Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 05:48 PM

35 posts, read 102,619 times

Advertisements

I've started researching a new car since mine is slowing decomposing and one of the cars I read about is the Jetta Turbodiesel. Reviews seem mixed - style, fuel economy, handling are usually considered good, but its the reliability that is sometimes questioned. Has anyone here had one for a bit and if so, what are your thoughts? Others I am considering are the Camry hybrid, Civic hybrid, Mini Cooper (although may not be practical due to lack of truck space), Ford Fusion hybrid or even a regular Camry or Accord. Any comments on any of the above cars would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 06:01 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,902,279 times
Well I don't have any personal experiences with any of these vehicles, but the VW TDI was ranked best car of the year by MotorWeek (keep in mind MW is not god).

See this http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...eeks-best.html

Old 08-01-2009, 06:02 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
I would go with the Ford Fusion. All the others (except for the Civic) are known to be troublesome.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:18 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
I've heard nothing but good from TDI owners, and nothing but good about them. Plus, the Jetta is a good platform.

I'd be more inclined to buy a Jetta TDI than any hybrid. But that's just my opinion and preference.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:37 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,742,958 times
I have a 2003 Jetta TDI, been a great car. I wouldn't consider any of the listed vehicles over a TDI.

Here is a good link for everything about TDI's.....http://www.tdiclub.com/

Old 08-01-2009, 08:47 PM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
I bought a 2009 TDI almost 2 months ago and I'm pissed. Only getting 37.5MPG...LOL.

Takes about 10,000 miles to break in and someone on the TDI forum reported 63mph.

I also have a 2003 Mustang GT vert and because of the Jetta, beyond a newer Mustang, I will never by a gasser again.

The Jetta is quiet, no fumes or smoke and I love filling it up every 9-10 days. Rides great and has 263lbs of torque. Damn thing kick butt.

VW built a great car at a great price. I paid $22,837 OTD for mine with the 6speed manual. Plus you get a $1400 tax credit and able to deduct sales taxes paid for the car this year.

Check out the TDI club forum. Great people over there.

It's a big for VW.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:24 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyria View Post
I've started researching a new car since mine is slowing decomposing and one of the cars I read about is the Jetta Turbodiesel. Reviews seem mixed - style, fuel economy, handling are usually considered good, but its the reliability that is sometimes questioned. Has anyone here had one for a bit and if so, what are your thoughts? Others I am considering are the Camry hybrid, Civic hybrid, Mini Cooper (although may not be practical due to lack of truck space), Ford Fusion hybrid or even a regular Camry or Accord. Any comments on any of the above cars would be appreciated!
I have a 97 Jetta, and true to form, I've had to deal with several electrical gremlins. Otherwise it's been a solid machine.

As for the Mini Cooper not having a enough trunk space, have you checked out the Mini Clubman?

Old 08-01-2009, 10:34 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
The Volkswagens have been total junk since they started making them in Mexico. I did not know any better and almost bought a 2004 Beetle turbo S. My roommate, who is a mechanic, talked me out of it. The reviews on them are terrible, worse than any car I have ever seen. If you are going to buy one new, and trade it in before the warranty expires, you will more than likely be ok. Once they get older, say 6-10 years old, they are worthless....

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Reviews - Carsurvey.org

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Reviews - Carsurvey.org

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Reviews - Carsurvey.org

And here is a review on the 2009 Jetta. It scores well, except for reliabilty where it scores low...

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Reliability - Best Cars & Trucks - U.S. News Rankings and Reviews

And here is the 2009 reliability records for all major brands. Volkswagen scores all the way on the bottom as the second worst built car brand. The only one worse is Suzuki. Sorry guys, they are junk....

Buick, Jaguar dethrone Lexus in J.D. Power reliability study - USATODAY.com

Old 08-01-2009, 11:28 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
The reviews on them are terrible, worse than any car I have ever seen. If you are going to buy one new, and trade it in before the warranty expires, you will more than likely be ok. Once they get older, say 6-10 years old, they are worthless....
That is what I hope my cousin with her newly bought (clunker deal) 2009 TDI Jetta does.

With all of VW's nifty technology (That alone must get them a great reputation, because I heard the myths of old aircooled Beetle engines being solid for 300,000 miles as well--they aren't! I know. I owned one.), you'd think they'd figure out a timing chain, for starters. Or how to keep those rear windows on the Beetles from crapping out. Or...nevermind.

Anyway, she milked her 03 Heep Liberty well beyond the useable life of anything involving power (windows, locks, et al) and she's in for a long ride if she thinks the VW will be anywhere near as cheap to deal with. VW is bleeding financially in the NA market for a reason.

Oh, I'm no fan of sideways engines, but I'd have to try to Fusion if pushed to it.

Last edited by AlfredB1979; 08-01-2009 at 11:36 PM..

Old 08-01-2009, 11:42 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
My Volkswagen has a timing chain, so I guess I figured it out. Chains and belts each have their advantages and disadvantages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen