U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 03:22 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,255,057 times

Advertisements

[quote=RamblingMan;19705088]
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I think your assertion is kind of off base. Instead of comparing the income of people, it would make a lot more sense to compare housing cost. Let me give you an example straight from Exit Realty of housing sales in our area as of June 27:

Meatkins, maybe I'm missing your point, but I don't see how it is off base. I accept that housing prices are higher in some other areas, but I don't see how that's relevant. If incomes are similar, people can choose where they want to live. A family earning 100K can choose to pay more to live in Prince William or less in PG. I also pointed out that living in some of the more expensive areas might mean a smaller home or even renting.

I stand by my statement that most people aren't "forced" to live in PG any more than people of similar income levels are "forced" to live anywhere else. I think it is fair to say that many people in PG are choosing things like lower prices, bigger houses, and a shorter commute over better public schools.
Okay but everyone doesn't make the average income. Some are on the lower end, so what options do you think they have? Also income doesn't tell the whole story because people can still have debt that affect their disposable income, that's the reason why I thought housing cost were more pertinent.

If you really can't afford all of those other places, then where would you live? This is one of the cheapest places to live in this region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 03:04 PM

70 posts, read 124,779 times
I want to say that I dont think the school situation is the counties fault but the issue to me (as someone who attended and graduated from the PG county school system) is rather a problem with the "culture" of PG county kids. PG has built several new schools in the last decade. The problem to me seems to be the kids and the parents rather than the school system itself. I can guarantee that if PG was a majority white county that you could have the exact same schools and teachers and the county would not be notorious for its bad schools and underachievement. The kids are the problem, not the teachers or schools themselves. And yes I am black. Its just a simple fact that in PG county, education is not a huge priority with a substantial number of black kids or at least this is how it was when I graduated back in 98. Being smart and educated isnt cool.

The tools are there for kids in the PG county school system to do well. The main problem with the school system is that so many of the kids come from bad homes where education seems to be rarely expected, or made a focal point. Look at the other areas with a reputation for having bad schools in the area? DC and Bmore city have been notorious for having bad schools for years. So is it any coincidence that the three areas with the most significant percentages of blacks all have the worst schools?

Last edited by hbosch80; 07-02-2011 at 03:16 PM..

Old 07-02-2011, 06:07 PM

18,563 posts, read 15,848,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbosch80 View Post
I want to say that I dont think the school situation is the counties fault but the issue to me (as someone who attended and graduated from the PG county school system) is rather a problem with the "culture" of PG county kids. PG has built several new schools in the last decade. The problem to me seems to be the kids and the parents rather than the school system itself. I can guarantee that if PG was a majority white county that you could have the exact same schools and teachers and the county would not be notorious for its bad schools and underachievement. The kids are the problem, not the teachers or schools themselves. And yes I am black. Its just a simple fact that in PG county, education is not a huge priority with a substantial number of black kids or at least this is how it was when I graduated back in 98. Being smart and educated isnt cool.

The tools are there for kids in the PG county school system to do well. The main problem with the school system is that so many of the kids come from bad homes where education seems to be rarely expected, or made a focal point. Look at the other areas with a reputation for having bad schools in the area? DC and Bmore city have been notorious for having bad schools for years. So is it any coincidence that the three areas with the most significant percentages of blacks all have the worst schools?
It's no coincidence but you're not supposed to come to that conclusion. The political correct answer is to blame funding or the white man.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:54 AM

252 posts, read 437,816 times
this whole thread makes me sad

Old 11-13-2011, 08:40 PM

194 posts, read 383,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Okay I may have exaggerated but Deasy success trumps Hite thus far. The schools have dropped since Hite has taken over. Here goes an article that I was referring to about PG when Deasy was here:

Prince George's Students Post Unprecedented Gains on State Assessment Exams

I don't think that it's a coincidence that the achievement was high and then drop off after he left. It's a culture of "brotherism" that is killing the effectiveness of this school system.
The thing to remember with No Child Left Behind is that the passing score on those tests rises each year. The goal is to have 100% of children (including special education, still learning English, etc. -- everyone) operating at the determined level by 2014. The whole Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) standard is a rolling number; each year the grade needed to pass (make AYP) rises and every demographic subgroup has to make that year's Annual Measurable Objective (AMO) goal for the school to make AYP. You have one subgroup that misses the number, then entire school is considered as not making AYP. For example, for SY2010-11, AMO for Reading Proficiency in grades 3-6 was 86.1%; for SY2011-12, AMO will be 90.2%.

Which is all a long way to say that the schools had easier numbers to hit when Deasy was in charge than Hite does. Which is not to imply that I think Hite is doing everything right; far from it.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:01 PM

5,836 posts, read 3,800,137 times
In a word, and pardon me for using a four letter word...

... cops.

You need more of them in PG.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
In a word, and pardon me for using a four letter word...

... cops.

You need more of them in PG.
This is probably true. I recently went over Baltimore's FY 12 Budget since their market has taken a hit I was considering an investment. I figure I could buy a 100K home live in it for 2 years and rent it out. I wanted to see the likelihood of property taxes actually going down in the city which would make an investment more attractive.

I was stunned to find that the lion share of the city's expenditures went to cops. Just imagine if Black Americans in Baltimore would commit crime on the level of say Hispanics in Baltimore city how much savings there would be? You could layoff hundreds of cops and cut property taxes leading to revitalization of the city.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:42 PM

5,647 posts, read 6,429,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCR25 View Post
The thing to remember with No Child Left Behind is that the passing score on those tests rises each year. The goal is to have 100% of children (including special education, still learning English, etc. -- everyone) operating at the determined level by 2014. The whole Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) standard is a rolling number; each year the grade needed to pass (make AYP) rises and every demographic subgroup has to make that year's Annual Measurable Objective (AMO) goal for the school to make AYP. You have one subgroup that misses the number, then entire school is considered as not making AYP. For example, for SY2010-11, AMO for Reading Proficiency in grades 3-6 was 86.1%; for SY2011-12, AMO will be 90.2%.

Which is all a long way to say that the schools had easier numbers to hit when Deasy was in charge than Hite does. Which is not to imply that I think Hite is doing everything right; far from it.
The problem is that kids in other countries are in school longer. That's where we fall short. Our kids are in school for 6 hours and that's it. Why? Then we have to worry about latch key kids or kids getting into trouble while their parents are at work. Let's not mention the summer where kids are off for three months while their brains die from TV and video games.

Are school calendar hasn't been updated since the 1800s. Kids got summers off to work on the family farms back when a majority of the country was agricultural. Hellooooo people. We've gone way past that since the industrial age. how about our kids stay in school from 8am - 5pm? How about a year-round school calendar with a trimester format with three week breaks between each semester? Kids would be supervised and learning something until parents got off of work, and there would be no summer with mental drop-offs and kids getting into trouble for 12 weeks.

We need to think out of the box. But I'm sure parents would complain that the kids are overworked or that they can't take vacations, etc. Blah blah blah. Kids should be kids, etc. ,etc. What's the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Year in and year out we try different programs. Meanwhile, our kids are only in school for 6 hours. And 1 hour of that is lunch and/or recess. How about keeping them in a learning environment long enough for the lessons to stick? It's radical. But that's what we need right now.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:11 PM

194 posts, read 383,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
The problem is that kids in other countries are in school longer. That's where we fall short. Our kids are in school for 6 hours and that's it. Why? Then we have to worry about latch key kids or kids getting into trouble while their parents are at work. Let's not mention the summer where kids are off for three months while their brains die from TV and video games.

Are school calendar hasn't been updated since the 1800s. Kids got summers off to work on the family farms back when a majority of the country was agricultural. Hellooooo people. We've gone way past that since the industrial age. how about our kids stay in school from 8am - 5pm? How about a year-round school calendar with a trimester format with three week breaks between each semester? Kids would be supervised and learning something until parents got off of work, and there would be no summer with mental drop-offs and kids getting into trouble for 12 weeks.

We need to think out of the box. But I'm sure parents would complain that the kids are overworked or that they can't take vacations, etc. Blah blah blah. Kids should be kids, etc. ,etc. What's the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Year in and year out we try different programs. Meanwhile, our kids are only in school for 6 hours. And 1 hour of that is lunch and/or recess. How about keeping them in a learning environment long enough for the lessons to stick? It's radical. But that's what we need right now.
I don't believe they don't get a full hour of lunch+recess and summer's only ten weeks (or as short as nine, if they have to make up snow days), but otherwise, I agree completely. The school day and school year should both be longer; although I would argue that the longer school day should include both more class time and more recess/unstructured time.

On the legislative agenda for this coming term is a bill that would give PGCPS the opportunity to shift to a year-round school model, however the very little implementation talk I've seen seems to be leaning toward not extending the school year but just breaking up summer break so that you have longer breaks at other points of the year. The main goal is to halt the summer backslide that happens for many kids, not to add to the length of the school year. The big question will become costs; what will it mean in terms of staffing and salaries. Also some school facilities are rented out for summer programs; what sort of lost revenue will that mean for the school system. Year-round school is a good idea that needs serious consideration, but it needs to be managed and implemented correctly.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post

How long do you propose they stay in school 15 hrs like they do in Korea?

South Korea's exam suicides - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland