U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2010, 01:45 PM

31 posts, read 65,038 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Within the next couple of months I will be relocating to Maryland for my job in New Carrollton. I'm looking for a single family home in a quiet safe neighborhood for my fiance and I. We will be getting married next May and would like to start having children immediately, so the quality of the school district is important. We currently live on Long Island and are use to suburbia while also having access to local shopping and dining. Can anyone recommend some quality places to look that have low crime, great schools, and local shopping/town access for a budget of around $350K for a single family home? We will probably rent for the first few months while we really make sure we find the area that fits our needs. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 11:56 PM

1,463 posts, read 5,551,367 times
try
Bowie
Mitchellville/Largo
Laurel MD especially near 295
Upper Marlboro

Old 09-17-2010, 03:10 PM

2,380 posts, read 3,744,277 times
Prince George's has a reputation as being the worst county in the DC metro area.

With that said:
1. Some parts of Prince George's get a bum rap just from being in Prince George's.
2. I'm not sure what areas of Anne Arundel and Howard aren't all that great, but don't have the "PG" stigma.
3. So ... think twice, just don't assume 'cause you're in Howard County that you're A-OK, or that you gotta avoid EVERYTHING in Prince George's.

OP, how much of a commute are you willing to tolerate? That'll help us all out. If you're willing to tolerate 15-20 minutes driving to Vienna Metro, and then 1:15 on the Metro, or maybe a reverse commute of 45 minutes or so on the Beltway, that even opens up parts of Northern Virginia and/or alternately large parts of Howard and Anne Arundel counties.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:19 AM

I'm not opposed to a 45 minute total commute each morning by car and I would be willing to tolerate a total of an hour commute on the Metro each morning if it means it puts me in a safer, better schools, and more fitting area.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:20 AM

2,380 posts, read 3,744,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engine2 View Post
I'm not opposed to a 45 minute total commute each morning by car and I would be willing to tolerate a total of an hour commute on the Metro each morning if it means it puts me in a safer, better schools, and more fitting area.
If you have $350k and want a SFH, that probably rules out Northern Virginia (if you were able to spend $400k a few options would open up, but I'm assuming you don't want a complete fixer-upper.)

Anne Arundel County looks like it might work schoolwise.

I see several houses in your price range in Severna Park, Edgewater, and Odenton, although I can't testify to how traffic would be on Route 50 (it's pretty much an interstate between the Bay Bridge and the Beltway.) I assume, of course, you and your fiance are OK with older (50s-80s) homes.

Use greatschools.org and a MLS site like realtor.com to do a little searching of houses within a school zone you like.

Good luck.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:25 AM

Great thank you! I've heard some pretty good things about SP, Arnold, and Cape St. Claire in Anne Arundel County so I'll look into them. Yes I have no problem with older (1950's-80's) homes and we are willing to do some work to them. Thanks again for your assistance, I just want to make sure we look into areas with low crime and good schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland