U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-20-2010, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,687 posts, read 34,675,136 times
Reputation: 9219

Advertisements

Just read a ton of threads about Silver Spring. About half say it is absolutely fine. Another half warn only if you are in the right area. Downtown seems to be favorably in the 'it's fine' with a few uncomfortable if people hang around the train station exit/entrance.

So....just trying to define what are some of the safety issues of SS? Is it mostly a downtown thing or exiting the subway?

Sounds like the entire territory is quite large. Outside of SS, is the rest of the place fairly residential? Or quite a few strip malls all around?

ANother guage, are there thick plexiglass at the gas stations and such as you drive around? I am imagining probably not.

I know it's all a relative thing. But just trying to get some different opinions and thoughts on SS and 'safety issues'.

Also, hoping to find out if it is just the downtown area that most people refer to SS. Is the rest mostly suburban and sprawled out? Is it basically standard things to watch - i.e. anywhere where there are tons of rentors and large apartments, is a 'watch out' area, and anywhere where there are a ton of SFH everywhere, probably fine?

What do all of you say here on DC's C-D forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-20-2010, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Columbia Heights, D.C.
331 posts, read 759,212 times
Reputation: 99
It really depends on what apart of Silver Spring, because its a very large area.

But heres the best I can break it down.

Downtown Silver Spring is the most vibrant part, mostly always bustling during the day and even on weekday nights you'll see a lot of traffic because its a major commercial/transit hub in the that part of Montgomery county. On the weekend nights (fri and sat) is when it gets the busiest because people from all over the area come to hangout, most are teenager and younger people. There are times when fights will breakout among teens and sometimes knives do get pulled out. Most violent in Downtown S.S. isn't random its more of a case of teen groups who don't get along and when they collide, things do happen. That aside, Downtown Silver Spring is still a relatively safe area nevertheless.

Outside of downtown Silver spring you have areas like Wheaton, Four Corners, White Oak, Briggs Chaney, Fairland, Aspen Hill, and Glenmont. Most of all of these areas are relatively safe however I will point out some places you do need to avoid.

-Anything in the Castle Blvd area of Briggs Chaney, you might just wanna avoid Briggs Chaney period.
-Lockwood Drive and Stewart lane in White Oak
-The apartments on Hewitt in Aspen Hill
-Bel-pre road in the Layhill area
-Rosemary Hills just west of Downtown Silver Spring
-Sligo Ave on the southern section of Downtown Silver Spring

Not saying all of these areas are like the South Bronx, but they do have higher crime than other areas of MoCo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2010, 09:02 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,687 posts, read 34,675,136 times
Reputation: 9219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtomat Kalashnikova View Post
It really depends on what apart of Silver Spring, because its a very large area.

But heres the best I can break it down.

Downtown Silver Spring is the most vibrant part, mostly always bustling during the day and even on weekday nights you'll see a lot of traffic because its a major commercial/transit hub in the that part of Montgomery county. On the weekend nights (fri and sat) is when it gets the busiest because people from all over the area come to hangout, most are teenager and younger people. There are times when fights will breakout among teens and sometimes knives do get pulled out. Most violent in Downtown S.S. isn't random its more of a case of teen groups who don't get along and when they collide, things do happen. That aside, Downtown Silver Spring is still a relatively safe area nevertheless.

Outside of downtown Silver spring you have areas like Wheaton, Four Corners, White Oak, Briggs Chaney, Fairland, Aspen Hill, and Glenmont. Most of all of these areas are relatively safe however I will point out some places you do need to avoid.

-Anything in the Castle Blvd area of Briggs Chaney, you might just wanna avoid Briggs Chaney period.
-Lockwood Drive and Stewart lane in White Oak
-The apartments on Hewitt in Aspen Hill
-Bel-pre road in the Layhill area
-Rosemary Hills just west of Downtown Silver Spring
-Sligo Ave on the southern section of Downtown Silver Spring

Not saying all of these areas are like the South Bronx, but they do have higher crime than other areas of MoCo.
Doesn't sound so bad at all. Sounds quite spread out - I mean the sketch areas.

Curious, as I was reading about Takoma Park...that area of Silver Spring where it mixes in with Takoma Park...is pretty good? I think I was reading the 'other' side of Takoma Park was the sketchy area...just confirming.

For the most part, I am seeing that most of Silver Spring is probably pretty good then, with just some exceptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2010, 09:15 PM
 
512 posts, read 1,398,064 times
Reputation: 216
Silver Spring is pretty spread out. I'm from P.G. I don't think there are places in Montgomery county that rival P.G.'s bad areas. Really I couldn't give you a specific area to stay way from because quite truthfully I live in what one poster has labled as a bad area. I feel safe here. I would believe that if this was Silver Spring 20 years ago in the downtown portion, than I would say there. Other than that I can't really tell you what parts are bad.

Now with that out of the way if your not use to a diverse area then, a lot of places such as Takoma Park, Wheaton and Silver Spring will probably make you feel uncomfortable. Really treat Silver Spring like any urban area. Understand that most places around here you'll feel safe however there are some areas you need to use common sense. But don't feel discourage, take a drive around the area and come and see what works for you.

Again I'm a dude and most of the time I view Montgomery County in a different light than I do my home county of P.G. but I am very well aware that there are some spots you just have to use sense. If you don't feel comfortable then I would trust my gut. Most people who would view Silver Spring as unsafe are generally those who think SE DC and PG are Baghdad. Anyway that is my two cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2010, 09:43 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,687 posts, read 34,675,136 times
Reputation: 9219
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post
Silver Spring is pretty spread out. I'm from P.G. I don't think there are places in Montgomery county that rival P.G.'s bad areas. Really I couldn't give you a specific area to stay way from because quite truthfully I live in what one poster has labled as a bad area. I feel safe here. I would believe that if this was Silver Spring 20 years ago in the downtown portion, than I would say there. Other than that I can't really tell you what parts are bad.

Now with that out of the way if your not use to a diverse area then, a lot of places such as Takoma Park, Wheaton and Silver Spring will probably make you feel uncomfortable. Really treat Silver Spring like any urban area. Understand that most places around here you'll feel safe however there are some areas you need to use common sense. But don't feel discourage, take a drive around the area and come and see what works for you.

Again I'm a dude and most of the time I view Montgomery County in a different light than I do my home county of P.G. but I am very well aware that there are some spots you just have to use sense. If you don't feel comfortable then I would trust my gut. Most people who would view Silver Spring as unsafe are generally those who think SE DC and PG are Baghdad. Anyway that is my two cents.
That's the deciphering I'm trying to do. WIth DC and it's large variation of income levels, class levels...it is difficult to decipher posters and where they are coming from.

Actually diversity is one of the appealing parts of SS. Particularly if it results in some interesting restaurants and people around. From looking at demographics, it looks like white, black (including Ethiopian and Africa-Africa) and Latino is well-represented. Seems like Asian a little bit less.

Diversity aside...looks like quite a few interesting houses and neighborhoods...appears quite a bit more walkable than even the most walkable areas of NOVA (Falls Church, Arlington). Even seems like forests in quite a bit of SS as well. Real interesting area. Although at the same time, it does look overwhelmingly just residential without that many places to walk to...outside of the downtown area anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2010, 05:53 AM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
12,553 posts, read 18,921,472 times
Reputation: 7194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That's the deciphering I'm trying to do. WIth DC and it's large variation of income levels, class levels...it is difficult to decipher posters and where they are coming from.
It's difficult because posters go overboard in their descriptions of areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2010, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Silver Spring,Maryland
884 posts, read 2,311,222 times
Reputation: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That's the deciphering I'm trying to do. WIth DC and it's large variation of income levels, class levels...it is difficult to decipher posters and where they are coming from.

Actually diversity is one of the appealing parts of SS. Particularly if it results in some interesting restaurants and people around. From looking at demographics, it looks like white, black (including Ethiopian and Africa-Africa) and Latino is well-represented. Seems like Asian a little bit less.

Diversity aside...looks like quite a few interesting houses and neighborhoods...appears quite a bit more walkable than even the most walkable areas of NOVA (Falls Church, Arlington). Even seems like forests in quite a bit of SS as well. Real interesting area. Although at the same time, it does look overwhelmingly just residential without that many places to walk to...outside of the downtown area anyways.

Search CrimeReports.com

Instead of giving you my opinion I am going to give you some facts. Yes, there is crime in Silver Spring. BUT there is crime everywhere in this region. Don't let anyone on here tell you there there is no crime in Bethesda, or Arlington or where ever. Most is theft. Less violent in nature then the crimes committed in SE or parts of PG. Be aware of your surroundings and you will be fine.

About the area. Silver Spring-downtown is the heart of the area so the walkability factor is the best in that area. Woodmore/Four Corners does have some shops off Colesville and homes in walking distance. However, SS is a largely residential area and VERY spread out. I get VERY offended on here when people say "Oh Silver Spring is bad" hahahaha. The area goes all the way up to Burtonsville and there are some VERY nice subdivisions in Colesville, Burtonsville, White Oak, Wheaton, and Fairland. Its a mix in cultures, races, religion (New Hampshire is known as the highway to heaven because of the number of churches). Near my home there are a good number of Asian churches, One I know is Vietnamese, I also see Asians in my neighborhood. On my street is 2 black families (I'm 1), Dominician, Latino, White and Asian.

Its no utopia but I do like my area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2010, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Columbia Heights, D.C.
331 posts, read 759,212 times
Reputation: 99
I don't care what no one says, Castle Blvd is not safe that area is crime ridden despite on how it may look to you. Someone was just killed around there for no reason. If you value you peace and life, don't move in Briggs Chaney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2010, 05:42 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth, TX
9,397 posts, read 13,232,718 times
Reputation: 6219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtomat Kalashnikova View Post
I don't care what no one says, Castle Blvd is not safe that area is crime ridden despite on how it may look to you. Someone was just killed around there for no reason. If you value you peace and life, don't move in Briggs Chaney.
If that's what you say about Silver Spring I'd love to hear your thoughts on certain areas in SE and NE DC :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2010, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
Reputation: 5405
Silver Spring seems fine to me. It's more urban than suburban, so you have to look at it from that perspective. Downtown SS is active and safe IMO. Things happen I'm sure though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top