SE

Which one of these later models do you own and how much did you end up paying for it (before license and taxes)?

Thanks for all the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 03:27 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
SE adds the leather, right? Comes with the b0i-xeon headlights, sunroof, keyless entry/go too correct? If what I'm seeing on the vw site for the SE trim package, it's basically my 2015 Autobahn model, plus the upgraded brakes, differential and engine HP as standard (back when mine came out, those two were known as an optional performance pack).

The leather pushes the feel further away from golf territory into Porsche territory. I love the leather. Plus, your clothes don't get all bunched up with the leather.

Mixed bag of personal preference between the manual or dsg gear box. I prefer the dsg myself, but totally up to you. GTI is one of the dying breed where you can actually get a manual gear box now, it seems. If you're a manual fan, you don't give up that much for the dsg, and gain the ability to handle stop/go traffic jams that much easier.

I'd skip the dealership upcharge on the floor mats. I have both the fabric and upcharged rubber mojo mats. If you want the rubber ones, save the money and just buy them online later. I prefer the fabric myself. BUT, would get the splash guards added. Even if you're not a fan of splash guards, look at one from the rear that has them, and one that doesn't. I think you'll like the look with them there. They square up the back a lot better, make the rear look more completed, in my opinion. But they're a PIA to install later on, so have the dealer put them on. You basically have to take the rear wheel off to install the rear ones to get the angle needed to drive the mounting hardware for them.

Man, I'm a little jealous after seeing what comes with the SE these days. The upgraded brakes are well worth it! I don't know about that differential though. I didn't get the "power pack" on mine because I really don't go fast enough around corners to need the differential (but still go plenty fast), and felt like the power deliver of the standard engine was just perfect (plus, could have the car tuned for $500 that makes them truly unruly anyway). I've heard that differential is amazing though. Professional reviewers all say to get it if you can. I've never felt at a loss without it though, but my previous two GTI's before this one didn't have that either, so really not much of a loss for me in that respect. The handling is far better than I could ever ask for any, scares me before I even attempt to scare it.

But the brakes? That I do wish I had, which now are standard. Back in 2015, to get the brakes, meant an extra $1,600 for the power pack in general. So...

Old 07-17-2017, 04:47 PM

Thanks for the detailed write-up NC211!
I agree with most anything you mentioned. The only thing I am not crazy about is the leather. I like the plaid seat covers much better. They have a more European look plus more comfy.
One of the things that turned me off about the Focus ST was the model and trim I wanted only came with leather seats and they were very uncomfy to the point where it became painful. For smaller, slender people that might be fine but for those with husky frames, it would be brutal.

I like the Sport trim because it has all the performance upgrades alone with another 10HP compared to base. What I like about the SE trim is the moon roof and better stereo/speaker set up.

I have been driving automatic transmission for the last 15 years but I grew up on stick shift. For the right car (sports car or hot hatch) manual makes more sense. I commute on a motorcycle so I am not too worried about driving a stick shift even in So Cal. I will probably drive it to work for a total of 3 weeks in a year, tops.

Main reason for me to get a compact hatch is the parking, both at work and more so at home. With this type of a car, I will be able to not only find parking easier but also will be able to use my own driveway instead of parking 100+ yards or way farther and carry the groceries home, not to mention having to move it multiple times a week due to street cleaning.

I would like to hear what people are paying for these two trims so when I am shopping around, I know what a relatively reasonable "good deal" would be.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:28 PM

Hey, I like being considered slender! Nicest thing I've heard all week! Even though I'm knocking on 210lbs door at 5"11 (I really need to lay off the kids candy drawer). I hear you on the plaid seats, all good and they're admittedly very cool!

I think you'll find more detail on what you're looking to figure out now by visiting the VW Vortex forum site now. A whole universe over there of very specifics per model type, year and options.

The sunroof is a huge plus on this car! And being in SoCal, a must have item (now I'm in your camp for the plaid seats over black leather). Many probable "R" owners driving GTI's instead due to the lack of the sunroof option on the Golf R (I'm one of them, was ready to finally bite the bullet for the R, until realizing no sunroof.)

You're spot on with the parking aspect too. Downtown DC is basically built on multilevel underground parking garages that are very tight. I'm in/out with out any issues. I love driving down Constitution Ave on a summer night when the town is quiet, roof rolled back and windows down, just listening to the silence and intoxicating subtle exhaust note of the car.

Personal preference here, but only modification on mine is unhooking the sound buzzer box that makes it sound like something that it's not in the cabin when you turn on sport mode. Car sounds perfect already. Think you'll find most disconnect it immediately. Super easy to do.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:41 AM

Thank you for the info. I am currently 238lbs and 188cm (a tad over 6'2"?) so the cabin has to be roomy and the driver seat has to be comfy.

I will have do test drive one soon for sure. Last time I checked a VW dealership, they didn't have what I was looking for and made it sound like it wouldn't exist. What it was, a Sport or SE model with plaid seats and tech package.
The sales guy said when they have the tech package in those trims they also come with leather seats.
Not sure if he was right or jerking me around but by communicating via e-mail with a few nearby VW dealers, I found a few Sport and SE trims with manual tranny and tech package but checking to see the seat material.

Either way, I haven't test the leather seats, maybe they are not like other make/models?
For example; Focus ST with leather seats was a major deal breaker for me.

I will update once I have test driven the GTI.

Cheers!

Old 07-19-2017, 02:30 PM

After seeing this video, it is almost impossible not to wait for the 2018 models!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE-DUF5eYgg&t=332s

Old 07-19-2017, 02:43 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
After seeing this video, it is almost impossible not to wait for the 2018 models!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE-DUF5eYgg&t=332s
When the new one comes out, the discounts on the old one, make them even more tempting.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:15 PM

Those aren't necessarily North American features on that one, and not entirely sure when our version of the GTI will be updated. In the past, Europe is usually a year ahead of us for revamps.

Also, wouldn't be to excited about steep discounts for the old versus the new. That hasn't been the case in a dramatic manner in the past, including from going from the MK6 to the current Mk7 (which are two totally different cars). People who love the Mk6 but weren't excited about the 7, were paying for the fact that fewer and fewer of the Mk6's were left to have.

To me, the updates in those videos, aren't necessarily ground shaking. The infotainment is a definite upgrade though, no doubt about it. But the tail lights, headlights, and so forth in the current version aren't exactly ugly or bland.

No thanks on the digital dash, not for me at all. I prefer the dial and needle myself with little lights here and there. Too much like a video game for my tastes, and good luck if it you ever have a problem with it (doubtful though).

At the end of the day, the GTI is about driving pleasure, which it has TONS of. Everything else is just bits that go along for the ride.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:51 AM

981 posts, read 898,961 times
Turco, did you make decision? i am in the same boat, would prefer 2018 but they are blosing out 2017s at our dealer and i want it now!

Old 09-27-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaucka View Post
Turco, did you make decision? i am in the same boat, would prefer 2018 but they are blosing out 2017s at our dealer and i want it now!
No. Have you?

Sadly, it is very hard to find a manual tranny new vehicle in So Cal. There are a few makes and models that typically come only with stick shift but not something I was aiming for.
I am sure I could have found a stick shift GTI if I had searched hard and long enough but I didn't.
Main reason is I am still waiting for the 2018 models to come out. I have no problem buying a 2017 because from what I have seen, most makes/models I was interested in have very little changes, if any at all.

I am waiting for the 2018 models and more so year 2018 to come simply to have better leverage towards the 2017 models.

I will get serious when Thanksgiving comes around and either end of November or end of December, I will finalize it. I am still considering a few others as reliability rumors about VW is definitely a concern for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen