Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2010, 05:00 PM

34 posts, read 72,561 times

Advertisements

I've been wanting to relocate to the west coast, likely San Diego area where it's usually 70 and sunny but the timing was always just not quite right. I am at a point in my life where I feel like it's now or never as I'm not getting any younger! Here's the problem, I am a single woman with 2 cats and not a heck of a lot of money so I'm thinking a cross-country drive - and wouldn't it be nice to have another person(s) (woman?) to share the driving and expenses...so having some experience with this website, thought I'd see if there might be others in Maryland interested in making this journey, maybe others who have also wanted to relocate but haven't for whatever reason and are still wanting to. Maybe just to open a thread with the idea and see what happens. I'd be very happy to hear all your thoughts on this - thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 06:17 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Nope, not California. The west coast just isn't my cup of tea. Now New York City is a different story.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:41 AM

512 posts, read 1,635,965 times
Question. Why San Diego? I can understand why you would like to relocate, but what made you come up with San Diego?

Old 08-09-2010, 10:12 AM

239 posts, read 723,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perseuspowers View Post
I've been wanting to relocate to the west coast, likely San Diego area where it's usually 70 and sunny but the timing was always just not quite right. I am at a point in my life where I feel like it's now or never as I'm not getting any younger! Here's the problem, I am a single woman with 2 cats and not a heck of a lot of money so I'm thinking a cross-country drive - and wouldn't it be nice to have another person(s) (woman?) to share the driving and expenses...so having some experience with this website, thought I'd see if there might be others in Maryland interested in making this journey, maybe others who have also wanted to relocate but haven't for whatever reason and are still wanting to. Maybe just to open a thread with the idea and see what happens. I'd be very happy to hear all your thoughts on this - thanks!!
I completely understand the lure of San Diego. It is a great city and the weather definitely beats that of Maryland; unfortunately it is also very expensive and the job market is pretty poor... The state of California is in dire straits and the unemployment rate is much higher than in Maryland. I wouldn't recommend moving there unless you had researched the job market thouroughly beforehand (for your particular skills/qualifications) and/or had a job offer. If you don't depend on income from a job, I would recommend you became very familiar with housing options and prices. Good luck with your plans.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:47 PM

471 posts, read 1,830,120 times
perseuspowers I too am in the process of making that transition. I chose San Diego because I like Southern California but I love San Diego. The traffic isn't as bad as LA and Orange County and the jobs pay more. If you don't mind commuting, you can work in San Diego and live in the more affordable suburban areas which is what we will be doing. Yes California is in trouble, but people still live there and survive living there and are happy. I wouldn't come without a job. Me, I hopped on the "job transfer train" with my employer. I too am from Southern Maryland and it is just a different atmosphere. I have lived in NJ and worked in NY and have spent summers in the Carolina's that I just wanted something different that wasn't on the east coast. What made it easier for me is that alot of my family is relocating to other states. I considered the drive but that's just too long. I decided to ship the car and sell everything else. Other small incidentals will get shipped FedEx.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:23 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,687,308 times
Hey, go for it RoadTripGurl! SoCal’s weather, despite the all too prevalent bashing I see on C-D, is very nice. You will especially appreciate it when the cold NE winters begin.
As long as you have a decent paying job waiting, then what’s to stop you? I moved here from the NE, and my overall experience has been very positive. Luv the scenery, proximity to the ocean, year-round flowers, moderate temperatures (there are occasional extremes such as temps in the high 90’s for the past few days here in near-coastal parts of South Orange County) and low humidity.
It’s also nice to be able to walk, basking in the winter warmth, while viewing the snow-covered mountains in the distance.
The major difference that I detect here is what I call “in-your-face-nastiness.” It seems to be more acceptable in SoCal than in either the Midwest or the NE. A few bad apples can make for an occasional uncomfortable experience.
On the other hand, I walk a great deal with my dogs and I also notice that, generally, people here in SoCal are more willing than are NYCers to smile, say “hello,” or strike-up a conversation about my pets or the weather.
Traffic can be a bear if you have long commutes. The freeways are always jammed during rush hour. Count yourself lucky if you have a “reverse commute.” Other than the self-employed, some here do flex-time and work 35-40 hours/4 days a week. Others manage by telecommuting for a few days a week. Still others must hit the road every workday.
Good luck!

Old 09-09-2010, 07:31 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripGurl View Post
I chose San Diego because I like Southern California but I love San Diego. The traffic isn't as bad as LA and Orange County and the jobs pay more.
Actually jobs pay much worse in San Diego. I went out there after doing temp jobs in NYC for $25/hour...I ended up doing temp jobs in SD for $10/hour.

I lasted about two months, and then moved on from San Diego. It is a great place, but the jobs there won't pay for their cost of living.

Also, I distinctly recall many conversations with LA people who said they also liked SD, but what kept them in LA is that to do the same job they had in LA in SD would mean a bigtime cut in pay.

I hope SD works out for you, nontheless.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,208 times
No offense to roadtripgurl, but she has no idea what she is talking about with jobs paying more in SD. It is the complete opposite. Most jobs pay egregriously low compared to the cost of living there. The demand for good jobs far outweighs the supply, and employers take advantage of this. When you say you don't have "a heckuva lot of money," it makes me think that you have no idea what you are getting yourself into. I lived and was employed in San Diego from 2005-2008. I had a modest apartment there. It is beautiful, but not fully enjoyed unless you either already have alot of money, or come from a wealthy family who will supplement your lifestyle there. Why? For one it is very expensive. Two, most places that are expensive have alot of jobs- Washington, DC, New York City, San Francisco. That isn't the case in San Diego at all. Three, as stated above, employers don't care about the cost of living, so the wage scale is extremely low for a city that expensive. This added to the fact that the city's economy is largely based on hospitality and tourism, and let's face it, you don't make real good money in that business unless you own the hotel or restaraunt. I would not recommend just hopping in your car and taking a trip, without first devising a serious plan, and having several decent jobs lined up. San Diego is NOT a place you just move to on a whim.

Last edited by davesnice; 09-19-2010 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: add more info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland