U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2010, 01:49 PM

688 posts, read 1,025,400 times

Advertisements

We are a couple in our 50's, empty nester's, he has been offered a job in Rockville.
Currently living in Albany, NY (hate it) & have been here 2 1/2 yrs. Before that Iowa/Nebraska.
We have LOVED Saratoga Springs, NY in the summer and frequent trips into NYC~
Looking for ideas as to where to start our search for a place to live~ ideally, a safe walkable community with rest/bars, music (some nightlife!), reasonable housing costs (we will rent for at least a year) and a commute that doesnt kill; public transportation, aka trains, are GREAT!
I lived in Annandale VA about 30 years ago, he lived in Williamsburg VA about 30 yrs ago so we really dont have current knowledge of the area.
Appreciate any thoughts / advice! BTW, I used city-data for supplemental info when we moved here to Albany and I wish I had paid closer attention- the comments have proven soooo true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 07:30 PM

33 posts, read 70,747 times
I would suggest Kentlands/Lakelands at Gaithersburg, very close to Shady Grove. It's a master planned community where there are quite a few restaurants, a cinema, wholefoods, Giant, Lowes, Kmart, etc, and farmer's market on Saturday. All within walking distance to residents in the community. Very lovely and safe and quiet community.

King Farm in Rockville is also a planned walkable community. It's about 20 minutes walk to Shady Grove metro station (but I don't suggest walking to that station. Better drive or use Community shuttle bus) There is a Safeway there and some more restaurants. Very safe and nice neighborhood too.

Downtown Bethesda is great for walking, entertainment, restaurants, everything, and easy walk to metro station. But it's super expensive to rent there.

Hope it helps.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:31 PM

Thanks! Any idea about rental costs in the areas you mentioned? Need 1 bdrm; I may telecommute, so an area outside of the bedroom to use as office space would be nice. We must stay under $1500/ month.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:50 PM

ALso, DH's place of employment will be very near the Rockville metro stop , on Research Blvd

Old 10-16-2010, 12:45 PM

33 posts, read 70,747 times
I am not sure how much rent would cost in the three areas I mentioned, but I feel under $1500 might be too tight for apartment at Bethesda. I would call King Farm and Kentlands first to find out the rent.
here are some apartments at at Kentlands and King Farm. You can see some pictures there. Welcome to Colonnade#

Huntington at King Farm (http://www.huntingtonkingfarm.com/templates/template_jpi_c/default2.asp?w=huntingtonatkingfarm - broken link)

Both communities offer condo on sale. I feel you can even purchase a condo there with your budget. But the condo fee at both places are quite high, like $350 ~ $380 a month.

Kentlands has Bus 56 going to Rockville metro station and it's about 40 minutes ride. Or you can take Bus 76, a 15 minutes ride to Shady Grove metro station which is one stop away from Rockville station.

King Farm is right off Shady Grove metro station, and there is community bus taking you to the station.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:55 PM

Thank you very much for the info!

Old 10-19-2010, 03:23 PM

84 posts, read 327,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marska View Post
We are a couple in our 50's, empty nester's, he has been offered a job in Rockville.
Currently living in Albany, NY (hate it) & have been here 2 1/2 yrs. Before that Iowa/Nebraska.
We have LOVED Saratoga Springs, NY in the summer and frequent trips into NYC~
Looking for ideas as to where to start our search for a place to live~ ideally, a safe walkable community with rest/bars, music (some nightlife!), reasonable housing costs (we will rent for at least a year) and a commute that doesnt kill; public transportation, aka trains, are GREAT!
I lived in Annandale VA about 30 years ago, he lived in Williamsburg VA about 30 yrs ago so we really dont have current knowledge of the area.
Appreciate any thoughts / advice! BTW, I used city-data for supplemental info when we moved here to Albany and I wish I had paid closer attention- the comments have proven soooo true!

Try some of the condos near Rio (Washingtonian Center in Gaithersburg). A two-bedroom rents for about $1500/month. They are all near walkable areas.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:47 PM

Thanks all! Any other suggestions??

Old 10-21-2010, 04:00 PM

5 posts, read 10,083 times
Dont forget to look near Grovesner/Strathmore. Nice and near shopping, Dc and Strathmore Madison. Very mature community!! with trees!!

Old 10-21-2010, 08:20 PM

Great ideas! Please keep them coming! Thanks to everyone for the suggestions-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland