Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 12:14 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times

Advertisements

I have always loved VW's. In the past I have had several 1960's and early 1970's Bugs and later in the 1970's a few VW Rabbits. I loved them all.

I am now considering a new Jetta SE with the turbocharged Diesel and a six speed manual transmission. I don't want much in extras other than a radio and a heater and air conditioner. I like to drive and I don't need a bunch of bells and whistles to distract me when driving.

Do any of you own a Jetta similar to this? What have your experiences been with this model?

I checked with the dealer and he said it will list out at around $25,000 +/- $1000 depending on options. It will qualify for the $4,500.00 (?) Clunker credit and the $1,350.00 tax credit for fuel efficiency credit.So before negotiating it looks like about $19K to take one home.

If you own one would you buy a new one?

T.I.A
GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 12:25 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
As long as you're within the warranty and like the bubbly looks!

Old 06-24-2009, 06:30 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,825,036 times
Had an 03 diesel Jetta,TDI. Really loved the car. We got 45 to 50 miles per gallon, so about 650 to 700 miles per tank.

Unfortunately about 2 months ago someone rear ended me and shoved me into the car in front of me and they have totalled the car. We are looking to purchase another once things are settled.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:40 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
I had a VW diesel "way back in the day." And while I know that the TDIs can't be straight-across compared to the old ones, I'll also say that I've never heard any bad things about the TDIs.

VW made/makes good diesels. They've been building them for years, and have a very good track record.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:39 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
I would. I would take one over a POS Prius any day.

6 speeds and a diesel would be a ton of fun.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:11 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
We looked at them last week too. Glad to hear you've had good experience with your previous VW's. I've never had one but do like the idea of a station wagon.

I had a Volvo SW turbo before and was advised to let it idle for a few minutes before shutting off in order for the oil (?) to get back up into the system. Turbo replacement can be expensive.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:37 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
You let it idle to remove heat from the turbocharger because shutting the car off prevents the circulation of oil. They also sell turbo timers that will shut the car off automatically a certain time period after the key is removed from the ignition.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:07 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Something to keep in mind is that most recent VW turbo Diesels require a specific high-spec engine lube oil that meets VW 502.00, 505.00 or 505.01, if you buy one. Also what Egg said, you need to let the engine idle for several minutes before shutting off, to let the turbo cool down. You can't let the relatively high price of this oil deter you from changing it per recommendations, Diesels in general put a lot of carbon into the oil, it just plain gets dirty and needs changing. Think about the excellent mileage and performance you are getting, all the $ you are not spending on fuel, then grin and bear it in doing the oil change, and, yeah, I'd insist on a MANN or similar filter. Needless to say I would not trust this critical maintenance to the pimple-faced kids at the local Stupid Lube...

These are apparently good cars but they do take special care, particularly in the lube oil department.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:41 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
These are apparently good cars but they do take special care, particularly in the lube oil department.
As a slight aside, that's pretty typical of diesels in general.

I lived in Minnesota for many years. I had a full-sized Olds Diesel (one of the good ones), a Cutlass Ciera Diesel and a VW Rabbit Diesel. I had great luck with ALL of them, and put TONS of miles on them, despite living in a frigid climate.

Part of having success with diesels is simply knowing how to maintain them - things like running the right oil during the winter, as well as making sure you run blended or #1 fuel during that time. Lots of people I knew got stranded in the winter, because they didn't know how to run their diesels at that time. They then proceeded to bad-mouth diesels in general, which is rather unfortunate.

Back to the OP...

Old 06-26-2009, 10:26 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
I owned and drove big rigs for many years so I am familiar with maintaining and operating Diesels. One HUGE part of maintaining a Diesel in trucks is changing fuel filters and draining Water from fuel tanks.

Do the Jettas have easily changed fuel filters and water purging fixtures?

The Turbo timer shut off mentioned by Egg sounds like a good option to have. Shutting down a turbo charged motor without a proper cool down of the motor can literally COOK oil trapped in a turbo when the motor is shut off. It may just take ONE time to permanently damage your Turbo

GL2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen