U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:35 PM

204 posts, read 231,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah43 View Post
The problem with that area is that the mall is surrounded by section 8 housing owned by the county to house those that want to live off the taxpayers. You need to check out the MCPS map as to what percentage are on reduced meals at school and you will see. Take Clarksburg and germantown area, the numbers of those on reduced meals are high. Living in Montgomery county is not as good as they tell you. Unfortunatally, I am stuck here for 5 more yrs, but then I will say "see ya". Nothing more than a haven for those who want to live off the taxpayers, but soon there will be less taxpayers here and more living off the government. Also, there has been many high income families that have moved from Mont County just because of the high taxes and how sneaky Ike Legget (county exec) and the County Coucil are, passing through tax increases and fees for services our taxes already pay for and things like cell phones, cable, etc. Do yourself a fevor and move to Howard County if you want a good place to live. Howard runs along Montgomery County.
Fox News is really stimulating, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 09:57 PM

204 posts, read 231,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie2md View Post
Thank you to everyone here for their input regarding my move to MoCo. I made my second trip to the area to find a house and ended up in Virginia! The company I work for has decided to relocate to the Dulles, VA area. (Is this technically Northern VA?)Many of us complained about problems with the MoCo area high cost of living, rising crime, higher taxes and illegal immigration. Not that these problems are non-existent in VA, but they do not seem so prevalent. Why such differences in MoCo and Nova when the two areas are so close together? From the looks of things, VA is slightly cheaper for home prices and cost of living (I noticed the difference in gas and some grocery prices immediately).

Anyhow, thanks again to everyone!

No longer a newbie2md
I guess now you're a newbie to Virginia. Congrats!

The areas are not that different. NoVa consist of several different counties and is a much larger area than MoCo. So when thing that the MoCo has more issues than NoVa, you should understand that the MoCo is more concentrated and it's easier to hide things in NoVa. Also, in Virginia, any fool can carry a gun on his hip. Even mentally retarded people. Have fun!

Old 03-24-2011, 07:06 AM

12,606 posts, read 19,052,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatguy1982 View Post
First of all, I am a cop, and I can tell you that the Gaithersburg area is going down hill very quickly. My girlfriend lived there for almost 2 years with her grandmother in a very expensive neighborhood but surrounded by low income townhome developments. Her car window was smashed into and her GPS stolen right in front of a $500,000 home. The lake forest mall is very ethnic, and the shops there are not all that nice when compared to other malls in Tysons Corner, VA, Annapolis and Columbia Md. I go to Lakeforest to get a back massage from this place about once a month. Their is an overwhelmingly large presence of hispanic people that congregate in the food courts and play areas. Mostly young thugs but none the less. I'm hard pressed to find the ENGLISH language spoken here...but MoCo has been going that way recently. I have a good friend who is a realtor and he has lived there all of his life. He tells me that the place is experiencing a lot of downturn and crime and would not recommend many of the neighborhoods.
Clarksburg and parts of Germantown are nice still. Olney is very nice but more expensive. And if you are WHITE, you would probably feel more comfortable in Northern VA, or Frederick MD, or southern parts of MD. I'm not afraid to say that but most liberals out there will start belly aching and it seems as though so many white people are afraid to really say what's on their minds. MoCo is very liberal, and they welcome diversity with open arms. And they have a hirer crime rate and gang problem as a result. Me and my police buddies talk about it all the time. Fairfax cracks down on gang problems while MoCo is deeply in debt as far as the county is concerned and has less money to throw at these problems.
Lastly, I would recommend Frederick, only 20 miles from Germantown and the house values are sooo much cheaper and you get way more! Plus is a sense of a community and nature is abound and the schools are better.
Where's your beat? Virginia? Alabama? Mississippi? This does not sound like Gaithersburg at all. Your description of Lakeforest is off as well. This post sounds like someone who does not live here and does not know the city or the mall. Must be someone from NOVA who loves to bad mouth MD every chance you can get. Can't be a cop. A cop would know crime happens even in wealthy places.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:55 AM

4,120 posts, read 3,716,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatguy1982 View Post
First of all, I am a cop, and I can tell you that the Gaithersburg area is going down hill very quickly. My girlfriend lived there for almost 2 years with her grandmother in a very expensive neighborhood but surrounded by low income townhome developments. Her car window was smashed into and her GPS stolen right in front of a $500,000 home. The lake forest mall is very ethnic, and the shops there are not all that nice when compared to other malls in Tysons Corner, VA, Annapolis and Columbia Md. I go to Lakeforest to get a back massage from this place about once a month. Their is an overwhelmingly large presence of hispanic people that congregate in the food courts and play areas. Mostly young thugs but none the less. I'm hard pressed to find the ENGLISH language spoken here...but MoCo has been going that way recently. I have a good friend who is a realtor and he has lived there all of his life. He tells me that the place is experiencing a lot of downturn and crime and would not recommend many of the neighborhoods.
Clarksburg and parts of Germantown are nice still. Olney is very nice but more expensive. And if you are WHITE, you would probably feel more comfortable in Northern VA, or Frederick MD, or southern parts of MD. I'm not afraid to say that but most liberals out there will start belly aching and it seems as though so many white people are afraid to really say what's on their minds. MoCo is very liberal, and they welcome diversity with open arms. And they have a hirer crime rate and gang problem as a result. Me and my police buddies talk about it all the time. Fairfax cracks down on gang problems while MoCo is deeply in debt as far as the county is concerned and has less money to throw at these problems.
Lastly, I would recommend Frederick, only 20 miles from Germantown and the house values are sooo much cheaper and you get way more! Plus is a sense of a community and nature is abound and the schools are better.
Oh boy here we go again. It would best serve you to stop making blanket statements about areas. Most of the stores in Lake Forest are found in all the other malls that you mentioned as well. Hard Pressed to find the English language spoken there? Yeah. Sure. That's a good one. There's still more White people in that area than any other race. Sheesh. So basically you are trying to say diversity is a bad thing. Thanks. I seriously hope that you are not a cop patrolling the streets that I live on. Anyone can see your bias a mile away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland