Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2010, 04:29 PM

342 posts, read 798,296 times

Advertisements

My wife will be working at the NIH campus in Rockville. We will be moving from Northeast Pennsylvania (she will rent for a little while).

My question to all people who live in the DC metro/suburb area is this.
I want her commute to be less then 40 minutes. What areas around Rockville should we be looking at to move after we have rented? $325000 or so budget for a house/townhouse, nice area, 2 small kids (4 and 1)
Please help....thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 10:13 PM

150 posts, read 595,856 times
when you say NIH campus in Rockville do you mean a secondary campus, or are you confusing the location of the main campus (in Bethesda)?

What's your rent budget? for 325K I would suggest looking around Twinbrook, Aspen Hill, Forest Glen or Kensington

Old 08-14-2010, 06:35 PM

its the cancer center secondary campus in rockville, when she rents we want it to be as cheap as possible, she willl probably be there 3-5 months without us, appox how far are twinbrook, aspen hill, forest glen and kensington???? are they nice suburbs, working class people? any ammenities?
thanks

Old 08-14-2010, 07:08 PM

8 posts, read 27,644 times
In your price range and with your desire for a relatively short commute, I'd stick with Rockville. I work very close to the NCI ofices in Rockville, and traffic is pretty heavy so you are somewhat limited if you don't want to commute more than half an hour. I recently bought a house in Twinbrook in your price range. Twinbrook is a neighborhood in Rockville, less than 2 miles north of NCI offices in Rockville. The commute varies from 10-20 minutes depending on traffic. Twinbrook also has some very cheap apartments (Halpine View and Rockcreek Terrace) that your wife may consider. The neighborhood is very mixed - everything from government scientists and IT professionals to mechanics and housekeepers. The neighborhood is relatively safe and quiet and is right off Rockville Pike and close to the Metro, so everything is close by. There is a strong sense of community, a fairly inexpensive private community pool, and plenty of parks and playgrounds. I also like Kensington, but be aware that Kensington varies tremendously by neighborhood, and I'm not so sure about the high school's reputation. Traffic can also get pretty snarled on Connecticut - I used to live out that way and it sometimes took me 45 minutes to get home from work. Your other option would be an inexpensive townhouse in North Bethesda, Potomac, or Bethesda. Good luck!

Old 08-14-2010, 07:41 PM

beth thanks so much
just spoke to my wife and she said as long as her commute is under one hour then she would be ok, does that stretch our dollar any further?? is northern virginia any cheaper? what about up past germantown and those areas, would that make it more then an hour commute?

Old 08-14-2010, 08:24 PM

NOVA is no cheaper in general, I would not move there, same goes for Germantown. they are building new condos literally across the street (Twinbrook prkw.) from the NCI Rockville building, which will be finished in a few months, you should look into those New Rockville Apartments | The Alaire | Twinbrook Station | Rockville MD Apartments. Also the residential zone extending out from there is all in your price range.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:38 PM

8 posts, read 27,644 times
You're welcome. Nova wouldn't be any cheaper. If you want cheaper, you need to go north. You could get a larger house in Gaithersburg, but you need to check out the neighborhood carefully (Quince Orchard school district would be best). Lots of folks at work live in Frederick for cheaper housing, which is about an hour away, but I personally would never do that commute (my guess is with a little rain the commute will easily exceed 1 hour). You could also consider Damascus or Poolesville if you are looking for something a bit less hectic than the Rockville area. I also second the Alaire for apartment living. It is not "as cheap as possible" but they are very nice, currently leasing, and reasonably priced.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:26 PM

well i truly thank everyone for their input, the more and more we look into it the more we see that we are not going to have the same lifestyle we are accustomed to here in pa, but maybe thats a good thing...do alot of the townhomes in the area reside in communities with golf, pool, parks, playgrounds etc?

Old 08-19-2010, 10:15 PM

A lot do have pools and playgrounds, parks are typically county run. There are several golf courses in MoCo, most however are private clubs, though some like Redgate in Rockville are public.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:20 PM

688 posts, read 1,246,807 times
We are looking at the same area- wondering how this has worked out for you~we are looking for a 45 min commute and monthly rent under $1500 for a 1 bedroom(just two of us)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland