U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 11:00 AM

5,560 posts, read 5,362,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
For a "liberal" place, Montgomery County is very anti alcohol. I bet they cannot wait until Hank Dietle's finally closes. It's the only bar bar in the entire county...

Plus they have a monopoly on the sale of alcohol as well, and control and severely limit the sale of beer/wine in grocery stores.

It's such a nanny state I left and moved to VA.
Fascinating. Particularly considering how rigid Virginia is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 12:11 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,987,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
For a "liberal" place, Montgomery County is very anti alcohol.
MoCo's the only county in America which runs its own liquor stores.

A century ago, temperance was part and parcel of the WASPy "progressive" political package -- right up there with women's suffrage, compulsory education, professionalization of social work, and more urban parks. I suppose nobody's right all of the time.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
MoCo's the only county in America which runs its own liquor stores.

A century ago, temperance was part and parcel of the WASPy "progressive" political package -- right up there with women's suffrage, compulsory education, professionalization of social work, and more urban parks. I suppose nobody's right all of the time.
What is the difference between what Montgomery County does and the ABC stores in Virginia?

Old 03-19-2015, 11:54 PM

396 posts, read 929,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
What is the difference between what Montgomery County does and the ABC stores in Virginia?
In Virginia grocery stores, convenience stores, private specialty stores, Costco, etc... can all sell beer, wine, cider. ABC stores sell the hard liquor. There are private beer and wine stores, but no private hard liquor stores.

In MoCo there are strict regulations and apparently only certain stores within a chain are allowed to sell beer and wine (like 1 grocery store out of a chain???). There seem to be some private liquor stores (which I don't understand at all) along with the County stores.

For me, I live in MoCo and but do most of my wine, beer and cider shopping in Virginia--prices are better, more competition, and I don't have to go to any nasty dirty old liquor stores, go to limited availability County stores, or drive across the freakin county to buy beer or organic wine at a grocery store.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnielisabeth View Post
In Virginia grocery stores, convenience stores, private specialty stores, Costco, etc... can all sell beer, wine, cider. ABC stores sell the hard liquor. There are private beer and wine stores, but no private hard liquor stores.

In MoCo there are strict regulations and apparently only certain stores within a chain are allowed to sell beer and wine (like 1 grocery store out of a chain???). There seem to be some private liquor stores (which I don't understand at all) along with the County stores.

For me, I live in MoCo and but do most of my wine, beer and cider shopping in Virginia--prices are better, more competition, and I don't have to go to any nasty dirty old liquor stores, go to limited availability County stores, or drive across the freakin county to buy beer or organic wine at a grocery store.
Interesting. As strict and ultraconservative Virginia is on some things, I wouldn't have expected them to be permissive on other things. I know in Ohio I never saw any ABC stores at all. But then they have drive through stores where you can get your fix. I'm sure someone else must have those but I haven't found out where.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:48 AM

12,553 posts, read 18,926,430 times
Quote:
Interesting. As strict and ultraconservative Virginia is on some things, I wouldn't have expected them to be permissive on other things. I know in Ohio I never saw any ABC stores at all. But then they have drive through stores where you can get your fix. I'm sure someone else must have those but I haven't found out where.
I remember a drive-through party store (where you can by beer, wine, etc...) in Michigan. No idea if it's still allowed or not.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:05 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,461,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnielisabeth View Post
That's identical to what you find in MoCo, except here a company can only have 1 alcohol license. That's why, e.g., only 1 Safeway in town can sell beer/wine. I think the law should change, but it's not like there's a dearth of private beer/wine stores in town, so its impact is minimal either way, on the consumer end. On the retail end, changing the law would force most of the privately run, small business beer/wine stores to go bankrupt, which is why the status quo has at least some level of public/political support. Few enjoy the idea of a CVS or Safeway eating up market share, forcing neighborhood businesses to close, and sucking that money out of the community/state.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:06 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,987,534 times
Quote:
ABC stores elsewhere are run by the state. Only in Maryland do counties, rather than the state, sell liquor, and MoCo is far larger than the other three "liquor control counties." (I'll spare you the political-science distinction of home rule vs. Dillon rule, and how that makes county governments in Maryland and Virginia completely different.) Imagine if MoCo ran its own lottery, for instance.

Minnesota is even more weird: cities can opt to enforce a monopoly on both on-premise and off-premise alcohol sales, so yes, several towns own their own bar. I suppose that's somewhat reminiscent of small towns in Germany, where the town hall basement is the most reliable place to find a bar.

Temperance was mostly a Protestant movement, and so historically Protestant states like Pennsylvania tend to have stricter laws than historically Catholic states like Louisiana or Wisconsin.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:57 PM

396 posts, read 929,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
That's identical to what you find in MoCo, except here a company can only have 1 alcohol license. That's why, e.g., only 1 Safeway in town can sell beer/wine. I think the law should change, but it's not like there's a dearth of private beer/wine stores in town, so its impact is minimal either way, on the consumer end. On the retail end, changing the law would force most of the privately run, small business beer/wine stores to go bankrupt, which is why the status quo has at least some level of public/political support. Few enjoy the idea of a CVS or Safeway eating up market share, forcing neighborhood businesses to close, and sucking that money out of the community/state.
Honestly I would be happy for some of the neighborhood businesses to close; some are ok, but most are nasty. The dirt. The lottery. The keno and gambling. The lack of wine, cider and beer selection. They are being artificially propped up by the County laws. It looks like a depressing movie set from the 70s in most of these places, at least in the "affordable" areas we live near. When we moved here we went into a few, said no thank you.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:08 PM

999 posts, read 1,668,397 times
Montgomery County represents a genteel kind of liberalism that promotes political progressivism while at the same time, enforcing stronger morals with regulating one's behavior. The county is populated by many "Audi/Volvo/Prius" driving liberals who think their lifestyle habits should be universal. Heavy alcohol consumption, tobacco usage, cannabis smoking, drinking sugary sodas, eating fast food meals, high-meat diets and too many sweets; these are habits that bourgeois, college educated liberals find abhorrent in other people. The answer always is "Regulate It".

Another point...

Montgomery County politicians, top county bureaucrats and law enforcement officials work together to maintain the sleepy, safe, family-oriented bedroom community environment through out the county. You want to know why there are so few nightclubs in an affluent county with a population of almost ONE million people? Ever wonder why a strip club has never opened in Montgomery County? Hell, do you even wonder why there are so few music venues in cabaret-like settings? Because the liberal Democratic leaders of the county are terrified that these places may spread gun violence, sexual assault, publicly lewd behavior, public intoxication, and attract "sketchy" characters.

It's about maintaining an image of "Pleasantville". The County welcomes young single professionals--but they REALLY covet the married couples expecting children. Married couples are willing to buy property and settle in the community for the longer term. Strip clubs, nightclubs and music joints with alcohol service don't mix well with the family-oriented community vision.

What's interesting is that Montgomery County is the exception...not the rule in this regard. If you look at PG County, The District of Columbia, Arlington County in VA and Fairfax County, VA; they have the seedy joints, the strip clubs, the booze-filled late-night spots but they also have family-oriented neighborhoods where people are happy to live in boring and safe locations.

Not in Montgomery County. One hypothetical strip club opening in Wheaton could be a THREAT to the well-being of citizens in the entire county. Teenage daughters could be raped in Bethesda. Creepers could be masturbating near playgrounds in Rockville. All because one adult entertainment club happens to be in business in the county. At least so say the MontCo elected officials and bureaucrats if someone dared to apply for a license to operate a sex club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland