Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 10:11 AM

6 posts, read 24,993 times

Advertisements

What would the commute be like every morning if I was living in Rockville, Gaithersburg, Columbia to Hagerstown everday? Any suggestions on places to live that may make the commute easier as I am not really familiar with the area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 10:37 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
If you are driving Hagerstown to Rockville in the morning, expect a long drive full of traffic. If you are doing the "reverse commute" from Rockville to Hagerstown in the AM, you will be fine. Maybe a hour point to point.

Why would you want to live in the inner D.C. burbs if you are going to work in Hagerstown? I would suggest Frederick as it is closer to H-town, cheaper, and still has enough yuppie vibe to not be the sticks.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:41 AM

Thanks for the info... I would be doing the reverse commute... driving INTO the hagerstown area everyday.

Well most of my friends are still around the DC/Bmore area, so I would want to try and stay as close to DC as I could, while still making my commute into the Hagestwon area realistic. Some areas that people recommended to me were Rockville, Columbia, Germantown.

About how far away is Frederick from DC?

Old 08-19-2010, 11:59 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
Frederick is 45 miles away from the D.C. line. Traffic down I-270 can be a pain.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:55 PM

So if i was commuting to hagerstown everyday, does anyone have any recommendations of some "in between" places to live between hagerstown and DC?

Old 08-19-2010, 01:00 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,509,633 times
Frederick. Everything else is just boring suburbs. There's at least a lot of things to do in Frederick and a nice downtown.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:05 PM

789 posts, read 2,563,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Frederick. Everything else is just boring suburbs. There's at least a lot of things to do in Frederick and a nice downtown.
Or maybe Mount Airy.....nah..boring..

Old 08-19-2010, 03:11 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,509,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
Or maybe Mount Airy.....nah..boring..
No offense to anyone. I should've chosen to my words better.

I just meant that for someone who is concerned about being too far from the city, it's a good idea to be in a small city with quite a bit to do.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:27 PM

789 posts, read 2,563,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
No offense to anyone. I should've chosen to my words better.

I just meant that for someone who is concerned about being too far from the city, it's a good idea to be in a small city with quite a bit to do.
lol..if he's truely from a big city (concrete jungle) he's in for culture shock.... Up mountains in the winter, can be interesting.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:42 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Why would you want to live in the inner D.C. burbs if you are going to work in Hagerstown? I would suggest Frederick as it is closer to H-town, cheaper, and still has enough yuppie vibe to not be the sticks.
Westsideboy is making a very logical point here. What you generally see in Maryland is a "next county up" phenomenon where most people who have been hired over just the past few years since the housing bubble don't get paid enough to comfortably live in the municipality where they work so they live in the next county up. For example, many people who recently started work in DC live in Montgomery County, those working in Montgomery County live in Frederick County, and those working in Frederick County live in Washington County.

I have no idea what kind of salary or wages you are making in Hagerstown but I don't think I have ever seen a scenario where it makes good economic sense to work in Hagerstown but live in Rockville. I have family that lives near Rockville but that is why I see them on the weekend. It is really about your housing needs and mass transit dependency but if you want to maximize your Hagerstown income (and minimize your commute) I would suggest living in Washington County or maybe even in an adjacent county in West Virginia or Pennsylvania (which a lot of people who actually work in Hagerstown do).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland