Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 06:38 AM

961 posts, read 2,025,402 times

Advertisements

No redevelopment in that seems that's the craze in the DC area. Bethesda, Rockville, Silver Spring--hell, now even Wheaton getting in have all had renovations and new downtown apartment and retail.

1. Development: I've just moved in to Gaithersburg olde towne area. Previously I'd lived in Bethesda and Silver Spring for over 15 years, so it's my first time upcounty in a sense. I'm surprised by how "old" it is. Not old in the charm sense, which I don't mind, but by the lack of Giant Supermarkets (no Giant or Safeway within 5 driving minutes? That's a first for Montgomery County), or public parks to go for a run, or just lights with a walkable area to relax or to go grab a cup of coffee on a winter evening? Seems strange. I mean I understand the charm but I wonder why it's been left behind when developers are moving in everywhere else in the country. I'm finding I have to drive to downtown Rockville or over to Rio as the closest places that are happening, and I have to do groceries in downtown rockville too.

2. Rent: Also curious IF modern new apartments/retail space construction ever happen in the future, would it mean rents in Olde Towne would instantly (i.e. within 2 years) go up 20-50% like they did in downtown silver spring when the granite top and vaulted ceiling apartments arrived or would the rise in rent be more gradual? (I understand those apartments themselves being priced at a certain point, but seemed that everybody jacked up rent even if they had no reason to and their properties hadn't changed in any way). or would it be more gradual?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 08:07 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,774,353 times
Olde Towne isn't a desirable area, so I guess so far no developers are interested. I don't pay much attention now that I don't live there anymore, though. The area has a high concentration of latinos--who knows how many legal compared to illegal--you must have noticed that already.

Regarding grocery stores, there's a Giant on Watkins Mill in Montgomery Village which shouldn't be much more than 10 minutes away from you...it's behind the Montgomery Village Shopping Center on Mont Vill Ave. Plus there's a Bloom on 355 just before Shady Grove Rd....plus another Giant on Goshen Rd. You don't need to be driving into Rockville for groceries.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:21 PM

13 posts, read 28,755 times
Crime cameras are going up soon due to the fact that all kinds of gangs roam the area.
I have lived here for 20 some years and use to walk the Old Town area after dark,but not anymore.
Sad but true.
By the way there is a Giant in the Quince Orchard shopping center at Quince Orchard & Clopper Rd,not quite walking distance and one at Crabbs Branch & Shady Grove Road.
The one in Montgomery Village will be closing very soon

Old 08-21-2010, 10:30 PM

103 posts, read 297,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imamocooriginal View Post
Crime cameras are going up soon due to the fact that all kinds of gangs roam the area.
I have lived here for 20 some years and use to walk the Old Town area after dark,but not anymore.
Sad but true.
By the way there is a Giant in the Quince Orchard shopping center at Quince Orchard & Clopper Rd,not quite walking distance and one at Crabbs Branch & Shady Grove Road.
The one in Montgomery Village will be closing very soon

gangs?
wow, I've been gone from Montgomery Village/G'Burg since '98 (having grown up there and gone to school there: Whetstone Elem, Mont Village Jr High, and G'burg High) and never heard of gangs in the area.
My folks still live there though.
It was a great place to grow up in the '70s and '80s, too bad it seems to have gone down hill since then.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:21 AM

15,425 posts, read 25,795,620 times
I think someone is overstating how bad the gang situation is in Gaithersburg.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:04 PM

961 posts, read 2,025,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imamocooriginal View Post
all kinds of gangs roam the area.
Haha, no. It is not that bad at all (Unless of course you're comparing it to Potomac or Georgetown).

If anything, Olde Towne is rather dead. Very quiet. Barely anyone in the streets after 8 pm or so. If there is a "multitude of violent gangs" they must travel to unload their guns elsewhere.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:36 PM

499 posts, read 667,716 times
It's overrun with illegal aliens so no developer wants to touch it. Same with Lakeforest/Montgomery Village.

Gaithersburg really f'ckd up taking a page from the book of Takoma Park.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:44 PM

16 posts, read 55,613 times
Besides crime...Local financing and parking regulations are depressing interests from developers. The City is trying to revise its parking ratios to match Montomery County which is also similar to Rockville. Developers recognize there is not enough land for large scale projects in Olde Towne so parking ratios must be reduced to offset land and construction costs.

Recently, demolition has started on East Diamond for the Archstone project.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:42 PM

941 posts, read 3,909,458 times
It has been on the decline since the '70s. Before illegal aliens took it over, it was dumpy. This is arguably the oldest part of Gaithersburg, so it looks kind of a dump when you see old buildings.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:45 PM

941 posts, read 3,909,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I think someone is overstating how bad the gang situation is in Gaithersburg.
I think someone is living in a bubble.

There are 300-500 known gang members in Gaithersburg alone.

There have been two shootings this month of August in the immediate area. Doesn't bode well now, does it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland