Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 04:44 PM

342 posts, read 798,296 times

Advertisements

Wife is going to work in Rockville at NIH cancer center campus. We've seen some real nice houses around $300.000, which is our main price point. Any ideas on the area. We have a friend who lives 5 minutes from there and says that is a nice area. Some newer homes mixed with older established homes and new shopping. How are schools and convenience to ammenities there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 08:23 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,219,968 times
Bowie is a great area..you won't have any complaints....close to the beltway and 295 as well...

Old 08-17-2010, 07:37 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padad1 View Post
Wife is going to work in Rockville at NIH cancer center campus. We've seen some real nice houses around $300.000, which is our main price point. Any ideas on the area. We have a friend who lives 5 minutes from there and says that is a nice area. Some newer homes mixed with older established homes and new shopping. How are schools and convenience to ammenities there?
Pros:

It is overall a nice area.

Easily the nicest part of Prince George's County.

The schools in Bowie are good as well, particularly the elementary schools which usually include the highest ranks in the county.

The Bowie Town Center is also a nice place for shopping and Bowie also has other shopping centers around town.

They are also building a new Town Hall.

Bowie has its own Police Department.

Has nice parks.

Very diverse. One of the few towns in the county that is not predominantly one race. Has a good mix of different races.

It has a lot of major roads that run through Bowie like MD-704, MD-450, MD-193, US-301, US-50, and MD-197, so it is easier to get around. It is also close to Annapolis, which can take you to the Eastern Shore), Laurel (nice alternative to Bowie), and Upper Marlboro (County Government Buildings).

Cons:

Taxes are generally higher than the rest of the county (but it was just announced that the tax assessments dropped by a third for the Bowie area, so taxes should be a lot lower than before).

Newer homes have lost a lot of value in recent years (which may be a good thing) due to high foreclosure rates.

Hospital in town is only open until midnight so you would probably have travel to either Laurel or Annapolis in the event of an emergency.

Tends to be some high crime areas off of MD 450 which comes on the same road that leads directly to rougher areas like Glenarden and Seat Pleasant.

Oh and by the way if your wife is going to work at NIH and you all move to Bowie, it would be better for her to catch the Metro at New Carrollton. The commute around I-495 from there is HORRIBLE!!!! Take my word for it. The Metro would help avoid a lot of stress for her.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:22 AM

meatkins, thanks so much for all the info you posted, this is definatly one of the areas we are looking at, i am teaching with a very steady job in PA so i am applying now, hopefully something works out and we can both have under one hour commutes with affordable housing 300000 or so

Old 08-17-2010, 03:39 PM

265 posts, read 1,063,309 times
I don't agree that the Metro from New Carrollton to Rockville will avoid a lot of stress. Can be crammed (might have to stand, although at least at NC you get on at the first Orange Line station), people yakking away on their cell phones, etc., then you have to change lines in crowded, yukky Metro Center... and hope that no line is delayed that day because of an accident or ongoing renovations... and is your wife's office close to the Metro? Approximately where is it? Use the WMATA trip planner to get an approximate idea.
Hopefully someone who has done this commute can comment. The earlier work hours (early start, early depart) she can get, the better.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuneful View Post
I don't agree that the Metro from New Carrollton to Rockville will avoid a lot of stress. Can be crammed (might have to stand, although at least at NC you get on at the first Orange Line station), people yakking away on their cell phones, etc., then you have to change lines in crowded, yukky Metro Center... and hope that no line is delayed that day because of an accident or ongoing renovations... and is your wife's office close to the Metro? Approximately where is it? Use the WMATA trip planner to get an approximate idea.
Hopefully someone who has done this commute can comment. The earlier work hours (early start, early depart) she can get, the better.
I certainly understand how bad the metro can be, but I was referring more to the unpredictable nature of the traffic on I-495 from College Park to Bethesda. If you have driven on this corridor in the morning then you know it can be some of the most frustrating times of your driving life because you don't know when the back ups will begin, how much volume they have, and if they will clear up at any point. At least there is a chance of some consistency by taking the metro. If she drove she could be traffic as short as 45 minutes and as long as 2.5 hours.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:23 PM

thanks for the
heres the latest, job was offered and after one year she could move to the frederick office, i am guessing that there is more housing up there near frederick that is more affordable, how are the roads around frederick???

Old 08-19-2010, 11:28 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the orginal posters subsequent posts...

If the wife will be working at NIH (Bethesda), and after only one year may go to Frederick, even if the jobs moves to Frederick after TWO years....you don't want to be looking at Bowie. Her commute would be a nightmare...driving OR public transit.

I'd suggest looking in the northern part of Silver Spring or just north of Rockville, maybe Gaithersburg, even Germantown. At least she'd have the option of either 270 or 355. And if and when the job moves to Frederick. The commute still may not be THAT bad, because she'd be reverse commuting from most folks.

Most jobs are on that side of the metro area anyway.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:16 AM

13 posts, read 32,965 times
Are there any particular zip codes in Bowie to avoid?

Old 10-21-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melundie View Post
Are there any particular zip codes in Bowie to avoid?
My knowledge of Bowie is somewhat limited but in my research I seen a lot of crime reported in the 20715 zip code off Annapolis Road near where Old Annapolis Road and Church Road meet. There was a shooting at a banquet hall a few weeks ago over there and everytime I looked at the crime map on Washington Post, there was a high number of incidents over there. I should also mention that 20720 and 20721 have Bowie addresses, but are Mitchellville/Lake Arbor. That's a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland