Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 07:19 PM

41,816 posts, read 74,858,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Ooops! Sorry, I misread your post.
No worries. I confuse myself sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 07:29 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,983,343 times
Would probably have to go with the golf myself. I owned a 2013 golf TDI before the whole scandal happened and it was a great car. Favorite car I've ever owned. The new mazda 3's are very nice but the one thing the golf (and civic hatch- which I know you're not considering) has over the mazda 3 in my opinion is interior cabin space. I've spent time in the mazda 3 and the interior was nice but felt somewhat cramped. It seems that way in most mazda's I've driven... Granted this comes from having owned a few civics and they all felt spacious in the cabin. The golf feels closer to a civic space wise to me and I value that.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:03 PM

41,816 posts, read 74,858,647 times
Interesting perspective - I had a 94 Civic in between the two Golfs, and I thought it was terribly cramped inside (and terribly underpowered! but very good in the snow). My sister has a 11 Civic, and it doesn't seem much bigger - a friend's 15 Fit seems roomier to me. I might check out the new Civics anyway.

The new Mazda3 isn't as roomy as the one I have now - the hatch is sloped in the back, so there's less headroom in the back seat and the trunk.

Thanks for the tips! Still mulling ...

Old 08-07-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Interesting perspective - I had a 94 Civic in between the two Golfs, and I thought it was terribly cramped inside (and terribly underpowered! but very good in the snow). My sister has a 11 Civic, and it doesn't seem much bigger - a friend's 15 Fit seems roomier to me. I might check out the new Civics anyway.

The new Mazda3 isn't as roomy as the one I have now - the hatch is sloped in the back, so there's less headroom in the back seat and the trunk.

Thanks for the tips! Still mulling ...
I owned a 99 civic, wasn't super roomy but didn't feel cramped to me (more bare bones obviously). My '11 civic I felt was very roomy in the cabin and backseat (though not as much as a full size family sedan). The new mazda 3's are definitely tight in the back seat compared to the rest of the competition.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:50 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,461,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm in the market to replace my 2006 Mazda3 5-speed.

I absolutely adore my Mazda3, but have owned two Golfs, 87 and 98, both of which I also adored until the 87's suspension started to fall apart at 180,000 miles, and the 98 had substantial electrical failures at 120,000 miles. The 87 was built in Pennsylvania, and the 98 in Mexico.

When I bought the Mazda I liked it, but didn't love it - compared to the 98 Golf, it seemed flimsy and tinny and noisy, but I slowly fell in love with the Mazda's sporty handling and incredible reliability.

I had a 00 Protégé with 198K when I sold it. Drove it like I was mad at it all day everyday Never left me stranded once! It was a 5 speed. Kept on the maintenance on it never had to replace anything major on it.
Never replaced the clutch or anything else. Yes! it was a blast to drive here in the mountains wish I still had it. For me Mazda's are about close to German cars as you can get and having the Japanese reliability.

Onto the Vw I love their cars but here in the states reliability seems to be an issue fit and finish of their cars are just about perfect. Even more when you consider the price point. They also handle very well.

I wouldn't buy a Vw unless you had a damn good warranty on it. My pick would be to stick with Mazda.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:43 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,370,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Onto the Vw I love their cars but here in the states reliability seems to be an issue fit and finish of their cars are just about perfect. Even more when you consider the price point. They also handle very well.

I wouldn't buy a Vw unless you had a damn good warranty on it. My pick would be to stick with Mazda.
For every claim like the above, there are folks like me though. I've been driving a 2001 Jetta since 2004, have 300k miles on the car and it's required only Slightly more parts than my 1997 Toyota (of course, the Jetta has been driven nearly 4 times the miles of the Toyota too). The only reliability issues I've had to deal with were an alternator and electric cooling fans.

For a long time I was on a VW forum, we had a thread going that someone would bump about once a week of "xxx miles and my car's still fine!" just to offset the threads with issues. It was one of the largest/longest running threads on the forum.

A lot of the VW issues that I saw were user created. People modifying their vehicles and causing issues due to their own actions. Not all, by any stretch, but I think the whole rhetoric of VW's being problem cars is over-stated by a vocal minority. Not a brand I'd recommend to someone who doesn't do their own work (because shops absolutely caused some of the problems too), but not one to be afraid of either.

The Mazda 3 is the only modern car that appeals to me. No idea if I'd actually like it as I haven't bothered to go sit in/drive one, and I'll probably never know as there's simply no sense in giving up a perfectly reliable car with no payments for a newer and no more reliable car that requires payments.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:35 PM

1,272 posts, read 1,232,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
A lot of the VW issues that I saw were user created. People modifying their vehicles and causing issues due to their own actions. Not all, by any stretch, but I think the whole rhetoric of VW's being problem cars is over-stated by a vocal minority. Not a brand I'd recommend to someone who doesn't do their own work (because shops absolutely caused some of the problems too), but not one to be afraid of either.
Both of my Volkswagens are 2003 models, so I really can't comment on new or late-model ones. Mine were built in Brazil, not Mexico. I strongly recommend that prospective VW owners find a good independent VW or VW/Audi shop, so they don't have to rely on the dealerships.

As for modifications, both of mine are modified -- one significantly, the other not so much. Fuel injection system, engine control software, a bigger turbo on one (and a HD clutch to handle the extra power), suspension upgrades on both. Both have been extremely reliable. Total cost of ownership for the one I've had since new has been about 22 cents/mile, which is pretty reasonable.

If I was suddenly without any car, I would almost certain get another Volkswagen, and probably another Golf (or GTI, or Golf R if I felt like spending a little more). Mainly, I suppose, because I like they way they drive -- almost anything else would feel weird.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:12 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,461,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
For every claim like the above, there are folks like me though. I've been driving a 2001 Jetta since 2004, have 300k miles on the car and it's required only Slightly more parts than my 1997 Toyota (of course, the Jetta has been driven nearly 4 times the miles of the Toyota too). The only reliability issues I've had to deal with were an alternator and electric cooling fans.

For a long time I was on a VW forum, we had a thread going that someone would bump about once a week of "xxx miles and my car's still fine!" just to offset the threads with issues. It was one of the largest/longest running threads on the forum.

Don't get me wrong I think they are great cars but I haven't see a lot of them here in the states with high mileage on them. In Europe they are every where with higher mileage on them. IMO, I think it tends to come down to the dealers shop not so much those who can wrench their own cars.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:13 PM

17,203 posts, read 12,060,872 times
They're much better about maintenance in Europe and have regular required inspections that verify things are in good working order.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:11 AM

Hey OP, I know this thread is in the VW thread section but have you considered the civic hatchback or the new hyundai elantra gt sport? They should be hitting dealerships very soon. Both also good options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen