Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2010, 01:26 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

Silver Spring MD: How is the Asian side of the multi-ethnic pie?

When you go downtown Silver Spring...much asian representation? How about the rest of Silver Spring outside of downtown.

I'm basically a guy who has a wife/kid and lived in Asia for over a decade...looking for a somewhat urban area to live in with some Asian representation. I have NOVA on the list, but exploring MD as well, as I do see Asian representation in Rockville, Gaithersburg, and Germantown...but simply seems too far out to me.

There does to be some Vietnamese, Korean, etc. Much of a community presense anywhere in SS..group of restaurants or a little area that would be a 'Little Saigon' or 'Little Seoul'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 06:38 AM

961 posts, read 2,025,402 times
You're in DC area/montgomery county. You'll be fine.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:09 AM

331 posts, read 903,573 times
^ Kakorot is on the money .

Wheaton is good also.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:06 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
There are many Asians in suburban Maryland, but more in NoVa, and you're not going to find the concentrations of Korean or Vietnamese businesses in Silver Spring or Wheaton that you'd find in Annandale or Centreville (Korean) or Falls Church (Vietnamese). Not even close.

Doesn't Rockville have the highest concentration of Asians in Montgomery County? Certainly Wootton HS is heavily Asian, and it's often asserted that the best Chinese restaurants in the DC area are in Rockville.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:13 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
There are many Asians in suburban Maryland, but more in NoVa, and you're not going to find the concentrations of Korean or Vietnamese businesses in Silver Spring or Wheaton that you'd find in Annandale or Centreville (Korean) or Falls Church (Vietnamese). Not even close.

Doesn't Rockville have the highest concentration of Asians in Montgomery County? Certainly Wootton HS is heavily Asian, and it's often asserted that the best Chinese restaurants in the DC area are in Rockville.
Makes sense...yeah that area of Falls Church/Annandale Virginia is looking pretty interesting...

I heard of Rockville with Chinese...

THanks for the thorough response. Sounds about right.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:52 PM

396 posts, read 1,104,973 times
I live in "outer" Silver Spring, closer to Olney and Wheaton than downtown Silver Spring; a significant number of our neighbors are Chinese, but only a few younger Chinese families...most are elderly and seem to speak only Mandarin.

I find Wheaton is more like a combination of "Little El Salvador" and "Little Bejing" with a few good Thai restaurants thrown in. There is a mostly Jewish area nearby as well.

While running errands I see significantly more Asian folks in the Rockville area; most, I think, are Chinese, but there are Korean, Vietnamese, and Thai restaurants. There is a grocery store called Korean Korner near the Silver Spring / Rockville border, which is usually really busy but the neighborhood surrounding it seems to be mostly hispanic, not Asian. I see significantly fewer Asian folks when in Gaithersburg, Germantown, or closer to downtown Silver Spring.

My younger Chinese neighbors tell us to go get Chinese food in Rockville and Wheaton. My husband's Japanese coworker (a sample of one) says he and his family prefers Northern Virginia, after living in both areas.

Rockville and downtown Silver Spring have, in general, a more "urban" vibe. Since Silver Spring is not incorporated (neither is Wheaton for that matter), it covers a large amount of area, some of it more suburban and some more rural, and is just as far flung as Rockville or Gaithersburg...just on the other end of the red line.

Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland