Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2010, 10:40 PM

4 posts, read 7,628 times

Advertisements

I am moving from NY to MD for work in Annapolis but want to live closer to DC also for family and relative purpose. How would be the commute to Annapolis - can any one also let me know about schooling and housing (for purchasing within $450K or so)? Could there be a better choice for me and my family? Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 09:12 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
I'd choose nearby Crofton in Anne Arundel County. $450,000 will get you into a SFH and a better commute to Annapolis.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:50 AM

Thank you, however, I hear different things about Ann Arundel County. But is Crofton a better area for school and safety then Bowie or Greenbelt?

I suppose the commute from VA (Northern VA) to Annapolis is really bad? I am saying that becasue I hear that Vienna or any of the area around in VA are very good area for living.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:14 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toTHEtop View Post
Thank you, however, I hear different things about Ann Arundel County. But is Crofton a better area for school and safety then Bowie or Greenbelt?

I suppose the commute from VA (Northern VA) to Annapolis is really bad? I am saying that becasue I hear that Vienna or any of the area around in VA are very good area for living.
If you move to Bowie, especially the northern part, you will be about a half-hour or less from Annapolis. I live just outside the Bowie city limits. I have found this area and the city of Bowie to be very safe. If you look for housing in the boundaries of the following elementar schools, you will be living near a well-ranked school with a good reputation: Whitehall, Tulip Grove, Heather Hills and Rockledge. Look also at www.schooldigger.com for school information. Good luck.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:42 AM

Thank you bowian, its a great link for school.

I am a little confused with the information I get really. If I say that I will be working in Annapolis and my wife will be working somewhere in Arlington area then what would be a best place to be in when I have a child of 5 years old who will start school this year or next? is there a source to find info about inside VA or DC very close to the MD border for going to Annapolis hoping that I will be going against traffic?

Old 08-02-2010, 09:13 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,411 times
Quote:

I am a little confused with the information I get really. If I say that I will be working in Annapolis and my wife will be working somewhere in Arlington area then what would be a best place to be in when I have a child of 5 years old who will start school this year or next? is there a source to find info about inside VA or DC very close to the MD border for going to Annapolis hoping that I will be going against traffic?
Ooops, I missed the Arlington part. Fort Washington in MD may be a better bet for your wife, but you will still have a longer commute. However, you would be against traffic for much to most of your commute. Living in MD or DC would be most beneficial to you both than VA. While DC schools have had a not-so-great reputation, there are some good ones that, last I heard. you could possibly gain entry for your child even if you live out of boundary. But check the DC forum for that information.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:46 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Ooops, I missed the Arlington part. Fort Washington in MD may be a better bet for your wife, but you will still have a longer commute. However, you would be against traffic for much to most of your commute. Living in MD or DC would be most beneficial to you both than VA. While DC schools have had a not-so-great reputation, there are some good ones that, last I heard. you could possibly gain entry for your child even if you live out of boundary. But check the DC forum for that information.

NO!!!!! Fort Washington schools are not good at all. If you want to stay in PG County and still give your wife a decent commute, but put your child in decent schools, stay in Bowie or Greenbelt. Bowie elementary schools are the best in the county and Greenbelt isn't far off. Unfortunately that is a tough call either way because your wife or you are going to have a bad commute or you would have to sacrifice your child's school. Given the commute and schooling, those two places are your best bet.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:00 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,304,209 times
Default Similar move

Quote:

I would also look at this discussion board. It is from this same site. It looks as if someone is making a similar move as your family! As per that discussion board I would still recommend Mitchellville/Woodmore.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:42 AM

Thank you all: however,
1. if I wanted to live in Annapolis and commute to VA (Arlington) is there any train/bus system that is conveninet?
2. What is a "very good" area in Annapolis to live and buy a house (probably using a 500K or something like that?)
3. Would that be a good idea for children's schooling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland