U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 11:23 AM

5,660 posts, read 6,438,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
If PG was "just a suburb" then I guess it wouldnt rankle as much...but this is supposed to be the most affluent black suburb in the nation...one would hope that a suburb with that title would be doing a WHOLE lot better than having the worst schools in the state, rising crime etc.

That, and being compared to three of the most wealthiest counties in the country, I think PG gets undue criticism. Like I said, visit half the other urban areas in the country. PG is not as bad as people want to think it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 11:30 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,316,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Wow. Okay. I guess some people are just spoiled by the standard of living in the DC area. Everything is subjective. For the people who think PG is just God awful, I implore you, visit some of the mid-western cities and suburbs like Cleveland, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, or in the south like Louisville, Savannah, or any number of the poor cities in the south. Even in the west in states like Arizona. Trust me, my wife and I used to watch the First 48, a crime series on A&E. You think PG is bad? lol

And hell yes I'm defending my home. No one should feel ashamed of where they live. I'm certainly not. If I live in Georgetown, should I be ashamed because crime occurs in SE - a part of D.C.? Or even Capitol Hill for that matter. Should I be ashamed to live in Bethesda because crime happens in Wheaton - a part of Montgomery County? So why would I feel ashamed of living in Adelphi because crime happens in District Heights or even Langley Park?

And let's be real, ALL counties and cities have crooked politicians. Some just haven't been caught yet. lol People hear about PG's problems and think crooked politicians is somehow a novelty. Think people were scrambling to get out of Chicago because of Blagojevich?

And the schools aren't awful. I think you offend every teacher student and parent when you say that. You should read the article in the other thread about the study done concerning rich kids performing badly. If ONE kid per classroom goes to college, you can't really blame the schools. Blame falls on the parents, community, and school. We are all responsible.

Go to Detroit, Cleveland, Anderson, IN (personal experience), Philly, Trenton, NJ, or even D.C. You'll see what awful an awful school is. Lastly, I'd like to know where this statistic is that says PG schools are worst than Baltimore. The last statistic I saw concerning test scores, PG did pretty well. Better than D.C. always.

It seems to me like you would be better off living in more rural areas. There are ghettos even in Boston, Mass. You're asking an urban area to provide you with a rural country-like environment. Ain't gonna happen. You might get that in Delaware or St. Charles County. Even Fredrick, MD or Hagerstown may be a good choice. Heavily populated urban areas have always been plagued by crime and low performing schools.

People always complain about PG but I think they need to take things into perspective. There are a lot of worse places to be. I'm not saying PG is the best place to live, but it's not the worst. I just think people go to the extreme and make it seem like if you live here, your kids won't go to college, and you'll be robbed, raped, or murdered. That's simply not the case.

Now this is not a shot at you adelphi, but that whole argument of "yeah we're bad, but at least we're not as bad as fill in the blank" has never held water with me. I think it's a cop out, an excuse, nothing more. It provides no incentive to try harder, and it's only a downward vicous cycle...we can find the worst high school in america, and the principal could say "hey at least we're not as bad as schools in Somalia or Mexico"...is that the standard we are holding people to? Heck no.
Back to PG...this is a suburb of DC, one of the few areas in the nation that has not been as badly affected by recessions due to the Federal Government. Thus comparing it to Cleveland and all the other rust belt cities is really disingenuous. By virtue of its location PG has had far more advantages handed to it than any of those poor cities you mentioned. If PG has such a high number of college educated white collar families earning well above the national median then we should see the results befitting it's status...PG should not have such low performing schools, rising crime rates and all the other negatives mentioned by other posters o this thread.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:34 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,316,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missimplicity View Post
Why be depressed? Put it into perspective. DC is a rough city. PG, for all it should be, is still a suburb of a rough city. It is a CLOSE suburb to the rough city. When I say close, I mean you can cross the street and be in MD. DC has been going through a process of gentrification, and that process has pushed a lot of low and very low income families into the county. Add to the influx in population, the misdealings of PG County Executive, and this is the result. The county needs reform. It has the bones of what it needs and there are several communities planned to help, but change takes time.
Nope that wont wash...plenty of suburbs surrounding rough cities that are doing just fine...here in Dallas, the city of Dallas is pretty rough, higher crime, poor schools, all the ills asssociated with the big city. Yet Dallas is surrounded by suburbs that are performing a whole lot better on just about every front. It can be done, heck it IS being done as we speak. And I'm sure there are examples of this in several other cities around the nation.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:38 AM

83 posts, read 120,373 times
Quote:
it's naive to think there are places where crime doesn't occur. Wherever there are people, there is crime. Some just aren't reported. Some are outside of the news reporting areas so we don't get the news here. Sometimes, if the crime is not sensational enough, it won't get reported. The only difference is the RATE and categories of crime.
Read carefully. I said there are places where the crimes don't require 7 squad cars for one call. But I digress.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Now this is not a shot at you adelphi, but that whole argument of "yeah we're bad, but at least we're not as bad as fill in the blank" has never held water with me. I think it's a cop out, an excuse, nothing more. It provides no incentive to try harder, and it's only a downward vicous cycle...we can find the worst high school in america, and the principal could say "hey at least we're not as bad as schools in Somalia or Mexico"...is that the standard we are holding people to? Heck no.
Back to PG...this is a suburb of DC, one of the few areas in the nation that has not been as badly affected by recessions due to the Federal Government. Thus comparing it to Cleveland and all the other rust belt cities is really disingenuous. By virtue of its location PG has had far more advantages handed to it than any of those poor cities you mentioned. If PG has such a high number of college educated white collar families earning well above the national median then we should see the results befitting it's status...PG should not have such low performing schools, rising crime rates and all the other negatives mentioned by other posters o this thread.

I totally agree. But when you listen to some people, you'd think PG WAS a Detroit or Cleveland. All I'm saying is that it's not that bad and it's getting better. Of course I want and desire PG to improve. There's always room for improvement and I'll be the first to say that PG needs to improve across the board in terms of crime, education, and economic development. And that's happening, albeit slower than we'd like. I don't think we're going backwards. I just think the criticism is a bit harsh. Victim of our own success? I dunno. I just don't like the whole "stay away from PG county if you move here" campaign. It's unnecessary. Especially since some people are moving from far worse areas.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missimplicity View Post
Read carefully. I said there are places where the crimes don't require 7 squad cars for one call. But I digress.

It's all about what people are willing to tolerate. For example, some people LOVE NYC. My wife is one of them. I don't care for it. Lots of crime in NYC, yet in pockets you have million dollar condos. Some people are built for urban areas with crime and love where they live. Others not so much.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Nope that wont wash...plenty of suburbs surrounding rough cities that are doing just fine...here in Dallas, the city of Dallas is pretty rough, higher crime, poor schools, all the ills asssociated with the big city. Yet Dallas is surrounded by suburbs that are performing a whole lot better on just about every front. It can be done, heck it IS being done as we speak. And I'm sure there are examples of this in several other cities around the nation.
So what exactly are you looking for? You are shooting down every argument any one of us makes. This is the reality in our area. You do know about the Sting operation again County Exec Jack Johnson and the thousands of dollars in CASH that he was trying to get rid of before the police came in? Do you know how many families in PG county live at or below the poverty level? I caution you that a lot has changed since ths site got its data in 2005. I almost wish PG didn't have the distinction for being the wealthiest whatever it is, because people expect so much. But like people have posted earlier, the people who make however much money and live in PG cannot put their money back into the county, because we have nothing to contribute it to. Depending on where you live, if you want decent shopping, and I'm talking just to buy clothes, you're going to Howard, Anne Arundel, or Montgomery counties in Maryland and if you're in Southern PG County, you're going into NOVA to shop. You may do ok in Bowie at the Town Center and they're slowly leasing out space at the Woodmore Town Center (I believe that's what it's called), but those are your options. And since there's no sales tax on food...oh well.

Yes, they're developing in Hyattsville, but all of these things are yet to come. I can name two large malls in PG, formerly anchored by department stores that are now achored by Target. Laurel Mall is like a wasteland.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
It's all about what people are willing to tolerate. For example, some people LOVE NYC. My wife is one of them. I don't care for it. Lots of crime in NYC, yet in pockets you have million dollar condos. Some people are built for urban areas with crime and love where they live. Others not so much.
Exactly. And like I said, when I was younger and single and not a mother, it didn't matter. Now, with a child, I can't do it. But I really do hope that the improvements come and things change here, because this is home.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:46 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,746,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
A couple of things:

School system: always been in the bottom three in MD, that goes back to when the County was majority white so race isn't a factor like some want to claim.

Development around Metro stations: remember that PG falls under MDNCPPC for zoning and that is a bureaucracy that puts all others to shame. The other reason is PG's reputation for official corruption, crime, poor schools, etc.
Yep, Deasy didn't pull PGCPS up that far. I think the school system needs to change the way it is run, and get rid of the institutionally ingrained way of doing things that has been around forever. How you get rid of such an ingrained culture, I frankly don't know.

I agree with you regarding development too. PG needs to stop building so many durned houses and get some corporate and better economic development going.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:05 PM

18,565 posts, read 15,862,250 times
Quote:
I totally agree. But when you listen to some people, you'd think PG WAS a Detroit or Cleveland. All I'm saying is that it's not that bad and it's getting better. Of course I want and desire PG to improve. There's always room for improvement and I'll be the first to say that PG needs to improve across the board in terms of crime, education, and economic development. And that's happening, albeit slower than we'd like. I don't think we're going backwards. I just think the criticism is a bit harsh. Victim of our own success? I dunno. I just don't like the whole "stay away from PG county if you move here" campaign. It's unnecessary. Especially since some people are moving from far worse areas.
Hard to compare PG to Detroit since PG benefits more directly from federal largesse but there are similarities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland