U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-06-2010, 04:44 PM
 
101 posts, read 402,251 times
Reputation: 58

Advertisements

We're moving for a job in DC with a big family. I'm looking for somewhat outlying suburbs so we can have some space with a reasonable cost.

So right now I'm looking in the North Potomac area, neighborhoods on the west end of Germantown and Gaithersburg and other more rural areas in that general vicinity. I'm also looking outside Manassas, VA, but MD seems more family friendly (ie more to do for young kids).

Any of these choices would have me an hour train ride away. Is the MARC train reliable enough for a daily commute into DC? am I more likely to get a seat than on the metro? Is there wifi?

I've looked at their website, and schedule and cost information is readily available, but no answers to those questions.

I appreciate any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-11-2010, 10:31 AM
 
809 posts, read 1,564,959 times
Reputation: 328
Speaking of the MARC, how early does the parking garage fill up at Gaithersburg? Is one safe anytime before 8? Same for Grovesnor, Twinbrook and Shady Grove Metro stations.

I'll be commuting from Old Towne Gaithersburg to DC. As I'm going to school, sometimes I wont' leave DC until 9 pm, on nonschool days I'll be out by 6 pm though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2010, 11:29 AM
 
4 posts, read 7,723 times
Reputation: 10
I personally prefer the Marc train over the Metro. The Marc does not run as often as the Metro trains do, but you are more likely to find a seat and it can sometimes be cheaper (depending where you commute from). There is also a quiet train on the Marc, so if you don't want any noise, you can go to that train. I stopped riding the Metro to commute into work because of the noisy/rude people. If you suffer from motion sickness, it may not be a good idea to take the Metro. I am unsure if the Marc trains run after 9.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2010, 12:36 PM
 
789 posts, read 2,232,851 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchica83 View Post
I personally prefer the Marc train over the Metro. The Marc does not run as often as the Metro trains do, but you are more likely to find a seat and it can sometimes be cheaper (depending where you commute from). There is also a quiet train on the Marc, so if you don't want any noise, you can go to that train. I stopped riding the Metro to commute into work because of the noisy/rude people. If you suffer from motion sickness, it may not be a good idea to take the Metro. I am unsure if the Marc trains run after 9.
More professional folks ride the Marc. Laptops and PDAs are about with comfortable, luxury seating. Lots of suits! No kids with talking at the top of their voice trying to sound important. No problem with parking at Gaithersburg givent the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2010, 12:40 PM
 
Location: york, PA
28 posts, read 33,668 times
Reputation: 12
Just an outsider opinion from me--

I do not ride MARC, however my husband is a MARC engineer. Their engineers are very dedicated to being on time by the minute. It's a very difficult job and they work really hard to be on time. Unfortuntely-- mother nature gets in the way, such as down trees and car accidents which slow it down. Not often, but it does happen. Be nice and hug an engineer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2010, 01:21 PM
 
101 posts, read 402,251 times
Reputation: 58
Thanks folks. I appreciate the engineers and I'm sure there is pressure to keep on time.

I looked up the 2009 annual report from the Maryland Transit system and they show a 91% on time record for 2007 and 89% on time for 2008, both for the Brunswick line. From the discussion here it sounds like when they're late it's usually not too long with some exceptions.

I'm one of those suit wearing professionals (at least I will be once I move there and stop working from home in my pajamas!), so I guess I'll fit in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2010, 01:38 PM
 
789 posts, read 2,232,851 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by old bird View Post
Thanks folks. I appreciate the engineers and I'm sure there is pressure to keep on time.

I looked up the 2009 annual report from the Maryland Transit system and they show a 91% on time record for 2007 and 89% on time for 2008, both for the Brunswick line. From the discussion here it sounds like when they're late it's usually not too long with some exceptions.

I'm one of those suit wearing professionals (at least I will be once I move there and stop working from home in my pajamas!), so I guess I'll fit in.
lol..I stopped being a suit in 1996. And yes, MD has a lot to offer for kids. How old r the children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2010, 03:20 PM
 
101 posts, read 402,251 times
Reputation: 58
Don't cringe please - I have two sets of twins, boys are 4 and girls are 2. My wife will be staying home with them until they are all in kindergarten, so there needs to be a lot of parks and/or childrens' museums to keep them occupied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2010, 03:29 PM
 
789 posts, read 2,232,851 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by old bird View Post
Don't cringe please - I have two sets of twins, boys are 4 and girls are 2. My wife will be staying home with them until they are all in kindergarten, so there needs to be a lot of parks and/or childrens' museums to keep them occupied.
You shall be busy!

Since they're so young, and school is not an immediate decision, I would say move to MD, rent and get to know the area, then decided on where you want to settle before you buy.

MD, especially upper county Montgomery County has a lot of parks. Museums are plentiful in downtown DC.

Good luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top