U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 12:22 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,463,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Montgomery County represents a genteel kind of liberalism that promotes political progressivism while at the same time, enforcing stronger morals with regulating one's behavior. The county is populated by many "Audi/Volvo/Prius" driving liberals who think their lifestyle habits should be universal. Heavy alcohol consumption, tobacco usage, cannabis smoking, drinking sugary sodas, eating fast food meals, high-meat diets and too many sweets; these are habits that bourgeois, college educated liberals find abhorrent in other people. The answer always is "Regulate It".

Another point...

Montgomery County politicians, top county bureaucrats and law enforcement officials work together to maintain the sleepy, safe, family-oriented bedroom community environment through out the county. You want to know why there are so few nightclubs in an affluent county with a population of almost ONE million people? Ever wonder why a strip club has never opened in Montgomery County? Hell, do you even wonder why there are so few music venues in cabaret-like settings? Because the liberal Democratic leaders of the county are terrified that these places may spread gun violence, sexual assault, publicly lewd behavior, public intoxication, and attract "sketchy" characters.

It's about maintaining an image of "Pleasantville". The County welcomes young single professionals--but they REALLY covet the married couples expecting children. Married couples are willing to buy property and settle in the community for the longer term. Strip clubs, nightclubs and music joints with alcohol service don't mix well with the family-oriented community vision.

What's interesting is that Montgomery County is the exception...not the rule in this regard. If you look at PG County, The District of Columbia, Arlington County in VA and Fairfax County, VA; they have the seedy joints, the strip clubs, the booze-filled late-night spots but they also have family-oriented neighborhoods where people are happy to live in boring and safe locations.

Not in Montgomery County. One hypothetical strip club opening in Wheaton could be a THREAT to the well-being of citizens in the entire county. Teenage daughters could be raped in Bethesda. Creepers could be masturbating near playgrounds in Rockville. All because one adult entertainment club happens to be in business in the county. At least so say the MontCo elected officials and bureaucrats if someone dared to apply for a license to operate a sex club.
lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 05:43 AM

1,309 posts, read 849,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Montgomery County represents a genteel kind of liberalism that promotes political progressivism while at the same time, enforcing stronger morals with regulating one's behavior. The county is populated by many "Audi/Volvo/Prius" driving liberals who think their lifestyle habits should be universal. Heavy alcohol consumption, tobacco usage, cannabis smoking, drinking sugary sodas, eating fast food meals, high-meat diets and too many sweets; these are habits that bourgeois, college educated liberals find abhorrent in other people. The answer always is "Regulate It".

Another point...

Montgomery County politicians, top county bureaucrats and law enforcement officials work together to maintain the sleepy, safe, family-oriented bedroom community environment through out the county. You want to know why there are so few nightclubs in an affluent county with a population of almost ONE million people? Ever wonder why a strip club has never opened in Montgomery County? Hell, do you even wonder why there are so few music venues in cabaret-like settings? Because the liberal Democratic leaders of the county are terrified that these places may spread gun violence, sexual assault, publicly lewd behavior, public intoxication, and attract "sketchy" characters.

It's about maintaining an image of "Pleasantville". The County welcomes young single professionals--but they REALLY covet the married couples expecting children. Married couples are willing to buy property and settle in the community for the longer term. Strip clubs, nightclubs and music joints with alcohol service don't mix well with the family-oriented community vision.

What's interesting is that Montgomery County is the exception...not the rule in this regard. If you look at PG County, The District of Columbia, Arlington County in VA and Fairfax County, VA; they have the seedy joints, the strip clubs, the booze-filled late-night spots but they also have family-oriented neighborhoods where people are happy to live in boring and safe locations.

Not in Montgomery County. One hypothetical strip club opening in Wheaton could be a THREAT to the well-being of citizens in the entire county. Teenage daughters could be raped in Bethesda. Creepers could be masturbating near playgrounds in Rockville. All because one adult entertainment club happens to be in business in the county. At least so say the MontCo elected officials and bureaucrats if someone dared to apply for a license to operate a sex club.
Thats incredibly stupid. The so called "genteel liberals" couldn't care less about what goes on in Wheaton, they never have, its the ghetto to them. Guess you right wingers are a bit bare on legitimate excuses nowadays.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:56 AM

91 posts, read 113,967 times
Default Villain & Saint live music Bethesda

This may be a bright spot: a new bar with live music opening in Bethesda called Villain & Saint opens next week

Robert Dyer @ Bethesda Row: New Bethesda restaurant Villain & Saint sets opening night lineup

Old 04-06-2015, 02:42 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,136,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat3 View Post
This may be a bright spot: a new bar with live music opening in Bethesda called Villain & Saint opens next week

Robert Dyer @ Bethesda Row: New Bethesda restaurant Villain & Saint sets opening night lineup
There are music venues already in both Bethesda and Silver Spring, that is in the part closer to DC, the OP is about the lack of nightlife options in upper montgomery county. Most nightlife in Montgomery county are concentrated near Silver Spring or Bethesda. This is not a bad thing, it just is, and is not that unusual.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:02 PM

91 posts, read 113,967 times
Ah, got it.
I'll keep an eye out for anything up county.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:53 PM

2,655 posts, read 2,508,983 times
At downtown crown in Gaithersburg (which opened recently) there are a couple bars including old town pour house -
Old Town Pour House Opens in Gaithersburg - Bethesda Beat

Old 11-19-2015, 05:17 PM

Boosting Montgomery County Nightlife Remains a Difficult Task Two Years After Nighttime Economy Task Force Issues Recommendations - Bethesda Beat - Bethesda, MD

Old 02-13-2016, 12:42 PM

Union Jack’s to Close Bethesda Location - Bethesda Beat - Bethesda, MD

Old 02-13-2016, 09:18 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,136,625 times
The major problem has to deal with their liqueur laws. They need to deregulate and allow bars to buy directly, and let the bars not deal with buying from the county. Most anybody who is interested in opening a bar or nightclub is going to do so in DC because they don't have to deal with that BS. Everybody knows the source of the problem.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:30 AM

1,204 posts, read 262,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowellian View Post
I'm particularly referring to Gaithersburg and Rockville.

So I've just moved to the area, Washingtonian Center in fact, to be within negligible commuting distance to my new job in Gaithersburg. Overall, I'm very pleased with my neighborhood, and impressed, in general, with the surrounding area.

However, my main gripe is over the lack of nightlife here. I've been to most of the centers of activity here -- Washingtonian/Rio Center, "downtown" Kentlands, Old Towne G-Burg, Rockville Town Square -- all of which have varying degrees of good shops, restaraunts, people watching, live music, etc. But there is literally no real bar or anything (excluding Growlers) that is open til 2am. Being at the heart of the I-270 technology corridor, I know there is a whole slew of young people fresh from college and grad school finding great jobs around here (you can tell too just by reading all the new threads posted on this forum!), so it seems curious that everyone has to move out to Washington or Frederick to be around similarly aged and like-minded people looking for a decent nightlife. Unfortunetly, for those of us that have chosen to live close to work, we have to truck ourselves down to Bethesda/Northwest DC to find any action. Why is that? Is the market not there for it yet? Perhaps I'm just missing the bar hopping culture in my home city?

I AM still new to the neighborhood, so if you have any good reccomendations for me out there in the area, let me know!
If there was a market for it, someone would do it....A bunch of divorced ladies sit at Sugo and Clydes on the weekends....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland