U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 08:24 AM

96 posts, read 323,871 times

Advertisements

Well it looks like to get what i want in a house i have to move waaaaaaaaay out there. grrrr

so i looked at houses in the 200k-299k range a few weeks ago and ive come to the conclusion on why they are priced so low. people cant take care of their houses or sabotaged the house so no one wants it. there was one house where in a bedroom theres this huge orange stain in the middle of the carpet and a hand print. it looked like someone literally spilled their guts their and held themselves up by touching the carpet. the basement was moldy and there was a live baby frog hopping around. how did it get in?!?!?!?!

so yeah, these houses where i see them being 300k-400k are in the mid to high 200k because they look like crap. most of it cosmetic, a lot of it just plain damage. if we had savings to spend on repairs we would go for it, but we dont and are looking to use a va loan with $0 money down. my realtor spoke of a fha renovation loan, but im assuming money down is required. we are looking to buy a house that will pass va inspection, zero money down, and at the max 300k for now.

one house i really liked had problems. mostly cosmetic but the big ones are its backed to the huge power lines that run through maryland. im not worried about it but if something happens and we need to sell im wary that potential buyers would be scared of it. the basement isnt finished. more costs down the line. the front door wood trim is rotted out. and its not just that house. i saw 3 other doors where the wood trim around the door is rotted out. i also saw 5 houses with warped vinyl siding. id get the place but i dont trust the quality of craftsmanship that went into building the subdivison. more than one house seem to have an exterior defect and these homes were build 1999!!! id expect that 20-30yrs down the line but 10? lord knows what else will happen to the home as the years go buy and i dont want to buy a lemon. if anyone has any info about that subdivision or where i can find some please let me know. its in upper marlboro and its the presidential subdivision right off white house road near the beltway.

are there any subdivisions that anyone knows of in the areas of clinton rosaryville and upper marlboro that has some good craftsmanship with the building and is overall a good neighborhood??? i want to say price doesnt matter, but realistically i probably wont be affording in 500k homes anytime soon. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 08:04 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,734,235 times
Yes, those areas are farther out, especially Rosaryville. But they are worth it if you don't have a need to be closer to DC.

I used to live in Rosaryville, and I liked the trees and semi-rural feel. I generally enjoyed living in the area. One of the bigger subdivisions out there is Hollaway Estates, off Rosaryville Road, a mix of older and newer homes. Some may sell in the 200s and 300s. The only problem I encountered is that many of the parents where did not or could not control their teens, and some were out of control crime-wise (fighting, thefts and the occsasional robbery or break-ins). Overall, the neighborhood was quiet and walkable with many nice people who took pride in keeping up their property. There are a couple of subdivisions right outside the boundary of Hollaway Estates that have nice homes -- many older, some newer -- although they may be pricier. Right next to Rosaryville is Cheltenham, which may have what you are seeking.

In Upper Marlboro, there is a subdivision on Perrywood Rd. off of Woodyard Road that I liked a lot. I forgot the name, but the homes were nice and well-kept last time I checked. There are some nice-looking subdivisions of older and newer homes off Route 202 in Largo/Upper Marlboro that are nice. I think one road is called Brock Hall, and I know that residents there take care of their properties and value quiet, peaceful living. Google these areas if you are interested. These are areas that I checked out myself some years back. I know a couple that used to live in a subdivision off Route 202 and greatly enjoyed it. Some of the subdivisions are tucked off the road and therefore are off the beaten path. But they are worth seeking out.

Near Rosaryville is Marlton, a large subdivision with a mix of older and newer homes. I've heard some good things about it.

Clinton has a similar feel to the more rural Upper Marlboro (start with homes off of Woodyard Road and Surratts Road).

Good luck.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:03 PM

bowian i forgot to tell you thanks. Yeah i started driving around and i was getting that same feeling that i should stick to the areas you mentioned. there have been a few houses in the areas you mentioned that slipped through my fingers. hopefully i can snag one eventually.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:21 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,217,401 times
I can relate so much to the experience you had with looking at these houses. Some of these houses are just straight up embarrassing. When we were looking for a home in took my wife and I about 4 months to find a place in PG. We went to houses that had mold all in them, burns in the kitchen walls and ceiling, and stains in the carpet. It can be a bit discouraging, I'm sure and very time consuming, but I'm sure you will find something. Best of luck.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:57 AM

512 posts, read 1,398,742 times
Well I'm just fresh off of home search 2010. I've looked in the area suggested by bowian. My wife went on a lot of the home search. We wanted to stay under 300,000. Well we had to put out a little more money and we are about to close hopefully tomorrow on a home for 325K in Brock Hill. Very nice community off of 202 Largo Road. That's considered Upper Marlboro. Perrywood and Collington Station also off of Watkins Park Drive or 193. Normally houses in Brandywine, Clinton, Fort Washington and Accokeek have cheaper homes, but the ones in Upper Marlboro on up you have to put out a little more change to stay in thoses areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I can relate so much to the experience you had with looking at these houses. Some of these houses are just straight up embarrassing. When we were looking for a home in took my wife and I about 4 months to find a place in PG. We went to houses that had mold all in them, burns in the kitchen walls and ceiling, and stains in the carpet. It can be a bit discouraging, I'm sure and very time consuming, but I'm sure you will find something. Best of luck.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:11 AM

well fortunately me and bowian are on the same page. ive been looking up and down woodyard road and rosaryville road for housing. sometimes crain hightway. and i found houses i love but are too high. low and behold one house that was out of my price range just dropped just below my price range. ive got my agent writing up the deal as we speak. we saw the house yesterday and it was awesome. downside of it? no vaulted or high ceilings in the master bedroom, single sink in the master bath, no skylights. i dont think this will be our home home as id prefer a house on 2-3 acres of land with lots of trees for privacy. i did find one house that was like that but i couldnt offer full price because i was afraid it would appraise for that amount and then id be up s**t creek for mortgage payments i couldnt afford.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post
Well I'm just fresh off of home search 2010. I've looked in the area suggested by bowian. My wife went on a lot of the home search. We wanted to stay under 300,000. Well we had to put out a little more money and we are about to close hopefully tomorrow on a home for 325K in Brock Hill. Very nice community off of 202 Largo Road. That's considered Upper Marlboro. Perrywood and Collington Station also off of Watkins Park Drive or 193. Normally houses in Brandywine, Clinton, Fort Washington and Accokeek have cheaper homes, but the ones in Upper Marlboro on up you have to put out a little more change to stay in thoses areas.
Congratulations!

Old 12-07-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadedea Jade View Post
well fortunately me and bowian are on the same page. ive been looking up and down woodyard road and rosaryville road for housing. sometimes crain hightway. and i found houses i love but are too high. low and behold one house that was out of my price range just dropped just below my price range. ive got my agent writing up the deal as we speak. we saw the house yesterday and it was awesome. downside of it? no vaulted or high ceilings in the master bedroom, single sink in the master bath, no skylights. i dont think this will be our home home as id prefer a house on 2-3 acres of land with lots of trees for privacy. i did find one house that was like that but i couldnt offer full price because i was afraid it would appraise for that amount and then id be up s**t creek for mortgage payments i couldnt afford.
Have you tried any of the houses off of Old Marlboro Pike? There's one house my wife and I put a bid on last year that was just tore up but it had tons of potential. Unfortunately the seller decided to go with an investor (surprise!), but they completely remodeled the whole house (it is beautiful) and put it back on the market and it is currently on the market. There are some other nice homes over there too. There's not a lot of homes on 2-3 acres of land, but there are nice homes that have been kept up and are reasonably priced.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post
Good choice! I think you'll be happy there. We were about to buy one of the newer houses there several years ago, but we backed out only because the builder was trying to nickel and dime us. Good luck tomorrow.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadedea Jade View Post
Did you see if anything was available on William Beanes Road? There is a road or two off of Old Crain (between Old Crain and 301) that has houses like you describe. The ones on William Beanes Road are my favorites -- older but pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland