U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 05:26 PM

96 posts, read 323,871 times

Advertisements

every neighborhood has its ups and down. i live in hyattsville and my street is safe. we have a cop living a few houses down, and the area is mixed with different races and sexual orientation. you can *tell* if the neighborhood is bad. its not all ghetto war zone in hyattsville as some people say. check out zillow.com and hotpads.com you will be able to see whats for rent on the map and how close it is to shops, metros and the highway. i take the prince georges metro line into dc and it takes about 25min. my friend gets on at greenbelt and it almost takes and hour *somehow* (i dont know what happens but he says it takes an hour to get to his stop which i think is lenfant plaza).

those sites should help you. just so you know south east d.c. is considered not a 100% safe area (though i have 2 family members there and nothing happened). north west dc and Montgomery county are the "high end, high income" areas. directly east of dc is a good area and so is the southern part, but once you go outside the beltway (the big ole circle highway) your commute is gonna jump to an hour and since people get retarded on rain sprinkles and heck even shine, theres always gonna be an accident (especially at the lorton exit, wtf is up with that people??) if you dont want your car broken into get a house with a garage or apartment complex with a parking garage. dc/md/va area is pretty strange, but then again so is the east coast. im from the westcoast and have lived here 2 years. their are pockets of good areas around here. one street is beautiful with white picket fences with children playing in the streets and neighbors saying hello and then the next street theres someone selling crack. im in a bubble of a good neighborhood but the surrounding streets not so much. try those websites and then let us know if a particular area strikes your interest. upper marlboro is good, but again commute!!!! and make sure the job your getting allows you sick days or paid days for snow-in days because if you do get out in upper marlboro you may not be able to make it in cause the metros are down and the snow plows havent gotten to your area yet. *just a heads up*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 05:40 PM

10,716 posts, read 19,061,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
Ill be working in DC across from Alexandria, VA

I hope you like your car, you're looking at a terrible commute.

Why aren't you considering parts of VA?
I agree, but that's a pretty low budget. Depending on where in DC, if you were in VA and can take Metro, that's the way to go. (side note, spellcheck is your friend)

Old 10-12-2010, 10:02 PM

12 posts, read 13,993 times
looked at Upper Marlboro, southern bowie, Suitland, Waldorf, Brandywine, Clinton, Berwyn Heights.

The part of south bowie/upper Marlboro i looked out was nice. Waldorf's shopping was convenient and parts looked decent. Suitland... No thanks... Same with Clinton and berwyn.

I spoke with a police dispatcher in upper Marlboro. She said Annapolis was worth the commute... Stay way from SE DC's surrounding areas (shootings etc) Upper Marlboro and bowie there is some car break in's Which would be a serious problem if i brought the weekend toy down with me.
http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/v...w/IMG_8259.jpg

Im still liking Annapolis because it is a close commute home to NJ to be with friends on weekends. But i can see Upper Marlboro working out.

Edit: Just found a place in Largo. How is it there?

Never mind more terrible reviews:
http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate...partments.html

Ill probably go look in person. Cant really trust reviews... people probably only post if something is wrong.

Last edited by Adam95GT; 10-12-2010 at 11:09 PM..

Old 10-13-2010, 07:59 AM

789 posts, read 2,227,757 times
^ move to VA...

Old 10-17-2010, 06:28 PM

18,563 posts, read 15,777,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam95GT View Post
I just got a job offer and im looking to relocate to the DC area. Im a 23 year old male from south jersey and want somewhere that feels like home. I dont like city life but the suburbs would be great. Im not going to be making alot of money (under 50k) but reasonable for an entry position, so the cheaper the better. Im also in 100k of student loan debt. But the job is an excellent opportunity with plenty of room to grow.

My ideal place would be:
Safe (dont want me or my g/f in harms way)
Low on crime (i have a summer/weekend car dont want it vandalized)
Priced reasonably under $1200 if possible
Decent commute back to NJ for weekends

Ill be working in DC across from Alexandria, VA

I was told to stay out of Oxan Hill area...

I was looking at Waldrof,MD but have heard mixed things.

Ive heard great things about Annapolis but the commute would be a little far.

Ill be going down tomorrow and staying at a friends in St. Michales to look at a few areas just to scope it out a little better.

Any suggestions???? Ideas of where to live would be great. Id like to stay under an hour commute. I understand the farther i commute the cheaper places i will find.

Ive been looking on craigslist, any other places to look?
Try looking in Alexandria. $1200 will get you a so/so spot there but the city seems geared towards young professionals.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:32 PM

18,563 posts, read 15,777,118 times
Quote:
looked at Upper Marlboro, southern bowie, Suitland, Waldorf, Brandywine, Clinton, Berwyn Heights.

The part of south bowie/upper Marlboro i looked out was nice. Waldorf's shopping was convenient and parts looked decent. Suitland... No thanks... Same with Clinton and berwyn.

I spoke with a police dispatcher in upper Marlboro. She said Annapolis was worth the commute... Stay way from SE DC's surrounding areas (shootings etc) Upper Marlboro and bowie there is some car break in's Which would be a serious problem if i brought the weekend toy down with me.
http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/v...w/IMG_8259.jpg

Im still liking Annapolis because it is a close commute home to NJ to be with friends on weekends. But i can see Upper Marlboro working out.

Edit: Just found a place in Largo. How is it there?

Never mind more terrible reviews:
Steeplechase Apartments Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Largo apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

Ill probably go look in person. Cant really trust reviews... people probably only post if something is wrong.
Largo is nice, convenient to Metro.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:48 AM

12 posts, read 13,993 times
Thanks! im going down on thursday to take a look at some places.

Anyone know any good apartment complexes in Largo or upper marlboro?

Im going to take a look at Steeplechase and Northampton.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:51 AM

520 posts, read 816,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
I'm not sure you understand the commute you'd be getting yourself into. Annapolis to Alexandria is easily 1.5 hours each way in rush hour.

Reiflame is right. Annapolis? Well, it also depends on what time you plan on getting into the office and what time you plan on leaving. If your job is flexible enough to let you start @ 5:30-6am, then, you may be good. But, you will still be pushing up to that hour.

Waldorf is an okay bet. Brandywine is starting to get some development, but I do not know what the prices are like.

You could look into Dale City, but that, again, may put you back at 1+ hours, depending on your start time.

Personally, I believe that you can find great neighborhoods in any area. Maybe I'm saying this because I grew up in Ward 5 of DC, right off of Rhode Island and South Dakota Avenue. And, you being from Jersey, an urban area similar to DC (in some respects), may think the same. I now live in Fort Washington, MD in a SF home and feel pretty safe. I mean, I occassionally get e-mails from our Community President about a break in here or there (not close to the house, but in the area), but trust me those things happen in affluent areas just as frequently as they do middle-class neighborhoods.

When you said, "23" and "New Jersey", I immediately thought U Street, Brookland at the least. Heck even Alexandria.

But, if you want suburbs, I'd look into Largo, Dale City, Waldorf. People are also going to Gambrills, MD, now, and that area is building up (but still suburbs).

Old 10-18-2010, 12:10 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,217,401 times
Quote:
Thanks! im going down on thursday to take a look at some places.

Anyone know any good apartment complexes in Largo or upper marlboro?

Im going to take a look at Steeplechase and Northampton.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Don't do it. Please don't do it. All the apartments in Largo are known to for car break-ins except Largo Center Apartments. Largo has one of the highest incidents of car break-ins in the county and Steeplechase and Northampton are not exceptions. I had a friend that lived in Northampton that had his car broken into and I've read of tons of break-ins on other websites. If you want to know more about these places go to apartmentratings.com.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:14 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,217,401 times
If you want to get a decent price place in Upper Marlboro, which isn't bad, or maybe even South Bowie, you should probably try to rent a condo in these areas through a realtor. The prices are comparable if not cheaper than apartments and give you a broader range of choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland