Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2010, 02:24 PM

21 posts, read 157,868 times

Advertisements

I am moving to DC area soon next month. I have been looking for apartments in Bethesda area. I have noticed that the apartments in downtown Bethesda is more expensive than North Bethesda. I would need some information from friends on this forum: what is the real difference between downtown Bethesda vs. North Bethesda? Is North Bethesda safe?

I am interested in an apartment located at 5750 Bou Avenue. I looked at the area on google map. it seems it is in the heart of shopping malls. Can someone please share some information about this area? is it good idea living in an apartment which is literately inside a shopping mall? Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 08:30 PM

52 posts, read 175,421 times
North Bethesda includes the White Flint metro area, Shopping Mall and apartments in the area that are less expensive than downtown Bethesda which is about 3 miles and 3 metro stops away. Like anywhere else, if you like the area and it works for your commute, then North Bethesda can be just as nice as Downtown Bethesda, but DTB has more restaurants and organized activities ( farmers markets, music in the parks, etc) than it's cousin to the North. Hope this helps

Old 10-01-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opequon View Post
North Bethesda includes the White Flint metro area, Shopping Mall and apartments in the area that are less expensive than downtown Bethesda which is about 3 miles and 3 metro stops away. Like anywhere else, if you like the area and it works for your commute, then North Bethesda can be just as nice as Downtown Bethesda, but DTB has more restaurants and organized activities ( farmers markets, music in the parks, etc) than it's cousin to the North. Hope this helps
Thanks for the information. I assume North Bethesda is also very safe, right? Thanks.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:48 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJResident View Post
Thanks for the information. I assume North Bethesda is also very safe, right? Thanks.
Very safe.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:00 AM

35 posts, read 56,615 times
Bethesda is closer to DC, more urban and has more Restaurants, bars, etc. Bethesda also has night life which North Bethesda lacks (outside of Dave & Busters).

North Bethesda is more suburban. Thats the main difference. Both are equally safe.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:36 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,010,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJResident View Post
I am interested in an apartment located at 5750 Bou Avenue. I looked at the area on google map. it seems it is in the heart of shopping malls. Can someone please share some information about this area? is it good idea living in an apartment which is literately inside a shopping mall? Thanks very much.
I think that everyone above comparing the safety and amenities of North Bethesda to downtown Bethesda was thinking about the White Flint area and didn't actually look where Bou Avenue is located. Bou Avenue is actually just south of Twinbrook Parkway and there is a big difference between living there and living in downtown Bethesda. Even though Bou Avenue technically has a mailing address of North Bethesda, most people consider that area to be Rockville.

I think that you'd be much happier living in downtown Bethesda. (BTW, I lived four blocks from the Bethesda Metro station for 10 years before relocating out of the area earlier this year.)

Old 10-05-2010, 12:26 PM

9 posts, read 71,877 times
I have lived in downtown Bethesda for 6 years and love it. My gf and I have been looking into moving to N. Bethesda only because you can get more for your money and afford a newer(a few are brand new) place and possibly save some money as well. At this point though we prefer to live in an older high rise to be able to live where we want in downtown Bethesda and walking distance to everything. The only thing that we dont have that we wish we did was a washer/dryer in the apartment instead of a laundry room in the basement.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjros View Post
I have lived in downtown Bethesda for 6 years and love it. My gf and I have been looking into moving to N. Bethesda only because you can get more for your money and afford a newer(a few are brand new) place and possibly save some money as well. At this point though we prefer to live in an older high rise to be able to live where we want in downtown Bethesda and walking distance to everything. The only thing that we dont have that we wish we did was a washer/dryer in the apartment instead of a laundry room in the basement.
Hi danjros: Thanks for the reply. Do you have any recommended apartment communities in North Bethesda that you have looked at? Thanks.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:39 AM

9 posts, read 71,877 times
Well I have only looked online at this point, havent taken any tours recently. Mostly looking on apartments.com and similar sites and reading reviews online. Some new ones I have looked at online are the Morgan, Monterey, Jefferson @ Inigos Crossing, as well the Grand, Strathmore Court, and Fenestra in Rockville town square. I dont really have any recommendations though for North Bethesda because I probably only have seen what you have looking online.

I think you should definitely look at downtown Bethesda apartments though to see if you like the area and the different apartment buildings. It is definitely a different feel and a much more walkable community than N Bethesda/Rockville, which is mostly strip malls and shopping centers. After looking at prices for North Bethesda though vs how much I pay now, I am probably staying in downtown, it would have to be much cheaper or be much nicer for me to leave where I am at now.

Downtown I have lived in Bethesda Place(very nice and a block from metro), Triangle Towers(older but renovated and very large 1 bedrooms) and the Glens on Battery(much older, but decent and much cheaper)

The thing that gets me though is the parking fee for most apartments in the area, both downtown and N.Bethesda. I have paid $90-120/month to park my car and North Bethesda seems to have similar fees, maybe a tad cheaper(Strathmore court is one that I think is free though)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland