Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 09:44 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
I think I'm just going to dump the car. Probably sell it to carmax.

To add insult to injury because the harness connection (where the door hinge is) has already corroded so much the drivers side door electronics now no longer work (Shop manager said it's likely due to them opening up the door to try and see what the issue was). I'm taking the car back to the shop tomorrow morning to have them see if they can jerry rig it to get the door functions (power locks, mirrors, etc) to work for the time being. The guy said everything is so delicate because of the corrosion they may not be able to fix it without causing other damage so I just said do what you can. Oh well.

The shop manager said the issue with my car is a very common one he's seen over and over with VW's where the harness isn't made long enough to sustain years of use with the drivers side door opening and closing over and over again. I guess it wears out and has to be replaced over time. I've never heard of this issue but that's a good enough excuse for me to just dump the car haha.
Any rust on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 07:17 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,008,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
Any rust on it?
Just a tad in a few places, not much though surprisingly based on how old the car is.

They offered me $1000 to which I plan to take it. My thinking is I probably would only get a couple of grand for it if I did a private sale and then factor in the existing electrical issues which I would need to disclose (the driver side door power isn't working currently so that's an obvious issue) I would have to offer significantly less so it's really not worth my time to try and make a couple extra hundred bucks.

Old 12-25-2018, 12:20 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,249,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Agree with that decision. I loved my '99 Golf TDi but it developed window or lock issues three times in under two years. It had a 2/24 warranty and I got rid of it.

The old joke about German cars is lease them for three years but don't buy them.
I got lucky, I guess. I've put over 15 years on my Mk4 Golf TDI and never had a problem with the power windows or door locks. I had to fix the wiring harness to the hatch, but that was not too hard. No other electrical glitches, just a couple alternators and starters. Currently at 738k miles -- liked it so much that I bought another one, and keep checking on Craigslist for more even though I don't need more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen