U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2010, 07:23 PM

688 posts, read 1,026,583 times

Advertisements

I'm feeling good about this move...
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 10:45 AM

15,682 posts, read 18,247,140 times
You need to come to the Stained Glass Pub next to the Glenmont metro station. It's probably the best pub in Montgomery County.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:21 PM

4,120 posts, read 3,699,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You need to come to the Stained Glass Pub next to the Glenmont metro station. It's probably the best pub in Montgomery County.
Very much so.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:18 PM

4 posts, read 10,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Been there, was great,loved it.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:31 PM

688 posts, read 1,026,583 times
Where is it???

Old 08-01-2013, 07:34 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,046,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marska View Post
Where is it???
He said next to the Glenmont Metro Station.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:39 AM

23,851 posts, read 19,164,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
You're kidding, right? Looking for nightlife in the suburbs?

Why didn't you just move to DC?
I think its a valid question. Nightlife....or even a random bar....should not require living in a city center to get a good cold beer. The poster should be able to get a beer without being surrounded by obnoxious families at the dinner table 4 feet away. MontCo is warped beyond repair. I personally believe that MontCo has seen it's peak and is now on a precipitous decline. Never in a million years would I choose to live there.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:57 AM

5,608 posts, read 6,388,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I think its a valid question. Nightlife....or even a random bar....should not require living in a city center to get a good cold beer. The poster should be able to get a beer without being surrounded by obnoxious families at the dinner table 4 feet away. MontCo is warped beyond repair. I personally believe that MontCo has seen it's peak and is now on a precipitous decline. Never in a million years would I choose to live there.
I think the type of nitelife that is missing in MoCo and other places are dancehalls or clubs where you can go dancing AND have a drink. Currently, the suburbs only provide bars to drink. I think if there were more clubs like on U Street or Adams Morgan, then that would help spice things up a bit. Looney's in College Park just applied for a dancehall license. Lookout! I guess that's the danger of having one developer fo an entire 4 blocks (DTSS). The single developer gets to have a say in what establishment moves in as opposed to a neighborhood being organically grown from various single proprietors. DTSS is very vanilla and reeks of suburban entertainment. Personally I'm glad UMD stepped away from having a single developer for East Campus and are doing it a piece at a time. Hopefully this will make it more unique.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:00 PM

270 posts, read 359,961 times
MoCo definitely needs to reconsider some of its repressive, anti-business legislation. But when the government is sure it knows what's best for the people and insists on micro-managing everything, this is what you get.

I was just reading an article in the local paper about the owner of the winery at Sugarloaf Mountain. He got together some kind of small business meeting there, to discuss what Maryland can do to encourage business growth. He tried to argue that "manufacturing really does happen in Maryland", but I think he was only able to give about 6 examples (including his own winery, of course). That's pretty sad and pathetic. Yes, Paul Reed Smith guitars are made in Maryland, but more people were probably customers of and familiar with Baretta firearns, who are just about ready to pull out of the state, thanks to the legislation here.

When things are that bad at the STATE level, MoCo adding more rules and regulations on top just discourages anything from opening up in the county that much more. And don't forget the local rules that get piled on top of THAT too!

To be honest, the *only* reason we moved to MoCo was for the schools. We've got 3 kids in grade-school, so that was a big consideration. Being one of those families that MoCo seems interested in promoting, it is nice having places like the Rockville Town Center or Kentlands where you can go out as a family and everyone has a good time. But my favorite "hole in the wall - go to bar" is still probably Tommy Joe's in downtown Bethesda. It just reminds me of the kind of non-pretentious bars I'm used to, where all types are welcome and the food is basic bar food, but pretty good.

I'd sure never risk opening a bar in MoCo though, if I was forced to prove I sold at least 50% food every month. I mean, even if you tried to do that and normally did -- what about a big holiday party crowd or New Years' Eve crowd that pushed your alcohol sales over the norm at the end of the year? You want to get PUNISHED for being successful and popular like that!?

Old 08-03-2013, 11:01 AM

2,659 posts, read 2,514,809 times
I posted this article to the forum awhile-since it is relevant to this thread I will repost it here- I agree with the article-(except for Bethesda) the county is pretty boring

Montgomery County looks to get hip - Washington Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland