Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 12:37 PM

10 posts, read 13,682 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm orig from the northeast. looking to head back that way. Any suggestions on good possibilities for a single, prof, artsy but not hippie type. love outdoors, biking, walking. safe. close to dc. Since i am single family only communities are not great. possibly a mixture. hoping to not move again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 12:46 PM

Default that was MD DC for single 40something relocating

It was the md dc area not me. thanks

Old 02-23-2013, 08:38 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,845 times
ok where is your job and what is your budget?

Old 02-24-2013, 05:07 AM

Hi, my job will be in the counseling field. I do several different types of sectors. If I were to buy, it would be in the $200,000-250,000 range. could spend slightly more (i am sure that is quite low for that area)

Old 02-24-2013, 08:10 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdazzle2 View Post
Hi, my job will be in the counseling field. I do several different types of sectors. If I were to buy, it would be in the $200,000-250,000 range. could spend slightly more (i am sure that is quite low for that area)
The budget would get you a 1 or 2 bedroom condo in the close-in areas. Try Takoma Park, Hyattsville, College Park, Greenbelt, and the New Hampshire Avenue corridor of Silver Spring. There are also a few SFH's in that price range, but they seem to sell very quickly if they are in a decent neighborhood.

Last edited by goldenage1; 02-24-2013 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: added Hyattsville

Old 02-24-2013, 12:42 PM

thanks for taking your time to answer.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:38 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,845 times
Quote:
With no kids, I'd be looking at Hyattsville, Cheverly, Bowie ... maybe Silver Spring or Takoma Park.

Are you working in one place or a variety of places?

Old 02-27-2013, 12:53 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,569,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
With no kids, I'd be looking at Hyattsville, Cheverly, Bowie ... maybe Silver Spring or Takoma Park.

Are you working in one place or a variety of places?
How did Bowie slip in there? That's not as close to DC as the others you've mentioned. Takoma Park is more family oriented and way out of the price range. Hyattsville and Mount Ranier would be the best bet for the price and the artsy feel as they are part of the Arts District. Mount Ranier is about to have more development in the next few years. College Park or Riverdale Park perhaps. Wheaton around the metro station comes to mind.

Gateway Arts District

Old 03-04-2013, 07:26 AM

1,261 posts, read 693,950 times
Quote:
$250,000? Not that much on the market for that price range.....unless you go to an area that is just emerging, like NE or SW

Old 03-05-2013, 07:57 AM

434 posts, read 1,118,267 times
Do you want to live in a neighborhood of single family homes ? If not, then don't buy a SFH.

I think I kind of like the Outer Capitol Hill area for you. Close to the city but still residential. Excellent mix of everyone and everything, and I think you can afford a condo there on the fringes of Capitol Hill.

My sister is 35 and has lived there for years. She lives on the fringes and likes the mix.

The other option would be the close-in Virginia suburbs on the western side of the city - Ballston, Clarendon, Arlington. But I'm not sure those condos are in your budget.

If getting a condo is more of a priority than living inside the city, then do check out Hyattsville, specifically a development called University Town Center. It's basically a failed mixed-use development but this area is on a huge upswing (look for posts on this forum by a guy named AdelphiSky who writes frequently about development) and it is a great time to buy one of these condos. There are also higher end apartment complexes near by that you can rent for a while until you decide to buy.

The nearby neighborhood of University Park and Hyattsville would have small SFH for under $250,000. They wouldn't be fancy at that price but certainly liveable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland