U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2010, 08:21 PM

96 posts, read 323,765 times

Advertisements

I was looking at this house in upper marlboro and i really love it. it has oil heating which i never heard of before (originally from the west coast) does anyone also have oil heating? who do you go to and is it cheaper? what are the safety concerns with having oil heating. i checked out the house, the furnace or boiler or whatever it is, is in the basement and there is this slight oil smell, maybe sweet. is that normal? does the smell go away? if it is normal and wont go away, what do you do to lessen the smell????

thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 08:25 PM

12 posts, read 28,952 times
I'm not sure about the smell, you would definitely want to find that out in the home inspection, or get a oil company to check out the furnace and make sure it is working correctly.

I use Besche, but there is also SMO, Griffith and probably others... They do a price locking contract and I pay every month instead of just in the winter. I think I pay around $130 a month and my house is 1500 sf., so, that isn't great, but it may be less than a heat pump and my house feels "warmer" than a heat pump as well.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:43 PM

thanks spicey. ive been looking online and i cant find any prices. the house i want to get is three floors about 2400sqft. that doesnt sound bad at all, im renting a house about 2k sq ft and it has gas heat. in the winter i spend about 250 a month because this place isnt insulated or poorely insulated. in the summer i spend the same amount for the a/c units *sigh* and im sure i use less. so are there any electrical costs involved?? i dont know how oil heating works.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:26 AM

does anyone else have anything to add? im finding it really hard to find any information about oil heating online. ive gone to different forums and the information i come across is dodgey or nonspecific. how expensive is it to have the oil heating system upgraded???

Old 09-29-2010, 11:33 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,732,962 times
Maybe you can ask the current owners who they use and the cost? I personally would rather purchase a home with the heating system I wanted rather than undertake an upgrade. Does oil heat mean the house has radiators? If so, I hate those things.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:42 PM

32,106 posts, read 39,170,046 times
A new furnace will cost anywhere from $3K-$8K depending on the size and the heating load it has to carry. Oil heat is generally cheaper than electric heat pump. Oil furnaces will typically last about 20 years with yearly servicing and cleaning. I replaced mine in 1995. The original had been installed in 1952. Newr ones are more efficient, mine runs about 80 to 85 per cent efficiency. To get much more than that you really have to go high tech and high dollar.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:39 PM

i cant ask the owners, its banked owned and the selling realtor doesnt know either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland