Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 08:06 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times

Advertisements

I'm considering purchasing a 2019 Volkswagen Jetta. I have fond memories of driving another VW, this one a 1966 VW Fastback 4-speed. Learned some basic car maintenance on that vehicle and really enjoyed driving it. What are your thoughts - be honest and let me know. I don't think I can beat the value of the 2019 VW Jetta 6-speed. With the 6-year, 72,000 mile Warranty to catch the problems and classic German build, I'm excited about it. I know the Jetta isn't a performance car, but, with its 1.4L turbo 4 that puts out 147hp and 184-ft.pounds of torque, you get 30 mpg in the city and 40 mpg on the highway with this car! What's not ta like?

Mod cut: Copyrighted image.
2019 VW Jetta

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-31-2019 at 04:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 12:00 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
I can't comment on the 2019, but my daughter bought a 2014 and I drove it myself for about a year. I LOVED that little car. The turbo (which was 1.6 or 1.8 in hers) was/is FANTASTIC. She has it back now and I really miss it. I ended up getting a 2018 Camry and it it's like driving molasses. My only negative was that I wished the Jetta was a tiny bit bigger. I should have bought the Passat.

Anyway, she's had it 4 years and we've never really had a thing wrong with it. She had an idling issued last year that ended up being fixed for free by the dealer with a software update.

Old 12-13-2018, 03:04 PM

I can't comment on the 2019, but my daughter bought a 2014 and I drove it myself for about a year. I LOVED that little car. The turbo (which was 1.6 or 1.8 in hers) was/is FANTASTIC. She has it back now and I really miss it. I ended up getting a 2018 Camry and it it's like driving molasses. My only negative was that I wished the Jetta was a tiny bit bigger. I should have bought the Passat.

Anyway, she's had it 4 years and we've never really had a thing wrong with it. She had an idling issued last year that ended up being fixed for free by the dealer with a software update.

Exactly the kind of input I'm looking for. Thank you!

Old 12-13-2018, 07:05 PM

408 posts, read 430,500 times
I own a 2019 Jetta. I actually purchased a lemon though, so I'm currently working to get a buyback and replace it with a new one. But I can comment on the car itself -- it's fun to drive! I have the base model, manual transmission. It's also very sleek and eye-catching. Inside is very roomy and I love the entertainment system. One negative perhaps -- it's a surprisingly big car. Not the best for squeezing into a tiny parallel spot or something like that.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:47 PM

How well does the Android Auto (or Apple CarPlay, if that's the one you choose) work?

If you don't mind, what's wrong with your 2019 Volkswagen Jetta that would necessitate it going back to the manufacturer as a buyback?

And yes, I can tell from looking at the picture of that Platinum Metallic Grey one I posted above, that the car is large. It really is!

Old 12-18-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
How well does the Android Auto (or Apple CarPlay, if that's the one you choose) work?

If you don't mind, what's wrong with your 2019 Volkswagen Jetta that would necessitate it going back to the manufacturer as a buyback?

And yes, I can tell from looking at the picture of that Platinum Metallic Grey one I posted above, that the car is large. It really is!
It's pretty intuitive and easy to use from my perspective; it syncs up to my phone every time I start the engine and it's pretty easy to send a text (via voice command), play music, navigate, etc. I'd guess it's comparable to that in most other new cars. I have the base model too, I think the higher trims have even a slightly better system.

I'm having issues with the clutch. An odd burning sulfur smell when it's shifted in reverse or on a hill. I'm actually the second owner; I'm guessing the first owner (who put about 6,000 miles on it and owned it 1-2 months) either abused the car or dumped it because of this issue. There's a pretty good warranty though so the latter seems unlikely. But I'm working with VW to get a buyback. I think the base model comes in manual and the higher trims are automatic.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:07 AM

It's pretty intuitive and easy to use from my perspective; it syncs up to my phone every time I start the engine and it's pretty easy to send a text (via voice command), play music, navigate, etc. I'd guess it's comparable to that in most other new cars. I have the base model too, I think the higher trims have even a slightly better system.

I'm having issues with the clutch. An odd burning sulfur smell when it's shifted in reverse or on a hill. I'm actually the second owner; I'm guessing the first owner (who put about 6,000 miles on it and owned it 1-2 months) either abused the car or dumped it because of this issue. There's a pretty good warranty though so the latter seems unlikely. But I'm working with VW to get a buyback. I think the base model comes in manual and the higher trims are automatic.

Thanks for the feedback on your 2019 VW Jetta S stick shift. That's funny, it was the Jetta S with the manual transmission that I was consdering. I've gone back to the 2017 Nissan Sentra SR Turbo 6-speed stick as my desired next car to have. I have a 2011 Kia Soul 5-speed that I'm not horribly unhappy with, I just want a bit more performance and a tad better ghastly mileage that the 2017 Nissan Sentra SR Turbo provides. Plus I love the looks of the car!

2017 Nissan Sentra SR Turbo in Deep Blue Pearl paint

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-31-2019 at 04:50 PM..

Old 01-09-2019, 01:11 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

Thanks for the feedback on your 2019 VW Jetta S stick shift. That's funny, it was the Jetta S with the manual transmission that I was consdering. I've gone back to the 2017 Nissan Sentra SR Turbo 6-speed stick as my desired next car to have. I have a 2011 Kia Soul 5-speed that I'm not horribly unhappy with, I just want a bit more performance and a tad better ghastly mileage that the 2017 Nissan Sentra SR Turbo provides. Plus I love the looks of the car!

2017 Nissan Sentra SR Turbo in Deep Blue Pearl paint
I would go with the VW Jetta because it is unlikely the original clutch was bad and even if it were, it would have been replaced under warranty or replaced by VW before it was sold as a CPO.

There is also the possibility that the new (second) owner could be causing his/her current clutch problem.

Otherwise, the VW Jetta has a far superior warranty than the Nissan Sentra and is definitely is more engaging and fun to drive, and has far better performance.

Old 01-11-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
I would go with the VW Jetta because it is unlikely the original clutch was bad and even if it were, it would have been replaced under warranty or replaced by VW before it was sold as a CPO.

There is also the possibility that the new (second) owner could be causing his/her current clutch problem.

Otherwise, the VW Jetta has a far superior warranty than the Nissan Sentra and is definitely is more engaging and fun to drive, and has far better performance.
Thanks, I took it in and it was the clutch burnt up from the previous owner. We replaced it and I haven't had an issue since. I really like the Jetta. It's a fun car to drive and looks great. But the Nissan Sentra looks great too. I hope this person enjoys his car regardless!

Old 01-29-2019, 11:50 PM

2017 Nissan Sentra SR Turbo in deep blue pearl

This picture doesn't do the Deep Blue Pearl paint job justice - it looks much cooler than this. The sedan is stunning in Deep Blue Pearl. I have found one that I'm pursuing right now. The direct hunt is on!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-31-2019 at 04:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen